Canada

Damien435

Why is it that every American is expected to make one trip to Canada in their lifetime as if it were Mecca? I'm getting really sick of hearing people, especially Europeans, say "What, you've never been to Canada!?" as if there's some rule that says we have to visit Canada. Why? It's like Montana or Minnesota but with fewer people, and it might be right next door but we're talking about the second and third largest countries in the world by area, it's not like you can take a train from Washington to Ottawa and get there in under two hours like can be done from London to Paris. I live in South Dakota, pretty far north, but it's still an eight hour drive just to reach the border and another couple hours before the first decent size city. With how large, populous and diverse the United States is I fail to see why Americans needed to travel overseas to get an idea of what diversity is, especially when we live in the most diverse nation in the world.

So please tell me, why is it my duty to travel to Canada once in my life? Most people go to Canada to get away from civilization, not immerse themselves in the local culture, they want to be the only cabin on the lake with all the fish to themselves. This isn't anything against Canada, I do hope to visit someday but like I just said, it will be a cabin on a remote lake, not a city, and I don't see how that makes me more multi-cultural.

If Canada with two languages, dual language signage and essentially two cultures, one of whom wants to ceceed, is a model of cultural diversity,... give me a monoculture anyday

I'm not attacking Canada here, I just don't understand why it is absolutely necessary for an American to travel there before they can be considered well rounded and I don't understand why we have to travel to a far less diverse nation to do so.

I guess you just have to see another first-world country to really grasp what the rest of the world is like and that not everyone else on Earth kneels down to America.

Never been to Canada. I guess that makes me unworldly. Forget that I've moved so often that I've had problems because of the lack of consistency in my life... proven like no other like the seven white belts I've had to wear for Tae Kwon Do. WE'RE MOVING AGAIN???? Eventually I became known as the legendary white belt that could beat the crap out of Black Belts who rated 2nd Dan. Frustrating. Finally got my Black Belt. Quit Tae Kwon Do altogether.

I guess you just have to see another first-world country to really grasp what the rest of the world is like and that not everyone else on Earth kneels down to America.

That would be my guess.

Plus, Canada is quite the multicultural society. We may only have 2 official languages (which, let's be honest, is more than the US), but we've got plenty of immigrants from almost every part of the planet. In British Columbia, there are plenty of Chinese, Japanese, etc... The Prairies are filled will middle-to-eastern Europeans. Ontario...well...they're just a special breed in their own right and have a boatload of immigrants from everywhere. Québec is French...sort of with a lot of other stuff mixed in. And Atlantic Canada has the rest.

And from what I've heard, we treat multiculturalism different than the US. I could be wrong on this, so feel free to correct me, but America is a giant melting pot for cultures. You will be American and that's it. In Canada, you can be whatever culture you want, so long as somewhere along the line, you acknowledge being a Canadian.

Just my two cents on the matter. Feedback on this is welcome.

Back