Canada rejects US deserter - Page 2

--

March 26th, 2005  
Monster

Wow!
Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Who ever heard of defecting to Canada, anyway?
March 26th, 2005  
CavScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster
Wow!
Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Who ever heard of defecting to Canada, anyway?

A lot of folks made a run for the border during the Vietnam conflict. This isn't new thats for sure but it still makes me sad to know we have these kind of folks in our military.
March 26th, 2005  
Charge 7

I don't know how anybody could join a volunteer force, gain a volunteer skill such as airborne and still think they can claim being a conscientious objector. I'm sorry buddy, but your "conscience" didn't object those first two times. He swore an oath. You can't pick and choose what conflict you will or won't be a part of later.
--
March 26th, 2005  
A Can of Man

That's right charge_7.
As a soldier you have to know that you don't get to choose where you fight or why and often how.
March 27th, 2005  
behemoth79

agreed. he was not forced into the service. he volunteered and now changed his mind? i say he should be charged with treason and executed. we are at war and his actions might qualify for treason.
March 27th, 2005  
Charge 7

I wouldn't go that far. Since the American Civil War we've executed exactly one soldier for desertion in time of war and that was Private Eddie Slovak during The Battle of The Bulge when we could hardly afford to allow men off for such an act and an example had to be made. However, I think something more is in order than Staff Sergeant Camilo Mejia, for example, who served six months in Iraq, and was sentenced to a year in military prison for refusing to go back. I say 5 years minimum 10 years max. That's enough to discourage without going too lightly on them.
March 27th, 2005  
SigPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemoth79
agreed. he was not forced into the service. he volunteered and now changed his mind? i say he should be charged with treason and executed. we are at war and his actions might qualify for treason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
I say 5 years minimum 10 years max. That's enough to discourage without going too lightly on them.
I would agree with Charge_7 on this. If you start executing deserters to Canada, the Canadian gov't would be less likely to return them, since they don't generally like deporting people to face the death penalty. It took ages to deport that guy Ng to the USA...and he was a murderer.

He made his claim of beinga refugee, Canada considered it (due process), found it without merit, and is sending him home to Mom.

Now, if he had been a Romanian stripper...
March 27th, 2005  
WarMachine

What are the charges of desertion anyhow? If this guy is liable to get prison time, why risk it. I figure whatever is in an american prison is as bad as any warzone. At least you get medals wounded in combat, not some fat guy who wants to marry you.
March 27th, 2005  
Charge 7

The maximum penalty for desertion is death. Though as I said, that's only been enforced once in 140 years. I also cited what the most recent deserter got as a penalty. They don't go to a regular prison though. They go to Leavenworth. A military prison where they do hard labor. Even civilian maximum security prisons are a nicer place to stay.
March 29th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Canada did what was to be done. Nice job.