Canada refuses to join U.S Missile defence system

Canada refuses to join UU.S Missile defence system

Canada refuses further role in missile defence

Globe and Mail Update

Thursday, February 24, 2005

The formal announcement Thursday that Canada will refuse any further participation in the controversial U.S. missile-defence shield was met with an immediate warning that Canada had given up its sovereignty.

Although Prime Minister Paul Martin said Canada would “insist” on maintaining control of its airspace, U.S. ambassador Paul Cellucci warned that Washington would not be constrained.

“We will deploy. We will defend North America,” he said

From my understanding the day before they made that annoucement Canada annouced it would spend 13 billion dollars on it Military.

There was an article in one of the papers (probably the Nat'l Post) lately that basically stated that the $13B was essentially a farce:

• it's nowhere near enough to get the CF back on its feet;
    it's spread out over a number of years;
    no one really believes all the money will get to us by the last year; and
    the gov't is clawing back a chunk of it.

Signing on to a free missile defence program would be cheap at twice the price. So what if it doesn't work? Not like that's stopping us now (Sea Kings, Upholder subs, etc). At least it'll be state-of-the-art dross. And who knows, it might work.

And it's certainly worth the political dividends of cooperating closely with our biggest trading partner.

Besides, it would go a long way to assuring the US they don't have to worry about a repetition of that whole 1812 thing. :)

J

Remember, a lot of governments in the world now have no real plan or policy other than trying to prove that it is "not a puppet of the United States." :roll:

lol....i personally support Prime minister's decision so that no foreign units will station on our soil....and no nuke will be exploded above our sky

we peaceful canadians face no real threats to be nuked right now and in the near future,

so "no thanks" for U.S missile defence system

Because they want to liberate the Moose so it can run free.

Ok I admit it I cant think of a reason either.

:)

I'm not saying they would attack Canada. I _am_ saying you're in the line of fire. The shortest route for missile attack from Russia against the US is of course over the polar icecap. Missiles fall short sometimes.

Hehe well you know what they say great minds think alike or is it fools never differ.

I am guessing one applies.
:)

This program is probably something to put in place for the emergence of rival super powers.
If not, this is a complete waste of money.
Right now the fight is at the human level. In essence the conflicts have found the face of people again, after 50 years of fighting "faceless" enemies. The only way to counter them now is to meet them face to face.

And I'm sure if there is a nuclear exchange all the winds will be blowing the radiation south into mexico... it's not like Canada has any major cities right next to the U.S.-Canada boarder anyway...

A large majority of Canada population live within 60 miles from the border.
Montrèal, Quebec Cy, Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, Regina, Calgary, Vancouver... Oh and Winnipeg is not that far either.

Back