Can S.Korea handle N.Korea alone?

FlyingFrog

I think not.

If S.Korea can handle N.Korea alone, then they would be no Americans troops stationing in an S.Korea.

And reading many analysis from military experts, they all tend to claim N.Korea would conquer S.Korea if Americans are not there.

Why S.Korea so weak? Actually they have bigger population than North, I think 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1?

I think the South Koreans would win acctually, but they would take heavy casualties...Never hurts to have the US on your side. The North Korean army is in big trouble as far as equippment.

The south would win, NK has poor equipment, soldiers poorly taken care of. South has great equipment and healthy soldiers. The south would have a lot of civilian casualities though.

The odds are stacked heavily in the North's favor, but having better equipment these days makes a lot more difference than it used to. I wouldn't want to make any bets on the South personally.

The North Korean army is in big trouble as far as equippment

I doubt your claim.

Actually N.Korea is getting stronger each year, no reason their equips are getting worse, don't tell me their economy is growing negative. They may even have the ability to develop nukes and icbm, no reason they are bad in conventional weapons, let alone they get support from Chinese.

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
Oh? China would help North Korea? Well then, forget it. South is done for.

What I meant it N.Korea got support in their economy and military every day now. I don't mean China helps in the war with South Korea.

Let's talk N.Korea and S.Korea

Still doubt their capabilities. Most of their equipment is pretty old, and it's well known North Korea has a major food problem. They have the numbers, but that doesn't matter in a offensive battle much anymore, the North could only get so far.

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
Still doubt their capabilities. Most of their equipment is pretty old, and it's well known North Korea has a major food problem. They have the numbers, but that doesn't matter in a offensive battle much anymore, the North could only get so far.

Well, that's your belief, I cannot help.

But from majority of most Forums, N.Korea is superior than S.Korea in military sense.

And it is to understand that the allied of S.korea would say good words towards S.K despite reality.

Flyingfrog, as far as I know, the most advanced tank in N. Korean service is the T62. S. Koreans have the K1, which was developed by the same company as M1...They also have the T80ROK, so ROK wins this....(Fighting Forces by Richard Bennet, Jane's Tanks and Combat Vehicles Recognition Guide 2002 by Christopher F Foss)...ROKs most advanced fighter is the F16C/D(http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/rok/rokaf-equipment.htm). They also have the AH-1F/J Cobra. The North Koreans have Mig29,and the Mi-24 so that is a tie.
However, the North Koreans fly alot of crapy old migs and stuff from the 50's.....Not too many of the Mig 29s(http://www.scramble.nl/kp.htm)....So altogather Id say the ROK is in better shape. Also, the N. Koreans have a very weak ADA system

South Korea has twice the population of the North, thirty times its economic power, and spends three times more on its military each year. South Korean military equipment is first class whereas most of the North Korean military equipment is over 30 years old. If war broke out, South Korea has a massive industrial capacity while North Korea has no industry and no money. South Koreans would fight on mountainous and urban terrain which heavily favors defense, and complete air superiority would shoot up anything the North Koreans put on the road, they cannot advance through the mountainous DMZ. The South Koreans have fortified, mined, and physically blocked all avenues through these mountains, and it would take North Korean infantry and engineers weeks to clear road paths while under fire. The North Korean military could gain a few thousand meters with human wave assaults into minefields and concrete fortifications...... but other than that.

Even if North Korea employs nuclear weapons, using them would be suicidal since it would invite instant retaliation from the United States.

Though I wouldn't doubt North Korea's abilities in defending the North, I'm sure that would be suicide for the south AND US.

SHERMAN, no one doubts that the weapons of S.K are better.
But I'd like to remind you one thing:
When 2 enemies are so close to each other, in a mountainous area, many of those superior weapons are of no combat use.

Weapon is important, but not the only thing to decide the win/lose of War, otherwise Chinese would not have beaten Americans and its 21 UN allies in Korea War.

Weapon is important, but not the only thing to decide the win/lose of War, otherwise Chinese would not have beaten Americans and its 21 UN allies in Korea War

That is arguable. I acctually think that the Chinese and the North Koreans lost. Plus, the Chinese had immence superior noumbers in that case, which the North Koreans do not have....

Not really....But this is off-toppic....The Chinese were yet to be fully mechanized or fully equipped by the early 50's. The Americans had alot of fire power, and were fully meched...

Let's not get into Korea War again, we have done it many times here.

Let's back to topic.

If N.Korea so bad in military power, then why S.K and US so scared of N.K? And people only talking about N.Korea invading South? Isn't that funny? And why N.Korea is completely not worried about Sourth? Make sense?

I told you, invading the North would be a bad idea.

It goes both ways, how come NK so scrared of SK? It hasn't invaded yet!!! Make sense?

Well, the N. Koreans are well dug in...So they have nothing to worrie about....They have alot of AT launchers, so they can create a big problem for the S. Korean armour. As to the USA ans S. Koreans being worried, I really dont know why...It seems to me like they can easily take the N. Korean army apart...The S.Koreans still remember that war and are afraid of it....

Back