Can S.Korea handle N.Korea alone? - Page 8

--
Boots

October 1st, 2004  
drunkentyger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
13th Chon Nom. hehe
I'm not in yet. I'm almost done with studying here at the GWU and I'll be heading over in December... then get my physical and I hope hope hope hope I get into a combat unit.
I would have liked to have joined the Marines but I've had a few injuries and a lousy time here so I don't think I'm good enough anymore. When I was 18 I would have made it I think. Ahh well that's what I get for listening to my dad.
I never liked boats anyway... maybe I'll join the Airborne instead.

So are you a Korean citizen or a US citizen?
Im a A.K... AMerican born Korean... hehe... only been to Korea once, but parents forced me to learn Korean... so i know it pretty well.... im in the Marines right now... signed the contract, toook the physical, etc... Going to San DIego for BT this Janurary or Feb. so where u deciding to go? GWU? Wheres that at?
October 1st, 2004  
Damien435

I have two Korean Cousins, they are both learning Korean now and the older one is like a 27th degree black belt, she was just messing around once with one of her friends and she snapped her wrist like a twig, I don't fight with her anymore.
October 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Hey, maybe one of you two can tell us more about the South Korean military. I'm all for learning more!
--
Boots
October 1st, 2004  
SHERMAN

Yes, that would be very intresting and relevant. May I suggest the following main points:

Size and structure

Doctorine

Hardware

Also could you tellme about ROK resreves(weapons, training, age, etc....)?
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

GWU is in Washington DC.
Not sure what I'll do in the military. I can choose what branch, though Marines is hard as hell to get into apparently, more so than the US one because the mission is totally different. They're really a special operations force.
So probably Army.
Don't want to be a paper pusher or the General's personal b****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkentyger

Im a A.K... AMerican born Korean... hehe... only been to Korea once, but parents forced me to learn Korean... so i know it pretty well.... im in the Marines right now... signed the contract, toook the physical, etc... Going to San DIego for BT this Janurary or Feb. so where u deciding to go? GWU? Wheres that at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
I have two Korean Cousins, they are both learning Korean now and the older one is like a 27th degree black belt, she was just messing around once with one of her friends and she snapped her wrist like a twig, I don't fight with her anymore.
That's not very nice of her. 27th degree. Nuts. How old is she? I've been at 3 different martial arts... actualy 4 but I've forgotten Capoeira. But anyways... it makes me very reluctant to do anything overly physical because I'm afraid I'll accidently waste them. This is usually the case because I'm small and they think it's going to be piss easy, then are frustrated that they're not beating me, it escallates and then...
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

Here's a little lowdown on the South Korean military.
Sources include CIA Factbook, http://mcel.pacificu.edu/as/students...ary-south.html http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ks/Military http://www.scramble.nl/kr.htm for authority.

Army:
50 Divisions spread across 3 Army groups. Standing Army is 560,000 soldiers which makes South Korea's Army the 3rd largest Army in the world.
2,200 Tanks, 4,850 Arty pieces, 2,200 other Armored vehicles.

1st ROKA and 3rd ROKA defend the area between the DMZ and roughly down to the Seoul area. First is on the West, 3rd is on the East. 2nd takes care of the rest of the country and the reserves fall under the command of the 2nd since it is inland where reserves will assamble.
Capital Defense Command is in charge of securing the President's House and the major airports.
Special Operations Command is independent.

South Korea's Air Force boasts 500 combat aircraft that include F-16s (9 Sqns), F-4s (6 Sqns), F-5s (14 Sqns) and one squadron of F-15Ks is set to be created next year.
Where quality is needed, the F-16s and F-15s will step in, while where numbers are needed, such as close air support, the F-5s can step in. Also the South Korean air force has a few A-38 Dragonfly squadrons for air strike roles.
In Air to air, the F-5 can still match the MiG-21s and MiG-23s so it's still useful.

Regarding reserves. Anyone between 18 and 40 can be called up for reserve duty. This happens once a year... for what duration I cannot remember. Obviously all of them have military experience for 2 years. The RoK Army has 1.1 Million reserves alone so during the event of war, South Korea's Army can balloon to 1.6 Million men. There are about 60,000 Marine reserves.
October 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

So South Korea has a larger army than North Korea? I had no idea. Still, the number would still be less than Russia and India I believe, so I'm not sure of the "3rd Largest" part. If memory serves, Russia and India both have standing army of 1 million plus.

Why so few aircraft I wonder in South Korean Armed Forces? Looks solid on tanks and SK has a very solid tank design too. Are they planning to buy JSF's?

Thanks for the info!
October 1st, 2004  
FlyingFrog

If the info supplied by 13redneck is generally correct, then the S.K army is not that superior to N.K's at all, then it makes me more sure that N.K will conquer SK without too much difficulty.

SK 3th largest?
Counting numbers:

1. China 2,810,000 ---- Frog says: only 2 million
2. Russia 1,520,000
3. United States 1,366,000
4. India 1,303,000
5. Korea, South 683,000
6. Pakistan 612,000
7. Turkey 610,000
8. Iran 513,000
9. Vietnam 484,000
10. Egypt 448,000

N.Korea not in the list, don't know why, but NK has over 1 million troops.
October 1st, 2004  
SHERMAN

Yep. N. Korea has 900000-1 million troops...Still though, I dont get you Flyingfrog...The numerical advantage will be lost once the ROK reserves are mobilized...The hardware advantage is with the South, and aside from 100000 SOF troops, the north koreans lack training....Why would they win?
October 2nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

3rd largest ARMY, excluding Navy, Marines, Air Force etc. I said Army didn't I?
And yes, North Korea has over a million standing troops, but of course that means smaller reserves. Also it's not like they're well trained except for the Special Operations force.
In terms of Army size, North Korea boasts the 2nd according to that website source www.nationmaster.com.
So what part of my information doesn't convince you that South Korea's military isn't better? Are you just looking at the numbers? Because if so, that shows you how LITTLE you know about the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
If the info supplied by 13redneck is generally correct, then the S.K army is not that superior to N.K's at all, then it makes me more sure that N.K will conquer SK without too much difficulty.

SK 3th largest?
Counting numbers:

1. China 2,810,000 ---- Frog says: only 2 million
2. Russia 1,520,000
3. United States 1,366,000
4. India 1,303,000
5. Korea, South 683,000
6. Pakistan 612,000
7. Turkey 610,000
8. Iran 513,000
9. Vietnam 484,000
10. Egypt 448,000

N.Korea not in the list, don't know why, but NK has over 1 million troops.
Hmmm... well now that I think of it I'm not sure why that website www.nationmaster.com said South Korea had the 3rd largest. It might be 3rd Largest in Asia. If so then my mistake and apologies! I was totally taken by surprise when that came up anyway.
I would have thought the top 3 in terms of quantity would be Russia, India and China.
I think the low number of combat aircraft in South Korea is really a matter of funding. South Korea NEEDS a strong ground Army. It's not like the US or the UK where the Army can be of a decent number but the main job of blowing things up lands to the SF and Air Forces (including Naval and Marine air arms). There's only so much money to go around and priority is Army.
No plans on the JSFs... right now Korea needs a mix of quality and quantity that they can afford. The F-15K allows for that... and to keep the Americans happy. Plus it's never been offered. Plus the old enemy again: too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
So South Korea has a larger army than North Korea? I had no idea. Still, the number would still be less than Russia and India I believe, so I'm not sure of the "3rd Largest" part. If memory serves, Russia and India both have standing army of 1 million plus.

Why so few aircraft I wonder in South Korean Armed Forces? Looks solid on tanks and SK has a very solid tank design too. Are they planning to buy JSF's?

Thanks for the info!