can Red Arrow 9A penatrade M1 tank?

--
Boots

January 21st, 2005  
Sexybeast

Topic: can Red Arrow 9A penatrade M1 tank?

chinese got a new anti-tank device called HJ-9A or red arrow 9A...
seems to be a pretty neat weapon..

http://www.sinodefence.com/army/antitank/hj9.asp
January 21st, 2005  
Chinaman

sure can, its even more effective as heat seeking because m1s have only proven in battle aginist tanks and iraqi systems that does not have heat-seeking

gasturbine engines are not good when heat-seeking missiles and weapons are used
January 21st, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinaman
sure can, its even more effective as heat seeking because m1s have only proven in battle aginist tanks and iraqi systems that does not have heat-seeking

gasturbine engines are not good when heat-seeking missiles and weapons are used
sources? have there been tests with the red arrow and "chobham" armour? or even DU armour?

any M1 tankers care to comment?
--
Boots
January 21st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Sort of looks like the MILAN, no it can't peirce the armor on the M1A1 or M1A2, but maybe an IPM1. The M1's hull and turret armor are made of anti-tank misslie resistant composite aromr. Designed for survivability includes internal armor bulkheads with sliding armor doors isolating the crew from the main armarment stowage. Blow-off panels and designed to channel blast outwards, while an auto Halon fire-exstingishing system is designed to takle internal fire insatantneously. The armor is made of special steel with an inner layer of DU so that the outer layer maybe peirced but the DU layer stops the round becasue it is super hard.

I'm qouting Globalsecurity.org:

"The original M1 revolutionized the Army’s combat capabilities and marked a turning point in U.S. tank development. Its most impressive feature was its special armor, a composite “sandwich” of steel and other materials capable of defeating HEAT rounds in addition to kinetic energy penetrators. The M1 was faster and more maneuverable than its predecessors in the M60 series, while offering a lower, smaller silhouette. It was constructed of flat armor sections welded together, rather than armor castings, the method used in earlier U.S tanks."

http://globalsecurity.org/military/s.../ground/m1.htm
January 21st, 2005  
Snauhi

Who knows...

But i dont think it can.
January 21st, 2005  
Marksman

well i think that simples RPG can do a decent demage to M1,which was probably a case in Iraq,and i most certanly think that this can penetrate
January 21st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Depends on where it's hit and how I guess.
January 21st, 2005  
EuroSpike

Topic: Re: can Red Arrow 9A penatrade M1 tank?

Penetrates or not, gives a hard punch anyway wich causes blood come out of crew's ears. Tank may take it but crew won't, like with all AT-weapons. Penetration ability and armor's thickness don't tell everything about tank's ability to take hits and AT-weapons capability.
January 21st, 2005  
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike
Penetrates or not, gives a hard punch anyway wich causes blood come out of crew's ears. Tank may take it but crew won't, like with all AT-weapons. Penetration ability and armor's thickness don't tell everything about tank's ability to take hits and AT-weapons capability.
correct,crew is fighting the war,not the machine.......unless
January 21st, 2005  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike

Yeah good post. But maybe the tank crew is deaf already :P