January 28th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
the point of the piercing bullet from teh 125mm is to pentrate, if somehow the speed of the projectile is faster, than the pentration is greater

add a rocket motor to the shell and ur all set
There are so many design challenges with that I don't know where to start.

An ATGM penetrates armor with a shaped charge warhead, not a KE penetrator.
There is a new one by the US that does, forgott where I have seen it.
It's pretty much still in the experimental stage. If it does get fielded it won't be soon.
January 28th, 2005  
FO Seaman

We, Kozzy give me a link to prove that there has been 125mm penatration.

And this is about the Arrow not the 125mm.
January 29th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
We, Kozzy give me a link to prove that there has been 125mm penatration.

And this is about the Arrow not the 125mm.
http://strategypage.com/messageboard...ges/2-9932.asp

The poster is was a Master Gunner in the 24th ID during ODS. If anything, this penetration shows just how survivable the M1xx is. I also remember seeing a History Channel program on the M1. It described an incident where a stopped and exposed M1A1 was hit in the flank by a 125mm HEAT shell. The crew compartment was penetrated but only the commander (who was out of the hatch) and loader were slightly injured.

125mm APFSDS darts and HEAT shells can penetrate ANY tank from the side.
--
Boots
January 29th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Yes A APFSDS can hit the skirt on the M1A1 and diable the turbine or enter the ammo storage, but no enter the turret basket.
January 29th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Yes A APFSDS can hit the skirt on the M1A1 and diable the turbine or enter the ammo storage, but no enter the turret basket.
Most 125mm sabots get something like 500mm of penetration. The frontal armor of the M1A1 IS 600mm KE and the M1A1HA is 800mm KE. Are you telling me that the M1A1's flank armor is more then half it's frontal armor?
January 30th, 2005  
Sexybeast

i doubt ppl gonna use Red arrow to hit the front of M1..
but since red arrow is using laser guiding....ppl gonna hit the rear or side of tanks.
January 30th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Hey Mozzy the links not working.
January 30th, 2005  
AlexKall

They work for me!
January 30th, 2005  
Charge 7

Whether it penetrates the ammo storage as that link you posted is a moot point at best. The relevant part is this:

"The round penetrated and the ammo cooked off, venting through the blow-off panels. The crew still had a round in the gun and was able to kill the tank that hit them before evacuating the tank."

Doesn't mean an awful lot if you get killed by the tank you disabled.
January 30th, 2005  
SHERMAN

That dosent have anything to do with the tank being penetrated. either way, the Red Arrow is not a 125mm round...