can Red Arrow 9A penatrade M1 tank? - Page 8

--
Boots

January 27th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
there is no dooubt that the 125mm can penetrate the M1, even in the M1A2 standart...The crew(or some of it) will probably survive, and the tank can be repaired, but it will penetrate, from the sides and from the back for sure, and maybe even the front at close range. The problem in Desert Storm for the Iraqis was that they could not hit, because the americans started firing at much longer distance(another lesson written in the blood of Israeli tank crews)... At well over 2000 meters the Americans hit with alomost every shot, not so for the Iraqi crews...The Iraqis also lacked proper thermal sights, which would allow them to seethrough the dust clowds. The americans had much better thermal equippment. ayways, the question is the Red Arrow, not the 125mm...
Depends what ammo you're using, most older ammo like what what the Iraqis were using will just bounce off. The newest Russian ammo only works under 1km. The latest DU 125mm ammo from the Chinese gets 800mm+(maybe) at 2km, which is really good. This can penetrate the frontal armor of the M1.

And god damnit there were 18 M1's hit with battle damage in the Gulf war. 9 were permanent, 9 were repairable.

And Cadet, do you actually believe those numbers? Where did you get them? 125mm is so generic, what ammo? what range? what gun? And no, I'm talking about the M1A1, all M1s are out of service except some with the NG.
January 27th, 2005  
SHERMAN

I was unsure about the range, although i did suspect that it would have to be at somwhere less than 1km...either way, I do believe that at any given range the Red Arrow, just like most new ATGMs can penetrate the M1s side and back armor. Surely the top...
January 27th, 2005  
EOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
The turret armor and hull front is Chobam, the skirts are steel and the turret basket is Chobam and there is an inernal gun mantle on the 120mm.

There is only one penttation recorded on the Abrams and it was hit in the turret neck, the round was Russian used by an Iraqi insurgant.

Check that out:

http://strategypage.com/gallery/arti...le_mystery.asp

http://strategypage.com/gallery/arti...ns_learned.asp
--
Boots
January 27th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD
Quote:
The turret armor and hull front is Chobam, the skirts are steel and the turret basket is Chobam and there is an inernal gun mantle on the 120mm.

There is only one penttation recorded on the Abrams and it was hit in the turret neck, the round was Russian used by an Iraqi insurgant.

Check that out:

http://strategypage.com/gallery/arti...le_mystery.asp

http://strategypage.com/gallery/arti...ns_learned.asp
If I count up all that I've heard about. There's something like 10 recorded penetrations of the Abrams crew compartment, most along the back and skirts, 1 on the side turret.
January 28th, 2005  
FO Seaman

All right let me set the record straight.

Yes the Arrow could peirce the XM1/IPM1/M1 made in 1979. Record of 125mm APFSDS penatation.

No it can not peirce the M1A1's armor. One record of penatration.

No it can not pierce the M1A2's/A2 SEP armor. No record.

The NG has no M1's, all the army has M1A1's going into A2's, I'd know cuz my dad worked at the NGB in DC for three years with the TRADOC section.

The 125mm uses APFSDS round made before 1991.

We uses APFSDS-T rounds made in 1999.
January 28th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
All right let me set the record straight.

Yes the Arrow could peirce the XM1/IPM1/M1 made in 1979. Record of 125mm APFSDS penatation.

No it can not peirce the M1A1's armor. One record of penatration.

No it can not pierce the M1A2's/A2 SEP armor. No record.

The NG has no M1's, all the army has M1A1's going into A2's, I'd know cuz my dad worked at the NGB in DC for three years with the TRADOC section.

The 125mm uses APFSDS round made before 1991.

We uses APFSDS-T rounds made in 1999.
EOD and me have listed other instances of penetration on M1A1s. The 125mm brand spankin new round from the Chinese with 800mm"+ of penetration.
January 28th, 2005  
MadeInChina

the point of the piercing bullet from teh 125mm is to pentrate, if somehow the speed of the projectile is faster, than the pentration is greater

add a rocket motor to the shell and ur all set
January 28th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Well, the Red Arrow is not desighend to penetrate with speed...As I understood(correct me if im wrong) it has a tandem shaped charge warhead, right? It dosent matter how fast it hits, all that matters is that the warhead explodes.
January 28th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
the point of the piercing bullet from teh 125mm is to pentrate, if somehow the speed of the projectile is faster, than the pentration is greater

There are so many design challenges with that I don't know where to start.

An ATGM penetrates armor with a shaped charge warhead, not a KE penetrator.
January 28th, 2005  
EOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA

There are so many design challenges with that I don't know where to start.

An ATGM penetrates armor with a shaped charge warhead, not a KE penetrator.
There is a new one by the US that does, forgott where I have seen it.