--
Boots

January 26th, 2005  
chewie_nz

that'd be my top four allright

love the fact that the merkava 4 looks like it's from another planet
January 26th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Ive heard that IDF tankers refer to it as "The Star-Ship"...
January 26th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Actually if they tryed to hit the hull or turret is stupid because the armor would deflect it the composite aromr is made to withstand HEAT rounds, the outer steel is like an RPG net and when the round gets to the Chobam it stops and if he hit the Ammo Storage the units would blow their tops and the Halon would put it out.
Correct, the side turret armor is Chobham armor. However it is not thick enough to stop an ATGM with this much penetration. Chobham is simply more effective against CE threats, it does not make it "immune" to it. The same thing is said about Kontakt-5, that it makes Russian tanks "immune" to APFSDS rounds, no it simply adds more protection. The side hull isn't Chobham armor either (I don't believe) but something RHA.
The top four tanks are
1: M1A2SEP
2: Merkava Mk 4
3: Leopared 2
4: Challenger 2
--
Boots
January 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

The turret armor and hull front is Chobam, the skirts are steel and the turret basket is Chobam and there is an inernal gun mantle on the 120mm.

There is only one penttation recorded on the Abrams and it was hit in the turret neck, the round was Russian used by an Iraqi insurgant.
January 26th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
The turret armor and hull front is Chobam, the skirts are steel and the turret basket is Chobam and there is an inernal gun mantle on the 120mm.

There is only one penttation recorded on the Abrams and it was hit in the turret neck, the round was Russian used by an Iraqi insurgant.
No. There were some 115mm and 125mm hits on the flanks of Abrams in the Gulf war which penetrated(with minimal injury and damage). I also believe there were something like 3 RPG penetrations on the rear of the Abrams in OIF so far.
January 27th, 2005  
Chinaman

add the t-80u, its pretty advanced and housed the most powerful gun-misssile launcher
January 27th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:

No. There were some 115mm and 125mm hits on the flanks of Abrams in the Gulf war which penetrated(with minimal injury and damage). I also believe there were something like 3 RPG penetrations on the rear of the Abrams in OIF so far.
Your talking about the M1, I'm talking about the M1A1 and A2. Some damage to the rear may happen but nothing serious. The M1A1 can take six 125mm rounds in the front hull and turret. And can take twenty 115mm rounds before considerable damage is apparent.
January 27th, 2005  
Whispering Death

I don't know about Iraqi Freedom but in Desert Storm the only tanks that where destroyed in action where destroyed by fratricide. Nothing the Iraqis could do could destroy an M1.
January 27th, 2005  
SHERMAN

there is no dooubt that the 125mm can penetrate the M1, even in the M1A2 standart...The crew(or some of it) will probably survive, and the tank can be repaired, but it will penetrate, from the sides and from the back for sure, and maybe even the front at close range. The problem in Desert Storm for the Iraqis was that they could not hit, because the americans started firing at much longer distance(another lesson written in the blood of Israeli tank crews)... At well over 2000 meters the Americans hit with alomost every shot, not so for the Iraqi crews...The Iraqis also lacked proper thermal sights, which would allow them to seethrough the dust clowds. The americans had much better thermal equippment. ayways, the question is the Red Arrow, not the 125mm...
January 27th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I guess the point was that the Red Arrow had to match or surpass the 125mm.