can Red Arrow 9A penatrade M1 tank? - Page 6

--
Boots

January 25th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
The M-1A2 I believe can run silently on batteries for a short while. If all else fails, for the turret anyways, there's the manual hand crank.
So although you've made the world a much more difficult place for the crew, they're not completely out of the picture.
That is totally correct except the M1A1 was upgarded with its generator pack in 2000. They both can run silently.

Seen below is the M1A1 with the generator. It is circled in red.

Not only that the M1A1/A2 have been equipted with the RPG shield for the turbine, its a lagre gate that afixes to the back.
January 25th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
The M-1A2 I believe can run silently on batteries for a short while. If all else fails, for the turret anyways, there's the manual hand crank.
So although you've made the world a much more difficult place for the crew, they're not completely out of the picture.
First of all, where does it say the HJ-9 is heat seeking? It says there are two models, millimeter wave guided and laser beam riding. No mention of heat seeking at all,

The APU on the M1A2 allows for the electronics of the tank to be operated, not for it to move. Even then, the thermal signature of a tank is much different then it's backround, and thus apparent. Any tank can be shut down for 3 hours and still appear on a thermal sight.

For a heat seeking anti-tank missile to be effective it needs to home in on the exact thermal signature of the tank. If it was designed to home in on just a hotspot it would probably pick up a fire, burning tank, or another tank you don't wat to it.
January 25th, 2005  
bushpig1998

As I stated in my post, "If I remember correctly". I couldn't remember the exact contents of the original post and oculdn't page back to it without losing my train of thought. It makes sense that it wouldn't be heat seeking. If it is beam riding, it can still be pointed to the turbines, if the operator of the beam knows where to aim it.
--
Boots
January 26th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpig1998
As I stated in my post, "If I remember correctly". I couldn't remember the exact contents of the original post and oculdn't page back to it without losing my train of thought. It makes sense that it wouldn't be heat seeking. If it is beam riding, it can still be pointed to the turbines, if the operator of the beam knows where to aim it.
If you had a clear shot at the turbine that would mean you'd have a clear shot at the hull and turret flank. Aim there to penetrate the fighting compartment and kill or injure the crew.
January 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Actually if they tryed to hit the hull or turret is stupid because the armor would deflect it the composite aromr is made to withstand HEAT rounds, the outer steel is like an RPG net and when the round gets to the Chobam it stops and if he hit the Ammo Storage the units would blow their tops and the Halon would put it out.
January 26th, 2005  
A Can of Man

And it's not just "designed to" do it. It's proven that it does do it.
January 26th, 2005  
Whispering Death

This is all very interesting but I'd like to just toss out a brief opinion to the guy who said the M1 was by far the premier MBT.

Although I will always be partial to my American M1, I would put the Challenger 2 tank on the same level with it. The Challenger 2 has the longest range tank to tank kill in history, smashing a SABOT round into the amunition hold of a T-72 at two F*ing miles away. That and many other tales from the battlefield give the Challenger 2 a very formidible track record.

I'll leave you all back to your fabulous discussion.
January 26th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I think there's a certain family of top class MBTs that are close enough to make "oohh who is better of the three" a totally irrelevent discussion.
January 26th, 2005  
chewie_nz

whats the third one?

challenger, abrams & ????
January 26th, 2005  
A Can of Man

The Leopard II. But many people throw in the Merkava as well.. so it could be 4.