can Red Arrow 9A penatrade M1 tank? - Page 5

--
Boots

January 24th, 2005  
FO Seaman

You guys are using the wrong words. The round can't destroy but may diable the turbine and treads, the Bradley doesn't have a chance against the Arrow.

Someone said that some round can burn through composite armor. At what thickness, And please give me a link.
January 25th, 2005  
Chinaman

its a rumor, maybe in a year or 2 ull read it

anyways, most of the university students ought to know about organical chemistry

etheyne, also known as acetalyne, is a very deadly gas that is very penetraable aginist metal

thast probably a gas going to be used in that round

something logical though, it can only destory heavy armor if the round was 155mm or higher, 125 doesnt seem enough
January 25th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

The armor penetration for that missile 1200mm of RHA @ 0 deg and 320mm @ 0 deg. So probably not.
--
Boots
January 25th, 2005  
Sexybeast

i think depends on where u hit....

if in the front..i doubt it can..

but hits at rear..or other weak places...it may dimoblize a tank
January 25th, 2005  
A Can of Man

You can also damage the M-1 with an RPG-7 if you hit it in the right place.
I think the dicussion has more to do with, can that new weapon penetrate the armor of the M-1 and do damage to the inside?

Now it doesn't really have to penetrate fully. Do you know that the squash head rounds actually do the work by transfering energy through the armor and have it break off shrapnel from the inside of the tank? Now I think the M-1s got space between the outer armor and the inside armor that is designed to disperse the energy from even this sort of ammunition.
January 25th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinaman
the only tanks abram ever came up aginist was the t-72 and crappy soviet anks, the t-72 havent got time to fire its deadly cannon before it was gunned by the m1, the only weapons that actually disabled a few were antitank misiles and RPG

the challenger II has the same type of armor, but it is thicker and its alot ehavier and more capable

the t80u and t90 was used in chechnya

dont u think its absurd to say that soviet tanks are worse than us ones, when ur comparing 70s tanks aginist 90s tanks

Removed by Admin! Watch you language!

the HQ-9 red arrow was designed to own the m1, maybe the us should offer china a m1 and see if we can penetrate the armor

also, any tank commander or antitank weapons commander knows that by firing twice into the tank at the same time produces deadly results

its probably going to be 2 ormore red arrows hitting the m1 at the same time, thats deadly
Wrong. There were numerous instances of T-72s achieving frontal hits with their 125mm gun, none penetrated on the front.

The Challenger II's armor is thicker in the sides and rear, not the front.

T-90 was not deployed in Chechnya. The T-80 did not perform very well, with many being lost to RPGs.

The T-90 and T-80UM1 entered service not long ago, why can we not compare them?

Sure, the HQ-9 was designed to penetrate the M1, but it can't. And no, no M1s will be offered to China, ever.

Well that's pretty friggin obvious, hitting with two is better then hitting with one. Too bad when M1 crews see that missile launch they're going to bring holy hell down upon the launcher.

Basically, you don't make any sense Chinaman. Get your facts straight.
January 25th, 2005  
A Can of Man

M-1s... well I read this in "Armored Cav" by Tom Clancy, a non fiction book about the 2nd ACR.
M-1s took several hits from T-72s during Desert Storm, only to have the rounds bounce right off their armor.
There was also this one instance an M-1 was stuck in the mud (after all the weather was terrible). Unable to bring it along, they decided the best thing to do was have the crew out and have the other M-1s blow it to bits. After SEVERAL shots of the 155mm DU, the thing fell apart and the crane was able to lift the wreckage out. The broken tank was brought back to the US, where it was repaired and rolling again.
I know Tom Clancy is hardly a neutral source, but I don't think he'd put in a blatant lie in his non fiction book as that would seriously hurt his credibility. After all he had just entered the non fiction book business and needed to establish himself.
So the M-1's armor is really no joke. That thing is going to bring you home alive. The Red Arrow really needs to be something seriously special in order to penetrate the frontal of that thing. Basically that thing has to be superior to a T-72... or even the Type 98 which I believe sports the same or similar gun to the T-72.
January 25th, 2005  
bushpig1998

Hmmm, I agree with your statements on Clancy. The M1 is the peremier MBT, no arguing that point. It will tear apart most other tanks and can take one hell of a load of punishment. The armor on this tank is close to perfect. The key to knocking any tank out is not so much destruction of the tank itself - but more a case of disabling it. For that you only need to knock off tracks or hit the engines....being that the red arrow is heat seeking(if I remember correctly), it should go for the turbines, right? If it can knock the turbines, out, mission accomplished, since the turbines generate power for the turret and electronics to functions....unless the M1 has an APU.
January 25th, 2005  
A Can of Man

The M-1A2 I believe can run silently on batteries for a short while. If all else fails, for the turret anyways, there's the manual hand crank.
So although you've made the world a much more difficult place for the crew, they're not completely out of the picture.
January 25th, 2005  
bushpig1998

ahhhh the wonder of redundancy...