Boots

February 2nd, 2005  
MadeInChina

sinodefence is not biased, its actually a british site
February 2nd, 2005  
AsianAmerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I guess I missed the part in the writeup of the Red Arrow that gave proven test specifications. All I read was "it is said to...yada, yada, yada." I would like to read about the Arrow in a non-biased military article. Does Jane's have anything on it?
Here you go brother.... From Jane's Defence Weekly

http://www.janes.com/defence/land_fo...426_01_n.shtml
(For those who can't view it.. Here is the entire Article)
"China reveals Red Arrow 9 ATGM
Details of the new Red Arrow 9 anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) have been revealed by manufacturer China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO). The weapon made its first public appearance during a major parade held in Beijing late last year.

The first application for the Red Arrow 9 is on a 4 x 4 variant of NORINCO's WZ 551 6 x 6 armoured personnel carrier. This chassis is also used as the basis for the older Red Arrow 8 ATGM system that has been in service with the Peoples Liberation Army (PLA) for some years.

The new Red Arrow 9 is of a different design and apart from its warhead is very similar to the US Raytheon Systems Company 3,750m range Tube-launched Optically-tracked Wire-guided ATGM. The major difference is that the Red Arrow 9 is laser guided. The laser has a range of more than 5.5 km and operates in the 0.9 m waveband.

The 4 x 4 Red Arrow 9 system has a combat weight of 13.75 tonnes with the commander and driver in the front, power pack in the middle on the left side and the missile system at the rear. On the roof is a raised plinth that houses the retractable missile launcher. This has four missiles in the ready-to-launch position, two either side, with the electro-optical package in the centre. The launcher can be traversed 200 left and right with elevation and depression being 10. Another eight missiles are carried in the hull which can be loaded on to the retracted launcher automatically or manually.

The method of guidance is command-to-line of sight. There are at least two versions of Red Arrow 9, the Red Arrow 9A millimetre wave command guidance version and the Red Arrow 9B laser beam riding version. In addition to the standard two field of view day sighting system, a thermal sight is also fitted to enable targets to be engaged under conditions of smoke and fog. This operates in the 8 to 12 m range and can detect a target at a range of 4,000m and recognise a target at a range of 2,500m.

The 152mm missile and its launch tube weigh 37kg. It has four fins at the rear that unfold after launch with the four control surfaces almost two thirds down the missile. Maximum rate of fire is quoted as two missiles per minute when engaging targets at maximum range.

The missile has a minimum range of 100m and a maximum range of 5,000m.

The main high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead will penetrate 320mm of rolled homogenous armour at an angle of 68 protected by explosive reactive armour (ERA). The nose mounted HEAT percursor charge activates the ERA allowing the main charge to penetrate the armour.

The Red Arrow 9 can be installed on a number of other platforms including full tracked armoured vehicles, trucks, helicopters and coastal craft. NORINCO is also marketing a training and support package with the missile. "
February 2nd, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAmerican
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I guess I missed the part in the writeup of the Red Arrow that gave proven test specifications. All I read was "it is said to...yada, yada, yada." I would like to read about the Arrow in a non-biased military article. Does Jane's have anything on it?
Here you go brother.... From Jane's Defence Weekly

http://www.janes.com/defence/land_fo...426_01_n.shtml
(For those who can't view it.. Here is the entire Article)
"China reveals Red Arrow 9 ATGM
Details of the new Red Arrow 9 anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) have been revealed by manufacturer China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO). The weapon made its first public appearance during a major parade held in Beijing late last year.

The first application for the Red Arrow 9 is on a 4 x 4 variant of NORINCO's WZ 551 6 x 6 armoured personnel carrier. This chassis is also used as the basis for the older Red Arrow 8 ATGM system that has been in service with the Peoples Liberation Army (PLA) for some years.

The new Red Arrow 9 is of a different design and apart from its warhead is very similar to the US Raytheon Systems Company 3,750m range Tube-launched Optically-tracked Wire-guided ATGM. The major difference is that the Red Arrow 9 is laser guided. The laser has a range of more than 5.5 km and operates in the 0.9 m waveband.

The 4 x 4 Red Arrow 9 system has a combat weight of 13.75 tonnes with the commander and driver in the front, power pack in the middle on the left side and the missile system at the rear. On the roof is a raised plinth that houses the retractable missile launcher. This has four missiles in the ready-to-launch position, two either side, with the electro-optical package in the centre. The launcher can be traversed 200 left and right with elevation and depression being 10. Another eight missiles are carried in the hull which can be loaded on to the retracted launcher automatically or manually.

The method of guidance is command-to-line of sight. There are at least two versions of Red Arrow 9, the Red Arrow 9A millimetre wave command guidance version and the Red Arrow 9B laser beam riding version. In addition to the standard two field of view day sighting system, a thermal sight is also fitted to enable targets to be engaged under conditions of smoke and fog. This operates in the 8 to 12 m range and can detect a target at a range of 4,000m and recognise a target at a range of 2,500m.

The 152mm missile and its launch tube weigh 37kg. It has four fins at the rear that unfold after launch with the four control surfaces almost two thirds down the missile. Maximum rate of fire is quoted as two missiles per minute when engaging targets at maximum range.

The missile has a minimum range of 100m and a maximum range of 5,000m.

The main high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead will penetrate 320mm of rolled homogenous armour at an angle of 68 protected by explosive reactive armour (ERA). The nose mounted HEAT percursor charge activates the ERA allowing the main charge to penetrate the armour.

The Red Arrow 9 can be installed on a number of other platforms including full tracked armoured vehicles, trucks, helicopters and coastal craft. NORINCO is also marketing a training and support package with the missile. "
I am impressed. I think this could have some value from a helicopter because that is the only way to get close enough to an M1A1 to get a good angle of entry in the armor. An M1A1 is deadly at about 1.5 miles and is in constant communications with targeting command. It would also be much more effective if it was supersonic like the LOSAT. It shows promise in future variations. If the penetrating ability can equal or exceed 800mm, it will kick some butt.
--
Boots
February 2nd, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

LOSAT doesn't use a shaped charge to penetrate armor. It uses sheer kinetic energy.
February 2nd, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
LOSAT doesn't use a shaped charge to penetrate armor. It uses sheer kinetic energy.
I don't want this to come off the wrong way but I am well aware of the LOSAT since I have been on the program for six years. I also have a piece of one of the first depleted uranium projectiles on my desk as a paperweight. The technicians dug it out of a rock in rocket alley in Yuma and sawed it up for analysis.
February 3rd, 2005  
Sexybeast

is that Janes' article reliable???
February 3rd, 2005  
SHERMAN

Quote:
is that Janes' article reliable???
Jane's is as relaible as the civilian market can have...
February 4th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Whether it penetrates the ammo storage as that link you posted is a moot point at best. The relevant part is this:

"The round penetrated and the ammo cooked off, venting through the blow-off panels. The crew still had a round in the gun and was able to kill the tank that hit them before evacuating the tank."

Doesn't mean an awful lot if you get killed by the tank you disabled.

What? The M1A1's blowoff panels would blowoff and the Halon would exstingish the fire. Also the breach would be closed, why would it be open?

(Man I can't spell for beans.)
February 4th, 2005  
Charge 7

I was quoting from this article originally posted by Kozzy Mozzy on page 6 of this topic:

http://strategypage.com/messageboard...ges/2-9932.asp

And I was refering to the fact that even though disabled, the Abrams still managed to kill that tank that had damaged it.
February 5th, 2005  
Sexybeast

it is not WW2 anymore that after being disabled, tank is useless anymore

it is 21st century, tanks are still capable of killing others when disabled by something....