can Red Arrow 9A penatrade M1 tank? - Page 10

--
Boots

January 30th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast
i doubt ppl gonna use Red arrow to hit the front of M1..
but since red arrow is using laser guiding....ppl gonna hit the rear or side of tanks.
Really? Laser guidance magically allows you to get a flank shot on the side of the tank? You're magically going to be in a position to hit the side of the tank, without getting blown away by tanks, artillery, or infantry?

You want to get a flank shot on a tank with ANY weapon, not just ATGMs. It's your job to keep your frontal aspect toward the enemy. If a platoon of M1A1s were marching and you shot at them with this. You would probably see the missile launch through thermal, day, or with your own eyes. You have time to respond, most missiles take over 10 seconds to reach their target, a crew can get off a round in this time, a good crew 2. You would report the position of the missile crew and the platoon would bring MPATs, 7.62mm and .50 down on it. If the missile crew dies, the missile loses guidance. This isn't a problem with fire and forget missiles like the Javelin.
January 30th, 2005  
Sexybeast

well..in an urban war....

i bet if iraqis have red arrows....there will be more dead m1s....
January 30th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:

No, in urban combat you still have to position yourself against the flank of the enemy. This type of missile isn't desirable for urban combat. It needs space to work, it has a minimum range, it needs to be set up, you need to track the target after firing. All these things combined leave you open to counter fires. You want an RPG-29 or MLAWs in a city fight.
--
Boots
January 31st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:

No, in urban combat you still have to position yourself against the flank of the enemy. This type of missile isn't desirable for urban combat. It needs space to work, it has a minimum range, it needs to be set up, you need to track the target after firing. All these things combined leave you open to counter fires. You want an RPG-29 or MLAWs in a city fight.
What you mean is that the round needs time to arm, also its the LAW 88 60 and 72. MILAN is what your thinking about.

I played OPFOR at ZUSSMAN URban Combat Center and we did an RPG attack on an M1A1 and man did the guy in the tower get it, and also the M1A1's don't go in without inafntry support or Hummers.
January 31st, 2005  
SHERMAN

Laser guided missiles are weak in short ranges. The smaller systems are prferable. like the smaller SPIKE veraients:
http://israeli-weapons.com/weapons/m...GillSpike.html
January 31st, 2005  
MadeInChina

in urban battles a couple of explosive bags will disable a tank, as long as someone is brave enough to throw it near the tracks
January 31st, 2005  
SHERMAN

Unless you guys start talking about the missile itself, im locking..
February 1st, 2005  
MadeInChina

fine, missile it is

it is likely that infantry aimed laser guidance systems will be used for the aiming of the red arrow, since it is cheap and accurate as long as the infantry keep the laser on the tank
February 1st, 2005  
Missileer

I guess I missed the part in the writeup of the Red Arrow that gave proven test specifications. All I read was "it is said to...yada, yada, yada." I would like to read about the Arrow in a non-biased military article. Does Jane's have anything on it?
February 1st, 2005  
Sexybeast

globalsecurity.org should be considered unbiased...

go check it out
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...china/hj-9.htm