Can you be an Officer and be a drill instructor?

FutureDevilDog

I always see drill instructors on documentaries and TV and they always seem to SGT's or higher but there always enlisted, so what i want to know is is you have to be an enlistee to be a drill instructor.

Thanks

No. That's why the Army calls them "Drill Sergeants."

You can be the company commander, but that's it.

I forgot the name of the Officers who teach Officer Candidates at OCS, but you can be one those fellows. I believe they are Capts. Then they have the PT Instructors. They are enlisted men, SNCOs. I think I'm right, someone correct me of I am.
Lamm

All Marine Corps Drill Instructors are NCO's and SNCO'S. At both the MCRD's and OCS.

As an Officer you can be a Company or Series Officer at the Depots or OCS. Or you can be an Instructor Officer at OCS, but not a Drill Instructor.

In that vain Charge 7 is going to School at Ft Sill to become a Tac Officer at this time. They are responsible for instructing Cadets in the uses of tactics and branch assets among other things. I'm sure he can give you more info on that when he gets time.

About OCS- The folks going to school there are not yet officers, correct? Which would explain the Drill Instructors being NCO's, etc?

OCS candidates are dogged by both NCOs and officers. They get the best of both worlds. :twisted: :lol:

Back