Can North Korea Engage the US in Total War?

Mokhaberat

North Korea is the country most likely to involve the United States in a large-scale war."
North Korea, which can and is willing to face up to the sole military superpower of the world, cannot be called a weak nation. Nevertheless, Analysts distort the truth and depict North Korea as an "impoverished" nation, starving and on the brink of imminent collapse. An impoverished, starving nation cannot face down a military superpower. Today few nations have military assets strong enough to challenge the US military. Russia, though weakened by the collapse of the Soviet Union, has enough assets to face up to the US. China, somewhat weaker than Russia, too, has strong military that can challenge the US. However, both Russia and China lack the political will to face down the US. In contrast, North Korea has not only the military power but also the political will to wage total war against the United States. North Korea has made it clear that it will strike all US targets with all means, if the US mounted military attacks on North Korea. That North Korea's threat is no bluff can be seen from the aggressive actions taken by North Korea since the Korean War armistice, most recent of which is North Korea's attempt to capture an American spy plane. If all can remember on March 1, 2003, an American RC-132S spy plane, Cobra Ball, took off from a US airbase in Okinawa, and cruised along the East coast of North Korea collecting electronic signals. The US intelligence suspected that North Korea was about to test a long-range missile and the plane was there to monitor the suspected missile launch. When the US plane reached a point about 193 km from the coast of North Korea, two MiG-29 and two MiG-21 fighter planes showed up unexpectedly. The North Korean planes approached within 16 m and signaled the US plane to follow them. The US pilot refused to follow the command and left the scene posthaste. The US plane was tailed by the hostiles for about 22 min but let the US spy plane go. There are two key points to be observed here.
First, the hostile planes waited for the US plane at the Uhrang airbase, located about 200 km from the point of air encounter. They knew that the US plane was coming. The North Korean planes flew 200 km to intercept the US plane. Did the US plane see them coming? If it did, why no evasive action? After intercepting the US plane, the hostile planes dogged it for 22 min. Why no American planes for the rescue? The US crew must have informed the base of the danger they were in, but no action was taken by the base. If Kim Jong Il had given the command, the MiGs would have shot down the US plane and returned to their base before the US could have scrambled war planes. Second, North Korea intercepted an American spy plane flying 200 km from its coast. According to the international norm, a nation's territorial air space extends 19 km from its coast line. The US is the exception and claims air space of 370 km from its coast line; any foreign airplane violating this extended air space is challenged or shot down by the US military.North Korea keep's their military capability top secret. North Korea is no exception and it is not easy to assess North Korea's military power. The US claims that it knows North Korea's military secrets. The United States collects intelligence on North Korea using a variety of means: American U-2, RC-135, EP-3 and other high-altitude spy planes watch over North Korea 24 hours 7 days a week. The US 5th Air Reconnaissance Squadron has U-2R, U-2S, and other advanced spy planes at the Ohsan airbase in South Korea. In addition, the US has 70 KH-11 spy satellites hovering over North Korea. In spite of such a massive deployment of intelligence collection assets, the US intelligence on North Korea is faulty at best. Donald Gregg, a former US ambassador to Seoul and a 30-year CIA veteran, has admitted that the US intelligence on North Korea has been the longest lasting story of failure in the annals of US intelligence.What is more interesting even the best spy gadget in the US arsenal cannot read what's on Kim Jong Il's mind. US Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld said that North Korea uses underground optical fibers for military communication and that it is nearly impossible to plant human agents in North Korea. I realy dont no if my info is right or not so correct me if im wrong about my info.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is lifted entirely from the source I quoted from my post. Mate this is plagiarism.

The difference in a war between NK and the US is that three or four missiles may launch from NK but a small strike from the US could be anywhere from 50 to 300 warheads. And I don't mean the kind that may or may not work.

Plagiarism

This is lifted entirely from the source I quoted from my post. Mate this is plagiarism.

Plagiarism: What It is and How to Recognize and Avoid It, to all who reads this post About North Korea

In college courses, we are continually engaged with other people’s ideas: we read them in texts, hear them in lecture, discuss them in class, and incorporate them into our own writing. As a result, it is very important that we give credit where it is due. Plagiarism is using others’ ideas and words without clearly acknowledging the source of that information that allready exzest. Sory but i did not know of your post. Pleas Desregard this post about North Korea, With Extrem Apolagies,

By Mokhaberat = Libyan General

Last edited:
War

The difference in a war between NK and the US is that three or four missiles may launch from NK but a small strike from the US could be anywhere from 50 to 300 warheads. And I don't mean the kind that may or may not work.

All good and said, So the U.S will let loose the Juice,

Discounting the possible use of nuclear weapons, I feel that the USA could certainly win the battle and quite quickly, however it would almost certainly have to involve sacrificing disproportionately large numbers of South Korean lives, due to the North's policy of destroying Seoul as a first priority.

NK does not have the military to challenge us... A conventional war between the 2 would be a very quick success for the USA. I couldnt even finish reading that garbage.

I seem to remember hearing the same thing back in 2002/2003 about Iraq. In a conventional battle, North Korea doesn't stand a chance, however they will not be lacking when it comes to insurgent attacks after our initial invasion/victory, which will take longer than Iraq simply because of the nature of the terrain there. 1 in 4 North Koreans has some sort of affiliation to either the Army or some other Paramilitary force, thanks to the indoctrination tactics of the North Korean government over the last 50 years the entire population is utterly convinced of the evil nature of the Japanese, South Koreans, Americans and even the Chinese, their only ally. We'd be looking at a long occupation in a nation where the locals are practically bred to hate anything not North Korean, I say we bomb any military, defend against any attacks North Korea throw at Japan or South Korea, and call it good enough, not like we can make the population suffer any more than they already are.

Extrem concern

NK does not have the military to challenge us... A conventional war between the 2 would be a very quick success for the USA. I couldnt even finish reading that garbage.

Yes I Understand it very well, But theirs allways a but in A time of War, and to Challenge the United States of America in a Military Confrontation raises "extrem concerns over global security" in that part of the world. And we all know that NK has a Nuke,

Info

I seem to remember hearing the same thing back in 2002/2003 about Iraq. In a conventional battle, North Korea doesn't stand a chance, however they will not be lacking when it comes to insurgent attacks after our initial invasion/victory, which will take longer than Iraq simply because of the nature of the terrain there. 1 in 4 North Koreans has some sort of affiliation to either the Army or some other Paramilitary force, thanks to the indoctrination tactics of the North Korean government over the last 50 years the entire population is utterly convinced of the evil nature of the Japanese, South Koreans, Americans and even the Chinese, their only ally. We'd be looking at a long occupation in a nation where the locals are practically bred to hate anything not North Korean, I say we bomb any military, defend against any attacks North Korea throw at Japan or South Korea, and call it good enough, not like we can make the population suffer any more than they already are.

If you have any info about the North Korean's Military..... Military Power Send it or post it, it will help

North korean military don't have enough resource for total war against america.
So,if they get aid from UN,they will continue to develop NBC and kim will survive.
Promiss?Gimme a break.
You think them save promiss?
Anyway,They d,n't have food,oil,ammo, and many things that needed for maintain machines and human.
NK worry about revolt against kim dynasty by their generals.
If kim dynasty was collapsed,china will occupy north korea to support rebellious force(That may be better than current situation ・・・・)
From my view,I want John Bolton to be UN ambassador again.

Last edited:

I think the last NK missile test proved that having the bomb and being able to deliver it to its target are two different problems altogether. And thats assuming that they have a working bomb, because the last nuclear test was less than convincing.

In a hypothetical war I think the North Koreans would stream through SK (capturing Souel) to about the halfway point (my best guess). Then their supplies would run out and massive US-UN (possibly NATO) reinforcements would be arriving in force. They would then be routed except for a handful of hardcore units loyal to Kim Jong Il that would make a stand for as long as they could.

Last edited:
I think the biggest loser will be South Korea in any event, not hard in my mind to envision groups of NK gunmen going through Seoul killing everyone, or as many people as they can find. Of course today South Korea holds the advantage in technology, weaponry and manpower unlike 1950 when North Korea held so many advantages.

In my opinion the United States of America underestimated the resolve of the North Vietnamese and the Vietnamese communists during the Vietnam War.
Also in my opinion the United States of America underestimated the resolve of the Taliban and al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, along with the Iraqi insurgents in Iraq.

Constant underestimating of potential and actively engaged enemies is not a good thing, in my own opinion.

I can say one thing.
If american attacked DPARK,Chin would help DPARK under Sino-DPARK mutual defense treaty to save their glacis.
But・・・・judging from chinese and north korean weapons are inferior than US and south korean's and moral of their troops are totally very low・・・・・
They often say "Americans are rotten by capitalism and our troops have solid will to build great communism state and world revolution!"
But from my view They don't think training of troops important and american soldiers are world most trained.
So the most plobrem is "Will sino-DPRK union use tactical nuke in korea?"

Last edited:
I can say one thing.
If american attacked DPARK,Chin would help DPARK under Sino-DPARK mutual defense treaty to save their glacis.
But・・・・judging from chinese and north korean weapons are inferior than US and south korean's and moral of their troops are totally very low・・・・・
They often say "Americans are rotten by capitalism and our troops have solid will to build great communism state and world revolution!"
But from my view They don't think training of troops important and american soldiers are world most trained.
So the most plobrem is "Will sino-DPRK union use tactical nuke in korea?"

As China proved the last time the US was on the dance card in Korea its not so much the equipment, but rather more about the number of people one brings to the party.

What makes you think the US can beat China and North Korea this time without the US going Nuclear first?

Weapons? The US had state of the art Weapons during the Korean War and we had to settle for a tie. The US would in my opinion need to deliver the knockout punch with the initial assault if China were in the game on the side of North Korea.

China has a hell of a lot of people to put into the fight.....

Military manpower
Military age18 years of age
Voluntary ages 18-49 to join
Availability males ages of 18-49: 342,956,265 female age 18-49: 324,701,244 (2005 est.)
Fit for military service males age 18-49: 281,240,272 female age 18-49: 269,025,517 (2005 est.)
Active troops 2,250,000 (Ranked 1st)
Total troops 7,024,000 (Ranked 3rd)
Paramilitary force 1,500,000
Reaching military age annually males: 13,186,433 females : 12,298,149 (2005 est.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Liberation_Army

North Korea has quite a few Troops as well......

Military manpower
Military age (males)17 years of age (2004)
Availability (males)17-49: 5,851,801 (2005 est.)
Fit for military service (males)17-49: 4,810,831 (2005 est.)
Reaching military age annually (males)194,605 (2005 est.)
Active troops 1,102,600 (Ranked 5th)
Total troops 5,995,000 (Ranked 4th)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_North_Korea

Morale? If China and North Korea were counter-attacking South Korea, the morale of US Forces (and South Koreans both Military and Civilian) would be, in my opinion, pretty low.... seing how the US is already fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, and seeing how the North Koreans don't really have a lot to look forward to right now, so, attacking South Korea with China backing them up may just be a boost to their morale.

One of the disadvantages China has right now is Military Transport to the Battlefield, but seeing how North Korea borders China that disadvantage becomes less of an issue, while the United States would have to Transport troops and equipment from other Areas of Operation into the fight, while a lot of our Military Equipment has been, and is being used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Back