Can North Korea Engage the US in Total War? - Page 3

--

February 19th, 2007  
Damien435

Ahh Gator, you forgot a very important statistic.

United States' Military Expenditures
Dollar figure: 522 billion (Ranked 1st) (58% of world total)

China's Military Expenditures
Dollar Figure: 70 billion (Ranked 3rd)

North Korea's Military Expenditures
Dollar Figure: 5 billion (Ranked 26th)

The technology gap between the United States and China is much larger than it was back in the 50's because China no longer rely on exports from the Soviet Union for their latest military equipment, like they could with the Mig-15 during Korea.
February 19th, 2007  
Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435

The technology gap between the United States and China is much larger than it was back in the 50's because China no longer rely on exports from the Soviet Union for their latest military equipment, like they could with the Mig-15 during Korea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
As China proved the last time the US was on the dance card in Korea its not so much the equipment, but rather more about the number of people one brings to the party........

The US had state of the art Weapons during the Korean War and we had to settle for a tie.
Even without large numbers of Troops and the fact that Iraqi Insurgents seem to spend a whole lot less than the US militarily, and such the US has better equipment than the Iraqi Insurgents, plus more Troops, and yet it seems at the present time that the US cannot beat the Iraqi insurgents. The Taliban and al Qaeda also spend less than the United States of America militarily, and the US cannot seem to wrap things up there after all these years, longer than World War II as a matter of fact.

I'll also point out in a historical context (along with the fact that the US tied in the Korean War) that the US also spent more than the North Vietnamese militarily, and had state of the art equipment, and yet the North Vietnamese beat the United States of America.
February 19th, 2007  
bulldogg

I beg to differ, STRONGLY. But we've done this dance before so perhaps you have something new to add Gator.

Vietnam War, lost or not.
--
February 20th, 2007  
Damien435

Yes, but last time was a limited war. Can't draw an insurgency from a population that doesn't exist. (ie everyone's dead)
February 20th, 2007  
sandy

Gator,the most plobrem about military is supply.
About 1,500 ton supplies for a division a day.
I don't think china can carry enough supplies for such large army as you think.
AKA,railroad in NK is completely ruined lack maintainance.
I don't think shipborne work under airsuperiority under UN Air force.(or Sino-DPARK union can secure air superiority by their Mig-21?)
So,truck and foot supply are the main way for chinese and north korean.
American stealth bomber can cut their supply line easily?
All right,I hope china doesn't help DPARK but I can't stop thinking about the worst situation.
February 20th, 2007  
bulldogg

Sandy... newsflash... over a year ago Hu Jintao declared that the Chinese-DPRK Mutual Defense Pact was "no longer in effect" due to the change of the world political scene. If the DPRK goes to war they go it alone this time.
February 20th, 2007  
Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
All right,I hope china doesn't help DPARK but I can't stop thinking about the worst situation.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

If only those words were heeded by the current White House with regards to Military Operations ongoing right now.
February 20th, 2007  
sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Sandy... newsflash... over a year ago Hu Jintao declared that the Chinese-DPRK Mutual Defense Pact was "no longer in effect" due to the change of the world political scene. If the DPRK goes to war they go it alone this time.
I knew it,but same time he said that
Quote:
"When managing ideology, we have to learn from Cuba and North Korea. Although North Korea has encountered temporary economic problems, its policies are consistently correct"
Source
http://www.stwr.net/content/view/1172/37/

Well,I don't know his true face but basically I don't believe most politician's words.
But from strategic view,he must not welcome americans to be sitting near Beijing.
That situation may be another cuban crisis for chinese.
・・・・・・・International politic system seems world of god father for me・・・・・・

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435

?hum?
But you forget about an important fact PPP (Purchasing power parity)
That means Chinese soldiers costs are very cheap.
And most armies pay salary for soldiers.
And chinese official announcement?
Who the moron on the earth believe it?
So now I can say that Chinese buy russian weapons and engines,avionics.
February 20th, 2007  
Damien435

Sandy, those numbers are not from China's official sources, they are from the CIA World Factbook, Wikipedia, and an assortment of other sources (DoD publications, etc.) where I averaged the numbers because the official size of their military budget is kept secret and estimates vary from 60-90 billion USD. Even if the Chinese pay their soldiers a dollar a week it still doesn't change the fact that we are far outspending China. Even if China does have the latest jet fighters from Sukhoi or any other Russian design firms, it still doesn't change the fact that China is greatly lacking in the support department, they are putting all their money into these brand new ocean going vessels and shiny fighters and tanks with big guns and they will send them into combat blind. China's Air Force will get hacked to pieces if they attempt to engage the United States in open warfare, with advances in missile technology we can hit the Chinese aircraft seconds after they get off the ground (did it in Iraq rounds 1 and 2) because of our superior detection techology (satellite, radar, etc.). It won't be cheap, it won't be easy, we'd lose a lot of lives and quite frankly invading North Korea is not worth risking a war with China but we would win.
March 6th, 2007  
sandy

Damien,I'm worried if chinese&north korean fighters take off from chinese territory and washignton doesn't allow bombing chinese mainland as korean war Ⅰ.
Chinese doesn't have enough AWACS but can use ground rader system.
And moree even if china doesn't support North korea officially,what will happen if china allow north korean guerilla to stay in china and buy weapons?
As iraq shows,even amateur guerillas are enough to force americans to pay great efforts for security.