Can Marines attend Ranger School?

Rocky_Raccoon

im enlisted in the Marine Corps and I was woundering if I could go to Ranger School and have the tab and still be a Marine..? if so how do i go about doing so.

its possible to go through ranger school, most Marines that go through ranger school are in a recon BN or some sort of high billet in the infantry. you dont wear any of the patches or anything that the army does when they pass ranger school but it goes in your SRB(service record book) and it looks good for promotion. also keeps you alive longer in wartime. youll probably be in the USMC for a little bit before you are allowed a chance at ranger school.

MilidarUSMC said:
also keeps you alive longer in wartime. youll probably be in the USMC for a little bit before you are allowed a chance at ranger school.

Like Milidar said Marines can go to Army Ranger School. However the billets requiring a Marine to go to Ranger Course and the School seats available to the Marine Corps are limited to mostly the Recon Community.At times in the past Air and Naval Gunfire Liasion Companies have aquired seats in the school but as they are recently stood back up I'm not sure if they still receive those seats.

So to have even an outside chance to attend Ranger School you would need to to.

Have an 0300 series MOS, or Communications MOS that is able to be assigned to Recon/Radio Recon.

INDOC with Force Recon

Pass INDOC and be assigned to a Force Recon Company.

Attend and pass ARS/BRC

Attend and pass Airborne School

Spend your time operational with a platoon and team and prove your worth as an 0321.

Then you might get a seat at Ranger School.

While Ranger school will certainly teach you good skills and expand your knowledge base I dont know that it will keep you alive any longer in combat.

Pass INDOC

Yup! I know Marines can go through it but you really have to push for it and be quite the bad ass to even get considered. I was in the Army and I know that you have to be a minimum of an E-5, Airborne qualified, in a combat MOS and score perfect on PT tests. I can't remember everything but it's even hard for Soldiers to get in it. I wish you the absolute best of luck with this and hope it works out for you.

I've known E4s who have went through Ranger school. I believe victor slots [11B20v] dont start until E5 though. It is not required to be airborne either.

Last edited:
Back