Can you make a silencer from plastic bottle?

Zajcef

Well first i want to tell you that im not planing to make a silencer so save me from the lectures,im asking this because i saw it in a movie(on deadly ground with Steven Seagal:roll:)and its killing me a long time....

So is it possible to make a silencer from a plastic bottle and is it safe for the user?
Does it work with bigger calibers like 7,62 or 9mm or just .22?
:salute2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing a kit (decades ago) that would allow you to mount a 2-liter plastic bottle on the end of guns like the Ingraham MAC-10 or MAC-11.

I can't see how these would be unsafe. The bullet should be able to pass through the plastic if the parts are not made/attached properly. At worst these units would melt to the barrel ... or merely be blown off the gun end of the gun.

The enemy of stealth with a fired round is speed (velocity). So, lower velocity rounds such as .22 rimfire or pistol rounds are best.

High speed rounds such as 5.56mm, 7.62mm (NATO) and .50 BMG are the hardest to quiet down.

Yes you can, but its only good for one shot and it doesn't silence sound as good as you see on tv, also it will only muffle the sound from certain gun, a 9mm might be a little more quiet than a 38, but a 45 is gonna let everybody know what you just did.

Oh btw a 7.62 is gonna go through the bottom of the bottle like it wasn't even there,

Yes you can, but its only good for one shot and it doesn't silence sound as good as you see on tv, also it will only muffle the sound from certain gun, a 9mm might be a little more quiet than a 38, but a 45 is gonna let everybody know what you just did.

Oh btw a 7.62 is gonna go through the bottom of the bottle like it wasn't even there,

I agree with Wolfy ....... while you derive a small amount of silencing with a pop bottle, the noise will still give you away.

Arent there some pistols which when fired only make a small clicking noise?

I know theres a KGB pistol like that, I cant remember the name though.

Apparently the Mark 23 (SOCOM) pistol is incredibly quiet because you can lock the slide so it doesn't move when you fire.

You can make a suppressor for a 240mm howitzer out of cotton candy if you have enough of it. The question is, how much suppression do you need and how practical is the method.

I would seriously suggest that you forget about plastic bottles as silencers or suppressors. I've seen what happens to a suppressor for a 5.56mm made out of a heavy aluminium torch casing. The owner now has a very badly disfigured upper arm and a loss of 60% in use, as well as a sprinkling of small scars on his forehead, several near his left eye.

Last edited:
You can make a suppressor for a 240mm howitzer out of cotton candy if you have enough of it. The question is, how much suppression do you need and how practical is the method.

I would seriously suggest that you forget about plastic bottles as silencers or suppressors. I've seen what happens to a suppressor for a 5.56mm made out of a heavy aluminium torch casing. The owner now has a very badly disfigured upper arm and a loss of 60% in use, as well as a sprinkling of small scars on his forehead, several near his left eye.

I ve heard similar recepie with shaving foam instead of cotton candy...

About the second part-exactly what I was asking.So its not safe....

You know, I'm a big fan of putting untested explosive stuff (including firearms) on a clamp and pulling the trigger via string while hiding behind a plate of thick metal or something.

You know, I'm a big fan of putting untested explosive stuff (including firearms) on a clamp and pulling the trigger via string while hiding behind a plate of thick metal or something.
Me too:mrgreen:
But i don't want to waste a good gun just to try if it ,,works,,

About the second part-exactly what I was asking.So its not safe....
You may get away with it, but the question remains, is it practical, and is it worth the risk.

Although the amount of gas involved is relatively small, very high pressures are involved and can rise to 62,000 psi, (430 MPa) which means that the gas will expand to more than 4200 times it's original volume. this could turn small pieces of plastic into very dangerous projectiles.

Did anyone see "Shooter" when he makes a silencer out of a glass pop bottle?

As Spike pointed out with the plastic bottles being dangerous, using a glass bottle is akin to having a hand grenade on the end of the firearm.

I have tested quite a few supressers over the years, the best I have used was a New Zealand built one about 4 inches long fitted to a little .22 Brno rifle. The rifle was quieter then an air rifle (literally) and when using subsonic ammunition there was no crack from the bullet.

If you don't know what your doing, don't listen to the all too frequent so called experts and don't mess with home made "silencers." Again as Spike pointed out, the pressures are huge.

The thing is that alot of people believe what they see from movies--instead of actually working hands on with objects. I mean, if I see some actor put a suppressor on a revolver....I just may lose it right there in the movies (I really won't, but you know what I mean---it's like where in the world did you get your technical advisors from?)

" ... if I see some actor put a suppressor on a revolver....I just may lose it right there in the movies."

I'm SURE I've seen this at least once or twice ... actor pulls out a silencer and screws it on then takes a few shots with the generic, hollywood "phyewwt ... phyewwt" sound emanating from the gun.

We could have an entire thread of "no way!" moments from movies. Rambo II comes to mind when Stallone takes out a Hind helicopter with an acorn-sized explosive warhead on the end of an arrow. Not quite a firearm ... but it sticks in my head as a great example of Hollyweird nonsense.

Back to the original topic, I saw the ad for the directions ... never saw the directions themselves and certainly didn't recommend the procedure.

I heard a subsonic 22 LR fire through a 2 liter plastic bottle. It was quieter Than without the bottle. the second shot is not as quiet as the first. Both were louder than supressers that i have herd. I think that a supressor is viaable if the noise does not alarm people into thinking that it is a gun shot.

he went into younder village and never returned

Back