Can I join the Army with an anxiety disorder?

Brendon

Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with a panic disorder (WITHOUT agoraphobia). I'm currently 17 years old, and I plan on enlisting this summer. I've only had a hand-full of panic attacks throughout my entire life. Joining the Army is all I've ever wanted, and I see some people saying you can join with it, and some say I can't. It's really worrying me, and I don't know what I'd possibly do if I couldn't join. If this helps - I hope to become an infantryman. I feel as if I was wrongfully diagnosed with the disorder - does that matter?

This is really putting a damper on me (worrying that I may not be able to join).

Anyways, can I join the Army with an anxiety disorder?

Last edited:
No way will you get through even basic training with an anxiety disorder sorry mate.
I don't get panic/anxiety attacks though. I don't take the medication prescribed to me, because I have absolutely nothing wrong. Although, it says "panic disorder" that I don't have on my medical records, which may hinder my chances in joining. It's absolutely stupid.

Note that this a time when the military is cutting back and not recruiting as many people.
With any kind of medical problem you may have problems.
A lot might depend on what kind of ASVAB score you get.

Note that this a time when the military is cutting back and not recruiting as many people.
With any kind of medical problem you may have problems.
A lot might depend on what kind of ASVAB score you get.
People are saying "don't tell anyone at MEPS". Should I do that?

As an ex recruiter, although a long time ago by your standards, my experience is that trying to hide something at MEPS is futile. It will come out eventually.

As an ex recruiter, although a long time ago by your standards, my experience is that trying to hide something at MEPS is futile. It will come out eventually.
In terms of what? As long as I don't get demoted or kicked out, I don't really care. That's what I'm worried about.

Honestly I dont know. I have yet to meet an american who doesnt take a cocktail of pills daily so maybe having a disorder like that isnt too unusal?
I dont see why these kids always seem to pop up with illnesses with no actual symptoms - how do you let yourself get diagnosed with something you dont have?
But I stand by what I said. Find another career path because this is one where breaking down when the pressure comes on isnt fair on your mates.

In terms of what? As long as I don't get demoted or kicked out, I don't really care. That's what I'm worried about.

Again a lot depends on your ASVAB scores and what job you get. The problems with hiding things at MEPS usually comes to light when your Security Clearance Background Investigation reveals what you are trying to conceal.

Honestly I dont know. I have yet to meet an american who doesnt take a cocktail of pills daily so maybe having a disorder like that isnt too unusal?
I dont see why these kids always seem to pop up with illnesses with no actual symptoms - how do you let yourself get diagnosed with something you dont have?
But I stand by what I said. Find another career path because this is one where breaking down when the pressure comes on isnt fair on your mates.

That's what everyone tells me. I can completely function 100% fine without the medicine - and I prefer to not take them. Because, in America, doctors have an excuse for everything. They treat everything with medicine when it's not necessary to. They don't consider therapy or anything like that. They just wanna write prescriptions, because that's the "easy way".

If anxiety "disorder" is a problem in your life, I say, most definitely join one of the Armed forces and it will no longer be a "disorder", they will go out of their way to give you really good reasons to be anxious,... to a degree you have never known in your life,... believe me.

Anxiety will become a major part of your life.

Last edited:
That's what everyone tells me. I can completely function 100% fine without the medicine - and I prefer to not take them. Because, in America, doctors have an excuse for everything. They treat everything with medicine when it's not necessary to. They don't consider therapy or anything like that. They just wanna write prescriptions, because that's the "easy way".

I saw a female in my AIT who randomly broke down and started crying during class due to an anxiety attack. The NCOs knew and didn't want to report it to chapter her out. If she could make it through MEPS and IET, there's a good chance you could make it as well. Although when she enlisted that was a year ago, so i don't know about now.

Again, depending on your MOS and the level of your Security Clearance, your Background Investigation won’t catch up to you until after AIT. What the investigation uncovers will influence your clearance level and therefore whether or not you will stay in, and at this time they are looking for reasons to get people out.

It used to be ADHD that they labeled everyone with now its Autism and Bipolar disorder... gotta keep those numbers of people needing meds up. It would be bad for business if people just dealt with it.

Listen, don't listen to the negative comments in here man. I joined the military and I had Tourette syndrome. I didn't say I had it a MEPS and no one ever looked into my medical record. Of course I was never hospitalized or nothing like that. But my point it that you can join, just don't put down that you had anxiety, chances are they will only look into your medical background if there's a problem. But just determine for yourself if you think that when you get under tension how do you react, because if you do end up having a panic attack, then you might want to think about that, but the military did good for me, it almost got rid of my Tourette's, because I was anxious too, but I was able to face my fears in the military, I was infantry and went to war, so all things are possible man, just be careful if you're very anxious, then I wouldn't recommend combat arms, because your buddies will depend on you, and they might not take too kindly to you having a panic with them in training. Best of luck man, hope this helps!

Just what is needed when a unit goes into combat is some one that throws a wobbly. If the Army took some one with a known problem and it went wrong they would be held accountable.

I had a few things that could have kept me out and had to get a waiver for one but I was just up front with it all. Plus I was 36 years old when I went through boot camp as a 21B and still showed up many 18 year olds..lol but I would say you have a chance at it. Things changing as to who can get in or why they can't but people were saying that when I joined also but you just have to roll with it.

Don't let a disorder stop you from trying for sure..it will probably depend on MEPPS DR.S and what all is put on your records. What does your recruiter say ?

Have you considered that you might be put into incredibly tense situations where judgement and ability to react become paramount?

People will be depending on you and your ability to have their backs or perform vital actions for days on end.
Can't sugar coat this.
You need to contact a recruiter.
If you have a medical condition, you cannot fail to report it during your enlistment.
It will be discovered and hopefully before anything happens.
Just because you want this so badly, it may turn out you don't qualify.
You have given a couple really juvenile responses that won't fly in real time.
Good luck.

With 7 out of 10 are rejected you have little too worry about but there's always plan B keep your mouth shut about it .

Back