Can the Israeli Patriots/Arrow system defeat Iran's Shahabs?

Lunatik

Iran says it'd retaliate against Israel and US bases in the area if/when it's attacked by either of teh two. What I wonder is how prepared Israel is in terms of missile defense. Can the Israeli Arrows and Patriots engage all Iranian missiles headed for the Israeli airspace?

According to FAS.org, Shahab 6 features a range of over 6,000 kilometers and can carry a 1,000 kilogram payload. Whoa! A few of those should be able to level Haifa even with conventional high explosive warheads.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/iran/missile/shahab-6.htm

It's about as strong as a MK84 I believe. Each large enough to destroy a large building. But this isn't really my forte...

I dont think anyone here can tell you if the arrow will work since it was never fired operationaly. the patriot was **** in 1991 and did close to nothing, but who knows, with all the improvements.

@13th

Yes, the MK84 is 2039 lb, which is 927 kg, almost as much high explosive as the Shahab 6. I don't know what sort of terminal guidance these missiles will feature but I don't think they'll have a CEP of less than 0.1%. It is unlikely that they'll have GPS/Galileo, let alone the military grade version, and gyro based INS alone can only guide to a city at best from 1,500 kilometers away. So, Iran would naturally use these for attacks on the general Israeli infrastructure/public.

@Sherman

You're right, Arrow is a mystery as of now. It 'sounds' good on paper but we'd never know whether it really is or not until it's deployed and used at least in a realistic ballistic test. Patriot did make a bad name for itself in the Gulf War but the PAC-3 is currently being marketed as a pretty capable defense system. It's deployed by many NATO countries.

Are the Israeli Patriots PAC-3 or an earlier version?

783px-CSA-2006-10-04-085145.jpg

South Korean PAC-3

i dont know, im not much on air defence. but irecon they are the most advanced version, as thier whole perpouse is anti-missile

Interesting. The guy in the picture is wearing a US Army uniform and the paint scheme on that Patriot isn't typical South Korean.
Maybe the guy is KATUSA, but I think that Patriot is American.

13th, you're close. More specifically, the guy on the photo is Spc. Daniel Nebrida, from Battery C, 1st Battalion, 43rd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division in Osan, South Korea, while performing a maintenance check on a Patriot missile proptecting Korean airspace. That photo appeared on www.army.mil.

With camouflage paint on his face? It's got to be some kind of exercise. I can't imagine anyone going outside to do a maintenance check on something with their face pasted green.

Cammo paint doesn't make you look tough. In fact, it's just a pain in the ass.
Well, how else do you explain the photo then 13th? I mean, jungle camo doesn't really provide a whole lot of disguise when the guy is standing in front of a desert schemed PAC-3 launcher. :)

That IS a jungle camo on his face, no?

Yep, and it goes with his BDU pattern helmet.
The missile tubes (or whatever you call them) are tan but the rest of the vehicle is your regular green. In Korea, there is no reason to have desert camouflage.
The guy is obviously working the Patriot during an exercise or else there would be no need for face cammo.

Then, does it really work?

I mean, is the trouble and annoyance really worth the benefits of wearing a face camo with all this modern equipment like infrared/thermal cameras that can spot a human being hiding behind a thick cloud of fog hundred yards or more away?

Face to face combat seem to have moved into the urban areas anyway. How would an urban face camo look like? All black? :)

camo74.jpg

Back