Can you identify this ribbon?

Third from left is Korean Order of Military Merit, Ulchi Class. Pink with white stripes and embroidered blue and red ying-yang symbol in the middle.
Still not having any luck with the striped one. Spent last night looking at page after page of foreign medals and awards...nada. Bob

CdeG with Palm and Star.

I thought there was only one unit that received that award during WW2, 440th AAA AW Battalion for action during the initial stages of the Ardennes Offensive.

I guess what I am getting at is that if it is a Foreign/Campaign award then maybe the unit would be an easier trace?

The only thing I can find authorised in the US that is remotely close is the Luxembourg War Cross but it is inverted colour-wise.

Last edited:
Finally think I have this one...

I suspect it is the Bronze Lion of the Netherlands.
125px-Bronzen_Leeuw.jpg

85px-Neth_bronzelion_rib.PNG

Interestingly the ribbon bar is almost identical (but not quite) to that of Lieutenant General Robert F. Sink

Last edited:
It would appear that the Bronze Lion is one of the highest awards in the Nerthlands it is almost on par with the Medal of Honour

Bronze Lion

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Bronze Lion
The Bronze LionAwarded by Kingdom of the NetherlandsTypeMilitary awardAwarded forDeeds of extreme bravery and leadership in battle favouring the NetherlandsStatusCurrently awardedStatisticsFirst awarded1944Last awarded2009 (Björn Peterse, posthumous)Total awarded1212Posthumous
awardsPosthumous awards are possiblePrecedenceNext (higher)Order of the House of OrangeEquivalentHonorable MentionNext (lower)Resistance Star East Asia
Ribbon bar of the Bronze LionThe Bronze Lion (Dutch: Bronzen Leeuw) is a high Royal Dutch award, intended for servicemen who have shown extreme bravery and leadership in battle favouring The Netherlands; in some special cases it can however be awarded to Dutch or foreign civilians. It was first created in 1944 and has since been issued 1210 times. Proposals for an award are reviewed by the Dutch Board for Bravery Awards, which is part of the ministry of Defence. If awarded they are enforced by a Royal Decree. The Bronze Lion has precedence after the Order of the House of Orange, but is the second highest military decoration still being awarded for bravery (only preceded by the Military William Order).
[edit] Design

The Bronze Lion is a cross in bronze, covered by a round shield. On the front is a relief of the crowned Dutch Lion. The cross is attached to a 37 millimetre wide ribbon, divided into nine equal vertical stripes, alternately orange and 'Nassau blue', the strips on either edge are Nassau blue. It is possible for a single person to receive more than one award of the Bronze Lion, in which case a number '2' in gold is added on the ribbon of the Bronze Lion.
[edit] Last awarded

On Wednesday 31 May 2006, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands posthumously awarded the late Major General Stanisław Sosabowski, commander of the 1st (Polish) Independent Parachute Brigade, the Bronze Lion for his services in Operation Market Garden in 1944.
On Wednesday 7 October 2009, two Dutch soldiers were awarded the medal: commando Björn Peterse (posthumously awarded) and Kaptain Gijs, for their actions in Afghanistan
[edit] References

:bravo:Ahh you guys are the greatest! That has to be it. Thank you so much, I have spent hours looking for that but just didn't know where to look. What a great award. Thank you again, Bob

It would appear that the Bronze Lion is one of the highest awards in the Nerthlands it is almost on par with the Medal of Honour

I would suggest that it is perhaps closer to a Silver Star than an MOH.

It was awarded to several members (8 or 9) of the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment in 1945.

In the UK you are not allowed to mix oversea medals with the UK ones and many men I know from WW2 have to wear them on the right hand side of the blazer. Before any one suggests that they are their fathers medals I can assure you that they are not.
Seeing that only 1200 of these medals have been awarded I think I check on that persons file would tell you if they were there at a time when one could have been won, also if it is an important one then why is it at the bottom of the stack unless it is unimportant

In the UK you are not allowed to mix oversea medals with the UK ones and many men I know from WW2 have to wear them on the right hand side of the blazer. Before any one suggests that they are their fathers medals I can assure you that they are not.
Seeing that only 1200 of these medals have been awarded I think I check on that persons file would tell you if they were there at a time when one could have been won, also if it is an important one then why is it at the bottom of the stack unless it is unimportant

Because in the US military, foriegn awards are authorized for wear, no more than three at a time. US personal decorations also take precedence over any foriegn award. Army Regulation 670-1 covers the wear and appearance of the military uniform and that includes awards.

Here are a couple more to try your hand at. I believe the 1st ribbon on the left, second row up from the bottom is the
Luxembourg Cross or sometimes called the Luxembourg Croix de Guerre, similar in colors to the Bronze Lion but reversed.
What is the bottom left ribbon? All red with a rosette. Thanks, Bob
DSMForeignmedals_zpsb2e16f97.jpg

Here are a couple more to try your hand at. I believe the 1st ribbon on the left, second row up from the bottom is the
Luxembourg Cross or sometimes called the Luxembourg Croix de Guerre, similar in colors to the Bronze Lion but reversed.
What is the bottom left ribbon? All red with a rosette. Thanks, Bob

I see a Distinguished Service Medal

a Silver Star

a Legion of Merit

a Bronze Star w/V and cluster (second award)

an Air Medal

an ARCOM

more...... this may help you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_military

when you get to link scroll down a bit and you will see a display of ribbons.... click on one to see what they are awarded for and what precedent they are to be displayed.

I am going to assume your father was in the Army Air Corp during WW2

see this for the all red w/rosette -- (4th from left..)

http://www.medals.org.uk/france/france004.htm

Last edited:
I am going to assume your father was in the Army Air Corp during WW2

Thanks for your reply. Actually these medals belong to my uncle and unfortunately he is no longer
around to relate how he received them. I do have all his US medals identified and I did wonder how
or why an Army soldier would get an Air medal. It's the bottom two rows of Foreign medals I am trying to figure out:

From the left-
Luxembourg War Cross
French Croix de Guerre w Palm & Bronze Star
Korea Order of the Ulchi
unknown (green w red stripes at end)
unknown (all red w red rosette)
unknown (red w white ends)
unknown (Korean-peach w white stripes)
United Nations Korean Service

I will continue to search but if anyone knows about the unknown ones, I would appreciate the help. Thanks, Bob

Hehe I am working on them but it takes time, besides I have only just finished work on the unknown General question.

Thanks for your reply. Actually these medals belong to my uncle and unfortunately he is no longer
around to relate how he received them. I do have all his US medals identified and I did wonder how
or why an Army soldier would get an Air medal. It's the bottom two rows of Foreign medals I am trying to figure out:

From the left-
Luxembourg War Cross
French Croix de Guerre w Palm & Bronze Star
Korea Order of the Ulchi
unknown (green w red stripes at end)
unknown (all red w red rosette)
unknown (red w white ends)
unknown (Korean-peach w white stripes)
United Nations Korean Service

I will continue to search but if anyone knows about the unknown ones, I would appreciate the help. Thanks, Bob

for the all red w/rosette (4th from left)

http://www.medals.org.uk/france/france004.htm

more French ones........ click on what looks familiar, they will show same medal but differing rankings.

http://www.medals.org.uk/france/france-ribbons.htm

may I ask what it is that your uncle did in them military?

Last edited:

first image of ribbon rack

879d3d38.jpg

as has been suggested by another, get his military records... if you have a copy of his DD-214, which he received when discharged and should have in a box somewhere... it will tell you all the decorations he earned. Each medal comes with a nice certificate explaining what he did to earn such, especially those for valor in combat... these certificates are suitable for framing. Maybe he did such and hung them in his house... he has some pretty high ranking awards, I would suspect he took care of the certificates and if he did not display them surely he kept them in a safe place. Yepper, find his DD-214, it will tell you all

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the help. I will get the copy of of his discharge papers and hopefully all the certificates that go with the medals in the near future. As soon as I have them in my possession I will be glad to post photos and share information. Thanks again, Bob

Thanks guys for all the help. I will get the copy of of his discharge papers and hopefully all the certificates that go with the medals in the near future. As soon as I have them in my possession I will be glad to post photos and share information. Thanks again, Bob

The only one I cant seem to find is the red and white one.
I am certain the green red and white one is Italian but the other is eluding me right now.

Back