Can you help me out? future JTF2 soldier

FutureSOF

Hello,
I'm 14 years old. I'm from Spain. Since I was a child, my mother and I have talked a lot about Canada and loved it, we've travelled there for 6 months... A while ago, I found that what I really wanted to do when I grow up is to become a SpecOps soldier. What I want to say is that I feel like if Canada was also my country (or my country), and so I want to serve there, in SpecOps.

But I don't know if I can join JTF2\FOI2, because I wasn't born there. Can you tell me, please? We're planning to move to Canada next year, get my Canadian citizenship, join the army, train harder and with pride, say that I'm a Canadian SpecOps.

I'm sorry for the long intro, but wanted to show that I'm not a GameBoy guy, that I'll do it with my heart, because of my beliefs and no fear of death :salute:

Last edited:
I mean that I wouldn't mind to die for defending Canada

You should mind dying all the time. It keeps you honest and alive. Trust me, when the enemy is trying to kill you, you very much mind. Be careful what you wish for kid, you just might get it.

You are still a young person and probably don´t think much about life and death.

Death is a fact of life when deployed in a combat zone. If you are not afraid of death you will do stupid things that will get OTHERS killed. You want to listen to and respond to these fears. In cases like these, fear is valuable because it motivates you to act. It can keep you alive and safe.

The best soldiers function with clear heads and follow their training despite their fear. This takes a lot of training and rehearsal and it takes complete dedication to the mission at hand. It also takes the support of your buddies. So you should be afraid my friend, this is how you survive. Listen and learn from those who have been there, then you will achieve your goal someday.

Thanks for the replies. What I wanted to say is that I'm not going to kamikaze or commit suicide, hahaha, no. The thing is, I can imagine that a soldier being surrounded and being shot, is scared. I am not a no-brain person who just do it without thinking. I think, re-think and then act, for all scenarios of my life. I've seen some videos about Spanish soldiers in Afghanistan saying 'Oh, I didn't kill anybody' or 'today was boring, couldn't shoot'. Those are irresponsible people. What I think (my belief) is that being a soldier is not kill for kill, it's giving a person protection and alive'. Everywhere I go, they get me as responsible, honest and disciplined. Don't get me wrong please.

And yes, I know that fears wakes you up. Obviously, no-one wants to get shot. But I mean, that it would be a honour and pride to protect Canada.

BTW, can I join or not?

I believe that it is a requirement that you are a Canadian Citizen.

While waiting to be old enough to join, use your time studying. Stay in school and get some good grades. It will absolutely be beneficial to you the day you apply.

Last edited:
Just like Kesse81 says. Do what you have to do now to be successful in school and get your citizenship lined up...otherwise this conversation will be pointless. Also, you're 14 and it is good you're thinking about your future. Soon enough that future will be here and you'll look back and wonder what happened with all that time you think you have. Don't be in too much of a hurry to grow up. Remember to be a kid once in a while because military or not, once you're an adult, you'll be playing by big boy rules which are far less forgiving.

Keep your sense of purpose, but try not to take yourself too seriously. There's plenty of time to grow up and play soldier...your time as a kid and teen is quite limited, cherish it.

100 percent agree with the replies here. Enjoy your youth, study hard and make the most out of your time and education.

If and when you gain your citizenship and join the Canadian Forces, don't go in thinking "JTF or nothing". JTF2 Selection is extremely challenging and no matter how prepared you think you are, your body and mind will be pushed to the limit. If you're selected, you'll find that Selection was just the tip of the iceberg and the only easy day was yesterday.

However, if you do fail selection, it's not the end of the world. There are still many other opportunities to work within Canadian SOF. For example, if you put forth a solid effort during JTF2 Selection but aren't chosen, there's a possibility that CSOR will give you a shot. Even if that doesn't happen, you'll still be able to take pride in being a member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Oh, yes, I know I've got to do my teenage life. But as it takes too much time to get the citizenship, I've got to start thinking now. And yes, I'll stay 4 or 5 years and train personaly. Then, join JTF2
Oh, ok. Just because I'm curious, is the JTF2 the only SOF in the world that is a one-chance, if not you can't join?

You can try for selection as many times as you want. Or at least as many times as would be reasonable for you. If you come close the first time around but just don't make it, then it'd be worth your time to give it another shot after you've had some time to train and gain some more life experience. If you thunder in after one day, then it'd be best for you to take another look at your priorities.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck. And an early welcome to Canada and Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces.

As for the US side of SOF, in almost all cases, if you don't pass the training you won't be allowed to come back. The vast majority of cases where they are allowed to come back is because they had to recover from an injury during the training. Most US SOF units have different phases of training though. For instance, to become a SEAL you have to complete BUD/S training which is broken down into 3 phases over 6 months. If you fail phase one(fail not quit) you recycle back to day one. If you complete phase one but fail phase 2 you recycle back to the beginning of phase 2.(failing means not passing just one of the numerous evaluations they administer, if you fail several then you will go before a panel and they will decide if you're going to be dropped or given another chance)

Even after training you must go through another 6 months of rigorous training and are not a bona-Fide SEAL until serving in a team and proving yourself. At any point up to where you're proven it can take over 2 years and you can be given your walking papers at any time....and that's just to be a SEAL. US Army Special Forces has training pipelines that last no less than 18 months and over 3 years if you're a team medic! That's not even stepping foot on a team! Once in a team, again, you must prove yourself during a probationary period and you can be given your walking papers at any time.

One thing is for certain though...if you quit, you can NEVER try again...at least in the US you can't.

Thanks for the answers. I think, with what you've said, I'm gonna prepare for SOF during my 4-year-obligatory service before I join SOF. Going to do my best!

If you have the determination, you will succeed.
Remember to train your brain, because it is as much about mental strength as physical strength. The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse. So be positive in everything you do and what life offers you. Learn where your boundaries are and when you find them, you will find that you can mentally move them.

Remember, you can do 100 times more than you think and 1000 times more than your mom think you can do.

Now, carry on soldier. ;)

Back