Can Germany take on Europe again?

--
Boots

April 5th, 2005  
WarMachine

Topic: Can Germany take on Europe again?

In a hypothetical scenario like ww2 where germany was to challenge all the mainland nations of europe, what would the outcome be? For this topic no nukes would be allowed and the US and Russia would not get involved until they were attacked. Any reasonable alliances would make sense.

i figure germany would take out most of east europe seeing whole small a lot of those states are, then would have to struggle against france before coming to a stalemate around paris. But i'm not too sure
April 5th, 2005  
CABAL

No Comment. Just remember that Germany's Military personel numbers are still limited prior to World War II. It is highly unlikely Germany can stage another offensive against Europe again in the near future.
April 5th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yeah, but you wouldn't need many to roll over France and the best part is you wouldn't have to fend off any foreign liberators like in WW2.
--
Boots
April 5th, 2005  
CABAL

But it would be difficult to control insurgencies.

In every simple step before conquest, it would be much wiser to plan how to stabilize and control the local population.
April 5th, 2005  
behemoth79

war has changed. the greatest advantage Germany had was that it had a background of combat. Almost every point in German history it has been at war. the new tech has taken away the commando advantage germany had. it is now a matter of who controls the air.
April 5th, 2005  
Shadowalker

Well if germany did attack, then i cant see it getting very far before it would be driven back. Germany may have the largest military in western europe, but if UK, France, Italy, Swwitzerland and spain joined together in the west then there combined manpower and weapons would outnumber the germans. Also germany doesnt have that large a navy compared to UK and France, they could both put there fleets off german coast and bomb berlin/hamburg etc. from there carriers which spain and italy also have. with the subs of france and UK, there german surface fleet would have problems as would the sub fleet. france, Uk, Spain, Holland all have amphibious fleets, so the german army would have to seperate its army to take care of this attack and deal with the special forces.
In eastern europe there would be more success but it does mean the german army would be thinly scattered, with three fronts. Also in the east the countries still have weapons such as FROG enabling them to target german cities.
April 5th, 2005  
Mikey

I don't see Germany taking Poland and France as swifty as they did in WWII. Even though Poland may have older Soviet era weapons, they have a good sized army. NATO will actual be strinking poland and the Baltics States armys down, but they will become mor moderized. It would not be as easy as the days of Calvary charges vs. Tanks. While I'm not a big fan of France, they do have a mordern, well equiped army. The big change since WWII is manpower, there isn't any big armys anymore that can hold a large amount of land ( the US is having manpower problem holding just Iraq) except for maybe China but with old Soviet arms I think China realizes they would be outclassed by a modern western army (like US v Iraq), I think that is the big reason they are modernizing their army.
April 5th, 2005  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal
No Comment. Just remember that Germany's Military personel numbers are still limited prior to World War II. It is highly unlikely Germany can stage another offensive against Europe again in the near future.
I believe that's what one might call a comment, professor.

Locked.