Can civilians own a silencer?

Lunatik

Guys, for a pure civilian in good (lawful) standing, is it possible to own a suppressor / silenced weapon? Thanks.

Hold, please, 5.56 will answer it to you for your question shortly, thank you. Next, please.

:mrgreen:

Anyway, yeah, but you gotta get Class III for that, I believe.

There's a separate tax stamp for silencers and it really depends on your state. It could be outlawed outright depending on where you live.

I live in Texas. What's a class III?

Is there a website that explains how all that works in Texas? I googled it but couldn't find anything very useful.

Class III is the licence that you legally own the illegal weapons, but the guys from ATF would love to knock your door without a warrant, unfortuanately.

Not if you're from one of the below:

1) A country of heavy Islamic influence or where Islam is the primary religion
2) A country that is not Canada
3) A non European country

So if I was a French Canadian of Moroccon descent who was recruited by Hizbollah prior to emigrating to the US but never got caught, I'd be safer than an outright Turkish-American who's from a 100% secular, NATO-member, EU-candidate, US-ally country and totally hates Arabs and have serious issues with their backward religion? :roll:

I guess, yeah. Baah. But I still want to believe in my constitutional rights. :drunkb:

That's right Lunatik.
You're talking to a guy of a country that has been a US ally for the past fifty years, has sent a LOT of combat troops to Vietnam, has sent many peace keepers to places where Americans are fighting (Gulf War I, Gulf War II, Afghanistan) and as an individual has tried to go to those places for whatever capacity possible and I get pulled out for a security check.
And you know why? Because I had an Indonesian visa. AN INDONESIAN VISA. Can you believe that??? Incredible.
As for the French Moroccan Canadian, the Moroccan part will shaft that individual.
When I was in the US, LEAVING for that matter, the Customs and Border Patrol agent went through my "reporting out of the country" visit pretty quick (in fact he thought the idea that the TSA guy decided to flag me as a "person of interest" was ridiculous) but they were pretty mean to that Moroccan lady for no reason. She was leaving. Her student visa was done, her work and study thing was also done and she was leaving.
Lunatik, people in the US have no idea about those things about Turkey. In fact, if anyone has even heard of Turkey other than the bird, they'd know it from "24" where in one of the seasons one of the terrorists was Turkish. "TURKISH??? TERRORIST!!! WHAT HE WANTS A SUPPRESSOR???? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH SEND IN DELTA FORCE!!!!!!!!!!"

"TURKISH??? TERRORIST!!! WHAT HE WANTS A SUPPRESSOR???? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH SEND IN DELTA FORCE!!!!!!!!!!"
Hahhaha! I know. There are probably like 70 flags already raised about me and I must be on the watch lists of quite a few 3-letter agencies. I shouldn't even be a member here, let alone start a topic about owning suppressed weapons. :)

BTW, an Indonesian visa? What happened to your Korean visa? You aren't ANSP 국가안전기획부, are you? 8)

Last edited:
I don't need a Korean visa I'm a Korean citizen. Duh.
Yes you probably do have a lot of flags.
- Turkish
- Probably a Muslim (even if you are a Christian, they will assume you are Muslim. Even if you are Jewish, they will assume that you are Muslim)
- On a military forum
- Has said posted the world "Islam" and "Muslim" a few times. (!!!!!!!)
- Apparently has an interest in obtaining a suppressor.
- Has found out what Class III is.
- Got any "Turkey" stamps on your Passport? FLAG!!!!
- Got receipts from an ethnic grocery store owned by a Muslim? FLAG!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised they haven't picked you up for "intensive questioning" already.

I'm surprised they haven't picked you up for "intensive questioning" already.
No but they definitely want to keep an eye on me. There's always a white van parked outside and every time I flush the toilet I see 4-5 listenning bugs spiral down the chithole, lol. They know that being relatively young and of course thanks to my many Middle Eastern and East European contacts, I have great potential as a double agent and until I'm comletely expired I can be used as a bridge to disinform/manipulate the enemy handlers or maybe even to recruit new assets here and there.

Hehhe.:whip:

I live in Texas. What's a class III?

Is there a website that explains how all that works in Texas? I googled it but couldn't find anything very useful.

You're good to go....

You can own NFA items in Texas, NFA stands for the National Firearms Act of 1934. The NFA covers the legal civilian ownership of Machine Guns, Short Barrels Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, and Suppressors.

Class III means that the dealer that sells them has a Florida Firearms License Class III. Which allows them to deal and sell NFA items.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

To own a Suppressor you need to fill out the required BATFE Paper Work, either have a Chief Law Enforcement Officer Sign off on it, do a Living Trust, or Incorporate. CLEO sign off it easy and so is a Living Trust. After that you send in all the paper work to BATFE along with $200 for the tax stamp. They review your paper work, run a background check, and cash your check. After that your paper work goes back to the dealer and you get a real stamp that is affixed to your paper work.

You must have the paper work the Suppressor where ever you take it.

It sounds like it's hard but it's not.

Last edited:
In my state suppressors are totally illegal. It's funny because 20 minutes away in Connecticut there's a little gun shop with suppressed select-fire MAC-11/9s for anyone with the proper permits. Now that would be one hell of a home defense gun.

I wouldn't want an auto or a suppressor, it's not worth allowing random searches. I happen to value privacy.

The real question is why do you want one? Use ear goggles if you want noise suppression. I cannot think of ANY reason why a civilian should be allowed a silencer/suppressor other than the single obvious one.

Silencers are excellent for hunting small game, you can often get more than one shot before the remainder of the targets in a given area wake up that something is not right, also you don't alert every other target for a mile around.

I often used one shooting rabbits. That is before the police made it impractical to own a firearm.

Back