Can China Allow Korea to Unite Peacefully? - Page 6

--

October 10th, 2004  
Airborne

Does anybody here want China and it's neighbor's to be antagonistic to one another throughout for the rest of all time? No. Does anybody here want China to be the political and econoic hegemon of Asia.... possibly just one.

Dude, I know some people feel like America has no bussiness in Asia, but we are a pacific rim country, with a very populas state out there in the middle of the oceas, and several little patriotic territories who really like being in the USA. In other wards.... we're neighbors right next door.

Ever heard of the Spartley's? You general might have a "fishing boat" down there.
October 17th, 2004  
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Well, according to Frog (he's from PRC), China would prolly be fine with it as long as there are not US troops there. The USA has no issue with a reunification as long as it is not controlled entirely by the current NK leadership.
matter of factly, china would benefit from the new stability brought to the region by a united korea
October 17th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

United Korea, preferably without a NK hostile takeover mind you. Everyone in the region stands to lose something if Kim comes crashing in and takes over the whole show. Economically speaking, NK are idiots compared to SK. SK's econ has been brilliantly developed.

One reason that China backs them is because they do not have many lackeys ... so to speak. There are not a great number of nations looking to China for leadership. China aspires to be the greatest nation on the planet, so NK is sortof an ego-rub.
--
October 17th, 2004  
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
United Korea, preferably without a NK hostile takeover mind you. Everyone in the region stands to lose something if Kim comes crashing in and takes over the whole show. Economically speaking, NK are idiots compared to SK. SK's econ has been brilliantly developed.

One reason that China backs them is because they do not have many lackeys ... so to speak. There are not a great number of nations looking to China for leadership. China aspires to be the greatest nation on the planet, so NK is sortof an ego-rub.
i was referring to a peaceful mutual reuniting of the south and north..
October 17th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Korea was Chinese traditional backyard, we don't want anyone to sleep there next door to us, very simple.

USA will stay in Korea for a while, but not too long, we are coming back soon or later

China sends more troops to N. Korea border

Straits Times | 14 oct
WASHINGTON - China has dispatched thousands of additional soldiers to its border region with North Korea, prompting an alert among intelligence officials in South Korea and the United States, says a diplomatic source here.

'Based on the US satellite photos and South Korea's human intelligence, the two countries concluded that China has recently deployed 10,000 elite troops to the North Korean border,' the source in Washington was quoted by South Korea's JoongAng Ilbo as saying yesterday.

Last Saturday, Japan's Sankei Shimbun newspaper also reported that China had sent 10,000 troops earlier this month to three border areas along the Tumen River, running between China and North Korea.

The Washington source said: 'China already has two divisions of troops guarding the border. Seoul and Washington are now analysing why China had to send another division of its best-trained troops to the area.'

China reportedly already has some 150,000 People's Liberation Army (PLA) troops stationed along its 1,400km border with North Korea, with which it signed a Border Cooperation Agreement in June.

In response, Beijing confirmed on Tuesday that it had deployed troops to the border, but denied media speculation that the move was aimed at stopping North Koreans from defecting or in protest against Pyongyang's continuing nuclear arms development.

In a related development, two North Korean refugees, including the wife of an economic official, were to fly to the US yesterday to seek political asylum, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said.

Ms Chang Sun Young, the wife of a senior state-run trading company official, and Mr Chung Sung Il, are to arrive in the US via Japan and Germany, Yonhap said.

Ms Chang has information regarding the family tree of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, it said.

The two would be the first North Koreans to apply for political asylum in the US after the US Senate approved a Bill last month pressuring North Korea to improve its human rights conditions.

http://www.chinastudygroup.org/index...e=view&id=7336
October 17th, 2004  
AsianAmerican

Ummm if those elite PLA are not there to stop the "defecting or in protest against Pyongyang's continuing nuclear arms development." I wonder what they are up too... Maybe gonna invade North Korea for us .
October 17th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

I hope N.Korea will start open-door policy and start reform at least in Economic aspects, then N.Korean people will be better off.

It is not funny to see so many N.Koreans ruch to foreign embassies in China, it is estimated about 200,000 N.Koreans living in China illegally, but hel, we have a large Korean community (some millions Koreans) living in Chinese Northern Provinces.

Refugees storm Beijing consulate

15 October, 2004
BBC

About 20 people claiming to be North Korean asylum seekers are reported to have entered the South Korean consulate in Beijing.
According to reports from Seoul, the group is said to have scaled a high wall to enter the compound, in an attempt to defect to South Korea.
China treats North Koreans as illegal immigrants and deports them home.

But increasing numbers have entered foreign embassies in recent years, hoping for a passage to South Korea.

South Korean YTN television showed the latest group of asylum seekers - some of whom are children - crawling under a barbed-wire fence before scaling the wall of the consulate.

Once they were inside the compound they reportedly shouted "We are North Koreans!" and "We want to go to South Korea!"

They are the latest in a string of North Korean groups to demand asylum in various embassies and consulates in China.

Last month 40 North Koreans stormed the Canadian embassy in Beijing, where they remain, and another 29 entered a Japanese consulate school.

More than 460 North Korean refugees were airlifted to South Korea in July from Vietnam, in an action which enraged Pyongyang.

But seeking asylum at foreign embassies in China remains a risky strategy for North Koreans, according to correspondents.

As Pyongyang's closest traditional ally, Beijing is loath to take any steps which might destabilise its neighbour or lead to waves of asylum seekers pouring over the border.

So China deports any North Koreans it catches back to their homeland.

It has also thrown heavy security around embassies to try to deter such asylum attempts.

But despite the risks, many North Koreans are still prepared to take the chance, and activists estimate that about 200,000 are currently hiding out in China.
October 17th, 2004  
Peanutcat

to the_13th_redneck, i dont think s.korea is an ally of japan,
they have the same problems just as china and japan do.
if there's no the common boss USA, they will fall out

no doubt, china wont permit it unless keeping them away from us ,

i think this issue doesnt only depend on china,
russia is another important factor
October 17th, 2004  
Peanutcat

[quote=Shadowalker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "FlyingFrog
The fact is USA is not GOING TO control Japan, but IS controlling japan.
[/quote

I think only a person living in japan or has lived there can tell us how much that is felt.
i am living in.
i think he is right,
japan is a good "bank" for us, also a good tactic position.
although many japanese are against us army's residence, how could they do
October 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

South Korea is an ally of Japan for all practical purposes. Says a South Korean (me) who knows a heck of a lot of others.
Ally doesn't mean "close buddies."
But when China played agianst Japan in the Asian Cup final, the Koreans generally supported Japan. Considering the history it makes you wonder why doesn't it?
Plus, China will only benefit from a unified Korea if that Korea isn't an ally of the US and Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutcat
to the_13th_redneck, i dont think s.korea is an ally of japan,
they have the same problems just as china and japan do.
if there's no the common boss USA, they will fall out

no doubt, china wont permit it unless keeping them away from us ,

i think this issue doesnt only depend on china,
russia is another important factor