Can China Allow Korea to Unite Peacefully?

whosewar2000 said:
Please, please, watch some news, or read some newspaper before you get some points...... :evil:

Whosewar2000, this is that advice that people are suggesting that you take to heart. If you actually knew anything about the United States, you would know that there is no danger of it splitting or falling appart. If you did a little research from non-biased/non-conspiracy theorist sites or media then you'd already know this.

Alright, everybody back on topic, the next off-topic post in this thread gets the poster an automatic one day ban.

godofthunder9010 said:
whosewar2000 said:
Please, please, watch some news, or read some newspaper before you get some points...... :evil:

Whosewar2000, this is that advice that people are suggesting that you take to heart. If you actually knew anything about the United States, you would know that there is no danger of it splitting or falling appart. If you did a little research from non-biased/non-conspiracy theorist sites or media then you'd already know this.

so, give me website lists I see what you are looking at everyday.

and you think cnn.com or nytimes.com latimes.com, sfgate.com are conspieracy websites? you shall tell them, that is big news for them ;)

I don't see why China would want to see North Korea still exist.

I mean, when they "won" the Korean war, it's like saying they won a trash can..... full of trash.

What's the reason for keeping it like that? The millions of refugees? A nuclear equiped nut as a neighbor?

A buffer between the US? Well if China is supposed to become a great power, then it shouldn't mind that.

I guess they'd just rather not wrestle with the whole thing with having American troops shaving the border. So yes, they want a buffer zone. just to be safe.

Plus actually North Korea's relations with China isn't all that rosey either. THe North Koreans scrapped the Chinese characters used in South Korea and Japan traditionally because they deemed it "un-Korean."

Who knows what's REALLY going on.

And my headache's gone! Seriously, I'm willing to put up with a certain degree of nonsense. He overshot the limit.

Back on topic, I don't understand why China needs a buffer zone. I think it is mostly just that China doesn't want the USA to have an influence there. China may see that as their role and their role only. I think China needs to relax a bit. If a united Korea, on the other side of real elections, were to request that the USA maintain a military presence, I don't see a problem with that. I don't think a reunified Korea would as for that anyways.

Plus actually North Korea's relations with China isn't all that rosey either. THe North Koreans scrapped the Chinese characters used in South Korea and Japan traditionally because they deemed it "un-Korean."

Who knows what's REALLY going on.

NK scrapped the Chinese characters completely I can understand why they did that, after being Chinese tributary for thousands years and being under cruel japanese colony rule for helf century, the Koreans finally wanted their national pride back, so they started to anything which can contribute to their national pride.

But who knows, the N.Koreans someday will have to re-learn their Chinese characters since their entire history is written in Chinese :lol:

And I bet this day is coming very soon, look at S.Koreans they are eager to learn Chinese now :D

A United Korea is no problem for Chinese, anyway in near future they may still become a sort Chinese province again :D

Also, a united korea with some 70 million men, still needs USA to protect them, I say that is very weak nation, and with large Americans troops stationed in Korea, there will be more crimes commited against Koreans, and that contributed much to the anti-American sentiment in nowadays S.Korea, and in history books of North Korea, they teach N.Korean kids how American troops rape/beat S.Korean people, that's why N.Korean people "hate" Americans and despise S.Koreans to let foreign troops station in their country.

This is why the South Koreans are eager to learn Chinese:
1) They already know the characters and to learn Chinese is a rather small step that can open up business advantages.
2) It's very hard to get into Korean universities and very expensive to go to American Universities. It might be too big of a step for them to go to a European University (culture shock and all) and so China is the next option. It's affordable, pretty competent etc and the language isn't as hard to pick up as the Indo-European languages.

Nothing to do with "awe." The second reason is actually the big one. I know two guys who went to Beijing because they didn't think they were good enough to go to a Korean university.
They weren't big fans of China. Just it was the best way to get their degree. But that alone tells how far China has come. But isn't a real reflection of Korean attitude towards China (though no doubt it'll improve it).

"A United Korea is no problem for Chinese, anyway in near future they may still become a sort Chinese province again :D"

This is the sort of revisionist history crap that really pisses me off. Korea was never a real "sort of Chinese province." It was a sort of Japanese province, it was a sort of Mongolian province but not a Chinese one. The vassal state agreements were made so that you guys would stop showing up to bother them all the time. Also because historically the scholar class of Korea were spineless, and d :cen: less.
There was a lot of power play extortion but never a real take over. But yeah this is why we hate you.

Also on that thing you say the North Koreans teach their kids... do you really take the words of those people to be legitimate?

Does anybody here want China and it's neighbor's to be antagonistic to one another throughout for the rest of all time? No. Does anybody here want China to be the political and econoic hegemon of Asia.... possibly just one.

Dude, I know some people feel like America has no bussiness in Asia, but we are a pacific rim country, with a very populas state out there in the middle of the oceas, and several little patriotic territories who really like being in the USA. In other wards.... we're neighbors right next door.

Ever heard of the Spartley's? You general might have a "fishing boat" down there.

godofthunder9010 said:
Well, according to Frog (he's from PRC), China would prolly be fine with it as long as there are not US troops there. The USA has no issue with a reunification as long as it is not controlled entirely by the current NK leadership.

matter of factly, china would benefit from the new stability brought to the region by a united korea

United Korea, preferably without a NK hostile takeover mind you. Everyone in the region stands to lose something if Kim comes crashing in and takes over the whole show. Economically speaking, NK are idiots compared to SK. SK's econ has been brilliantly developed.

One reason that China backs them is because they do not have many lackeys ... so to speak. There are not a great number of nations looking to China for leadership. China aspires to be the greatest nation on the planet, so NK is sortof an ego-rub.

godofthunder9010 said:
United Korea, preferably without a NK hostile takeover mind you. Everyone in the region stands to lose something if Kim comes crashing in and takes over the whole show. Economically speaking, NK are idiots compared to SK. SK's econ has been brilliantly developed.

One reason that China backs them is because they do not have many lackeys ... so to speak. There are not a great number of nations looking to China for leadership. China aspires to be the greatest nation on the planet, so NK is sortof an ego-rub.

i was referring to a peaceful mutual reuniting of the south and north..

Korea was Chinese traditional backyard, we don't want anyone to sleep there next door to us, very simple.

USA will stay in Korea for a while, but not too long, we are coming back soon or later :D

China sends more troops to N. Korea border

Straits Times | 14 oct
WASHINGTON - China has dispatched thousands of additional soldiers to its border region with North Korea, prompting an alert among intelligence officials in South Korea and the United States, says a diplomatic source here.

'Based on the US satellite photos and South Korea's human intelligence, the two countries concluded that China has recently deployed 10,000 elite troops to the North Korean border,' the source in Washington was quoted by South Korea's JoongAng Ilbo as saying yesterday.

Last Saturday, Japan's Sankei Shimbun newspaper also reported that China had sent 10,000 troops earlier this month to three border areas along the Tumen River, running between China and North Korea.

The Washington source said: 'China already has two divisions of troops guarding the border. Seoul and Washington are now analysing why China had to send another division of its best-trained troops to the area.'

China reportedly already has some 150,000 People's Liberation Army (PLA) troops stationed along its 1,400km border with North Korea, with which it signed a Border Cooperation Agreement in June.

In response, Beijing confirmed on Tuesday that it had deployed troops to the border, but denied media speculation that the move was aimed at stopping North Koreans from defecting or in protest against Pyongyang's continuing nuclear arms development.

In a related development, two North Korean refugees, including the wife of an economic official, were to fly to the US yesterday to seek political asylum, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said.

Ms Chang Sun Young, the wife of a senior state-run trading company official, and Mr Chung Sung Il, are to arrive in the US via Japan and Germany, Yonhap said.

Ms Chang has information regarding the family tree of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, it said.

The two would be the first North Koreans to apply for political asylum in the US after the US Senate approved a Bill last month pressuring North Korea to improve its human rights conditions.

http://www.chinastudygroup.org/index.php?action=news&type=view&id=7336

Ummm if those elite PLA are not there to stop the "defecting or in protest against Pyongyang's continuing nuclear arms development." I wonder what they are up too... Maybe gonna invade North Korea for us :lol: .

I hope N.Korea will start open-door policy and start reform at least in Economic aspects, then N.Korean people will be better off.

It is not funny to see so many N.Koreans ruch to foreign embassies in China, it is estimated about 200,000 N.Koreans living in China illegally, but hel, we have a large Korean community (some millions Koreans) living in Chinese Northern Provinces.

Refugees storm Beijing consulate

15 October, 2004
BBC

About 20 people claiming to be North Korean asylum seekers are reported to have entered the South Korean consulate in Beijing.
According to reports from Seoul, the group is said to have scaled a high wall to enter the compound, in an attempt to defect to South Korea.
China treats North Koreans as illegal immigrants and deports them home.

But increasing numbers have entered foreign embassies in recent years, hoping for a passage to South Korea.

South Korean YTN television showed the latest group of asylum seekers - some of whom are children - crawling under a barbed-wire fence before scaling the wall of the consulate.

Once they were inside the compound they reportedly shouted "We are North Koreans!" and "We want to go to South Korea!"

They are the latest in a string of North Korean groups to demand asylum in various embassies and consulates in China.

Last month 40 North Koreans stormed the Canadian embassy in Beijing, where they remain, and another 29 entered a Japanese consulate school.

More than 460 North Korean refugees were airlifted to South Korea in July from Vietnam, in an action which enraged Pyongyang.

But seeking asylum at foreign embassies in China remains a risky strategy for North Koreans, according to correspondents.

As Pyongyang's closest traditional ally, Beijing is loath to take any steps which might destabilise its neighbour or lead to waves of asylum seekers pouring over the border.

So China deports any North Koreans it catches back to their homeland.

It has also thrown heavy security around embassies to try to deter such asylum attempts.

But despite the risks, many North Koreans are still prepared to take the chance, and activists estimate that about 200,000 are currently hiding out in China.

to the_13th_redneck, i dont think s.korea is an ally of japan,
they have the same problems just as china and japan do.
if there's no the common boss USA, they will fall out

no doubt, china wont permit it unless keeping them away from us ,

i think this issue doesnt only depend on china,
russia is another important factor

Shadowalker said:
[quote="FlyingFrog
The fact is USA is not GOING TO control Japan, but IS controlling japan.

I think only a person living in japan or has lived there can tell us how much that is felt.[/quote]

i am living in.
i think he is right,
japan is a good "bank" for us, also a good tactic position.
although many japanese are against us army's residence, how could they do

South Korea is an ally of Japan for all practical purposes. Says a South Korean (me) who knows a heck of a lot of others.
Ally doesn't mean "close buddies."
But when China played agianst Japan in the Asian Cup final, the Koreans generally supported Japan. Considering the history it makes you wonder why doesn't it?
Plus, China will only benefit from a unified Korea if that Korea isn't an ally of the US and Japan.

Peanutcat said:
to the_13th_redneck, i dont think s.korea is an ally of japan,
they have the same problems just as china and japan do.
if there's no the common boss USA, they will fall out

no doubt, china wont permit it unless keeping them away from us ,

i think this issue doesnt only depend on china,
russia is another important factor

Back