Can anyone help me with this medal?

ivrngal

I just finished going through the inlaws' estate. I found a medal that looks like a German "iron cross". Would anyone be able to help me identify it? It is in its original case and has what I think says, "Bur Grinnerung an Deutschlands grope Beil" on the inside grey padded lid. The medal has silver edges with a raised crown on the top of the cross, 1914 on the bottom cross and a W in the center. On the other side there is also a crown at the top, the letters FW under it, an oakleaf in the center and 1813 on the bottom. There is also a black ribbon with white edges folded in the box. Thanks for any help/leads you can give me.

I would think that it says:

Zur Erinnerung an Deutschlands große Beil (In memory of Germany's great hatchet)

Yes, A picture would help.

I would think that it says:

Zur Erinnerung an Deutschlands große Beil (In memory of Germany's great hatchet)

Yes, A picture would help.

One thing that intrigues me here is why people continually misspell Zur Erinnerung as Bur Grinnerung, I have looked at a large number of these items and I am not sure how people can confuse the spellings.

Perhaps the English B and Gothic Z do look similar?

Oh and I agree with the others a picture would make for easier identification but it sounds like an Iron Cross 2nd Class.

Last edited:
Back