Cameron: "Iron Lady" Thatcher made Britain great again

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
By Estelle Shirbon and Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister David Cameron led tributes to Margaret Thatcher on Wednesday, remembering a divisive and combative leader who transformed the country and set a political course still followed today. In a special session of parliament, Cameron said his fellow Conservative "defined and overcame the great challenges of her age" after a remarkable journey from the family grocer's shop to the highest office in the land. ...

More...

Yep she transformed Britain, she closed down coal mines with 200 to 300 years of coal usage left, once they are closed they can never be reopened, heavy industry gone, transport services privatised where profits for share holders is more important then reinvestment.

London Transport's bus services was one of the finest in the world, now its a shadow of its former self.

Yep she transformed Britain, normal law abiding people took to the streets and rioted over her grossly unfair Poll Tax, even her own party turned against her. She thought she was another Winston Churchill, she was nothing like Churchill, she was more like Lady Astor.

^^^ I'm with him^^^

She seemed to think that the wealthy should be the only people entitled to earn a decent living.

She never really forgave the world for having been born a "Commoner"

A lot of working mens clubs in the UK are holding parties celebrating her popping her clogs. The song from the Wizard of Oz "The Wicked witch is dead," is quite popular at the moment. One ex miner stated, "She's only been in hell 20 minutes and she's already closed down 20 furnaces."

I once sat on a transatlantic flight next to a former English coal miner who went on for 7 hours (the entire flight) how much Thatcher had wrecked the UK. He got so worked up, his wife had to calm him down.

I don't think I had ever seen anyone loath a politician as much as that gentlemen.

She destroyed a lot of lives mmarsh as well as industry as previously mentioned and a lot more besides. A lot of area's were transformed from a profitable industrial base into a wasteland of unemployed working men and closed factories.

When she closed down the coal mines, vengeance played a huge part in her thinking, as the miners had brought down the Edward Heath government.

Believe me there are millions of people in UK who think exactly like that ex miner on your flight.

Back