Callsigns

hawky94

The Brit Pack (probationer)
Hello everyone! I'm confused.

Military callsigns for Special Forces soldiers over the radio is something that I struggle with when I'm writing.

Communications between ground troops, and from ground troops to aircraft, aircraft to ground, and ground/aircraft to command post, etc. What's the SOP in each of these instances?

Are words used? Names? I know that Rank is NEVER used over the waves. What about numbers? "Delta-six-Echo" for example...

My novel includes British and American military personnel, so I'd like the British and American SOPs when it comes to communication.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Hawky.

In the US Military Call Signs are assigned by SIO by date and time frame in some cases. Assigned call signs are usually along the lines of B7E then broken down by person, so the C.O. of Bravo Seven Echo would be B7E 6 or Actual, The X.O. B7E 5 down the line.

They are further broken down into elements 2nd Plt might be B7E 2 as a Plt with the P.C. being B7E-2 Actual or on the company tac Echo Two Actual.

Some units use internal callsigns on the Company tac such as Saber which would make the Company CO Saber Actual, a Plt commander might be Saber 1 actual for first plt, a squad leader in 1st plt might be Saber 1-2 actual (1st Plt 2nd Squad) etc.

For the Army "actual" denotes that you are in direct communication with the actual person.

I.E. "Six Actual" means the actual person in charge, and not a Radio Operator in the Unit speaking for the person in charge.

For the Army "actual" denotes that you are in direct communication with the actual person.

I.E. "Six Actual" means the actual person in charge, and not a Radio Operator in the Unit speaking for the person in charge.

Yeah I probably could have explained that better.

I had you 5 x 5.

Just clearing it up for the non-military folks who may happen to stumble across this post.

Been making a few avatars for the forum. Colored to match the site.

picture1937.jpg

I put them in my profile pic folder if anyone wants to use them.
Ran out of space, so until I get more or find out where to park the ones I have so far I'll just hold off on putting more in.

Last edited:
UKSF use, as a general rule, the exact same call signs as the regular armed forces so they can communicate with each other in conjunction without getting confused. What they are and what the SOP is, I do consider that as sensitive information not be disclosed in an open forum.

There is no fixed call signs for UKSF on missions. They can easily change every day for a unit in action. Just make up a call sign but don´t choose one that gives associations to a SF Mission. As long as you use an easier to say name with 2 numbers people will buy it. Like: Bravo Two Zero :wink:

Back