Calling Europeans - Euro 2008 soccer kicks off tomorrow

Del Boy

Euro 2008 international soccer tournament kicks off tomorrow. England don't qualify this time.

C'mon you Europeans - anyone fancy their team or want to get behind another country.

I'm going for Portugal. They have Ronaldo, probably the world's best player currently.

Should he join Real Madrid for the $600,000 a WEEK they've offered him, reportedly? Or will he stay with Manchester United, arguably the world's best team?

Hard luck TOG - Germany 2 Poland 0. But they played very well and they ain't out of it yet.

Czech Rep 1 Switzerland 0. Portugal 2 Turkey 0. Croatia 1 Austria 0.

Last edited:
Russia real unlucky against Spain so far... it's 2-0 at half time.
Holland vs Italy.. hahaha that was a good game.
Unlucky Austria against Croatia. The reactions of the Croatians at the end of the match was golden, they just fell on the floor out of exhaustion.

Yeah. Spain - Russia 4-1 , Holland 3 - Italy 0. These were both very good games with top performances. Puts Holland and Russia in fav. positions at the moment I reckon. Holland played the beautiful game, reminds me of ther great days (Johan Cryff) of 'total' football. One of their goals will be long remembered. Wish we were there - I think it's going to be a good 'un.

Last edited:
It's a shame the UK is not present... really i mean it ^^ they always play with heart.

Of course Germany will win, until now they played the best game besides the netherlands :)

Well - Germany have a big following here - respect. Yes they did play well - so did Spain today. Here's a funny thing. Last Saturday, the day the tournament kicked off, I was at a football function with (Sir) Geoff Hurst - the striker who scored a hat-trick to beat Germany in the 1966 world cup final; the only hat-trick ever scored in that event. He is backing Germany to win and he jokes that they play football like us but without the humour!:smile:

Latest result Sweden 2 Greece(holders) 0.

Well - Germany have a big following here - respect. Yes they did play well - so did Spain today. Here's a funny thing. Last Saturday, the day the tournament kicked off, I was at a football function with (Sir) Geoff Hurst - the striker who scored a hat-trick to beat Germany in the 1966 world cup final; the only hat-trick ever scored in that event. He is backing Germany to win and he jokes that they play football like us but without the humour!:smile:

And without the violence (hooligans and stuff...) ;)

Glad to hear you have no hooligans. In England we do not see much of them now at home. We have good leagues, good football, and generally good supporters. And no politically inspired hooligans I am pleased to say.

Well I am supporting the lackluster France. Though I am still pissed that England failed to qualify.

Hi MM - France will have to lift their game - but we know they can do that. This tournament looks so good, we have already had one or two memorable games that have the real football men purring here( yes, that includes me). That bodes very well for the raising of the game next season. I can't wait for today's Portugal - Czech Rep game. I was at The Emirates stadium (Arsenal -Boo) a couple of weeks ago (one of my grandsons was playing there for them in the close season) and the great striker Eduardo was there hobbling on crutches from his horrendous injury. He should instead be in Europe with Croatia - and boy, did they miss him this week! It may make all the difference to their progress or not.

Football heaven - even tho' my team are not there - mind you, so many of the great players are familiar to me, playing as they do in the Premiership here.

BTW - I did not boo Arsenal because they are France in disguise. No, not at all - it is only because it is traditional between Arsenal and my club. The most important date of each season is when we play them!

Incidently - we have only ourselves to blame for not making it- we shot ourselves in the foot by appointing a buffoon to lead the effort. Some fans think going out was worth the sacrifice if it got rid of him before more damage was done. Capello looks good now, although, you know, we do have a number of good home candidates. I like Capello.

Last edited:
Countries I'm backing... Austria, Romania, Russia and Turkey. So it might be a short tournament for me.

1) Russia - Hiddink
2) Austria - Used to kind of live there
3) Turkey - We always support each other
4) Romania - Lived there a real real short while.

Euro 2004... that penalty shootout between England and Portugal really was something.

Last edited:
That's the great thing about being a 'neutral', ain't it? You can actually enjoy yourself and the football, as against willing your own team over the winning line throughout the tournament! And it's good to have all sorts of reasons for picking your teams. After all, Greece won it last time, and won it well.

Latest score- Portugal 3 - Czech Rep 1. Another very good close game -could have gone 2-2 until the closing minutes. Well played Czech Rep. Portugal deserved their win for some great football and the real deal-scoring goals!

The plot thickens.:rockin: Redneck - England are champions at losing penalty shootouts! European Championhips - World Cups - ask the Germans!

Last edited:
And Aston Villa players tend to be the stars of those shows.

Swiss vs Turkey. The ELIMINATOR!
If they don't draw that is.
Turkey looking the vastly superior side so far.

Added:
Just watched the match. What a game!
Switzerland are out.

Last edited:
Damn they faught hard but they didn't make the 1-3 goal...

Germany is so strong in shoot out because we now how to hit the goal and our keepers rock man ;)

Damn they faught hard but they didn't make the 1-3 goal...

Germany is so strong in shoot out because we now how to hit the goal and our keepers rock man ;)

And don't we know it - it's the will-power you know. And I know your keeper only too well! He's big and bad-tempered and has long been a star here with Arsenal (Boo) my team's closest and most implacable opponents.:cheers:

Redneck - Your other teams are still in there kicking.

I really wish that Bulgaria had made it there, so that you guys could have got a look at Berbatov - he's a relevation, pure class in every move. The very top clubs are chasing him so where he will end up next season, who knows. But if ever you get a chance take a moment to see him perform - beautiful, beautiful!

Last edited:
I guess that's right. They could have ast least put them in the ring and let them sort it out. That would be something. Who would you back?

Hey, that reminds me, my uncle, who trained me in his gym when I was a kid, in his youth came to Germany and fought Max Schmelling! How about that?

Off topic - your signature I relate to; honour and loyalty, the two greatest attributes, that I brought my boys and girls up to adhere to. And now my grandchildren. Great to see it up there.

Last edited:
Back