Calling Europeans - Euro 2008 soccer kicks off tomorrow

Agreed - I have to say that the best team won tonight. I hope they can maintain that level. Another terrific game.

And now, Redneck has TWO teams through, Turkey and Russia! Will they meet in the final :roll:?

I've always hated when that happens. My 2 Favorite teams in the final... makes it too hard to decide who to root for. Better it be someone I love vs. someone I don't.

And now, Redneck has TWO teams through, Turkey and Russia! Will they meet in the final :roll:?

Certainly not,
Germany will enter finals... otherwise my superiors would not have adjourned the practice for the Promotion-appeal (minister of defense will be there)
and my superior officer (lt-colonel) ordered last game to be a 3-2 win for Germany... and it was... wonder what he'll order against turky ^^

Redneck -

I have to agree - but will Turkey know when they are beaten and lay down?

Re. Futsal - it is not established in a big way here yet. I have a question for you. We have big city multi racial youth problems here, as you will have spotterd. I grew up in the tough end of London and was part of the boys' clubs culture. Brilliant -the most influential thing for me.

Do you think that widespread competitive Futsal could help our youngsters in this respect?

Not a great game, but Italy lost in a penalty shootout, 4-2. So I am happy. Now I dont at all care who wins. Might be nice to have a new team, perhaps Spain.

So the Quarterfinals will be Germany vs Turkey and Spain vs Russia.

BTW since when were Russia and Turkey part of Europe? My in-laws were joking this weekend that Turkey in the Quarterfinals was a attempt by certain European countries to sneak them in as a new EU member which of course France and a few other countries are against.

My prediction: Germany and Russia in which Germany wins in the Final. It will be close as both teams are playing well but the Germans will have a homefield advantage. Still a Russian upset is not impossible, same for Turkey.

Redneck -

I have to agree - but will Turkey know when they are beaten and lay down?

Re. Futsal - it is not established in a big way here yet. I have a question for you. We have big city multi racial youth problems here, as you will have spotterd. I grew up in the tough end of London and was part of the boys' clubs culture. Brilliant -the most influential thing for me.

Do you think that widespread competitive Futsal could help our youngsters in this respect?

I think making kids sweat out their frustrations with sports or whatnot would be a great way to keep them out of trouble. It's like how a dog that isn't walked will cause all kinds of mayhem, even if it's a nice dog.

I am also happy that Spain beat Italy. No more whining and conspiracy theories in this tournament anymore.
Spain vs Russia... anything is possible. I wonder though if Russia's players will recover fully from playing the extra thirty minutes.
Germany vs Turkey... CIVIL WAR!!! Considering the Turkish population in Germany. A few businesses will have to replace windows and chairs. I only see Germany winning this one as Turkey have a depleted side.

Last edited:
True, Nihat has already left because of an injury. 4 Players cannot play due to the yellow card and 3 are not fit to go yet...

I would really forget myself if we don't beat Turky but in any case we'll have a civil war here in Hamburg (not to mention Berlin and Cologn)

Yep - it has been a really good tournament, in my opinion, and is looking tastier than ever after last night's result. Still can't wait for the next encounter. Cup lifters? If Russia play as they did in their last match I fancy them, but of course you can never write off Germany. I'll take Russia - happy to be neutral!

I think the Turks will be happy with the progress they made so far. Semi Finalists in 2002 and again in 2008... it's admirable.

Due to the question that came up: 3% of Turky are within Europe, and Russia also has some Part in Europe with some Big cities...
Turky is two times the size of Germany but only half the population ;)

Politics aside, I am glad teams like Turkey and Russia are in the semis. It gets boring to see the same times over and over again in the finals. With the exception of Germany, all of the teams in the Semis have never won a major UEFA tournament.

I agree as well. It's good to see a different team go ahead and do well.
Last Euro's Greece triumph was well worth watching.

it comes all down to the old slogan:
"A football game is simple: A round ball, 11 players per side and in the end Germany wins" ;)

Back