Calling Europeans - Euro 2008 soccer kicks off tomorrow

"Chok'em".... he has started some Soccer camps here in the states, but I think that his lack of success here in the US has hampered our efforts to popularize soccer to the level of European soccer. When you have 17.1 million Spainards watching this game, you would never get that for an MLS game.

Funny that we seem to have no Spanish input here on the boards in the face of Spain's victory. I wonder this is, any ideas?

As far as the development of the game is concerned, its world popularity will prove to much to resist, particularly with South American and immigration input. Just wait until America wins the world cup. Just an opinion.

Last edited:
I was away taking part in Marine reserve training so I was unable to keep up with it.
What's odd is that David Villa did not play in the final. Does anyone know the reason for this??

"Chok'em".... he has started some Soccer camps here in the states, but I think that his lack of success here in the US has hampered our efforts to popularize soccer to the level of European soccer. When you have 17.1 million Spainards watching this game, you would never get that for an MLS game.

Thats going to change, it will take a decade or 3, but already soccer is the most played team sport in America, its played more than baseball or basketball.

Also we have youngsters who recently emigrated from foreign countries players like Freddie Adu (originally from Ghana) who will popularize the sport.

I think the USA will be a soccer powerhouse within our lifetime. Remember we made it into the semis in 2002? We lost to Germany in a game we could have won.

Actually the US made it to the quarter finals in 2002 but I agree that the US will field some pretty good teams in the coming years.

MM. - I agree with you, my friend!

Also, as soccer fans outside USA, we would not turn a hair at the report of 17,000,000 Spanish watching a big game like Euro 2008 final. Such a figure is small fry here for a big game, ain't it. That would do for London.

And it will be great to welcome the Americans with all they can bring to the table.

Last edited:
Hi TOG, Well first of all, I can't find the article on your link. 2nd, I have seen a note of this in our papers, but no details, so I can't comment yet. Except to say that our fans are quite good usually, but if they are attacked abroad (not in US I'm sure) they will fight and also that West Ham are not really relevant in this context; nothing to get het up about; not used to travelling abroad for big games. You have to think Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, and the one and only Tottenham Hotspur.

Quite honestly, we no longer get much in the way of crowd trouble here, so I do not know what went on in this case. I would never have expected it to happen in US or envisage any reason why it would erupt. Those fans would probably have been pleased and excited to be there; big holiday for them.

Hi TOG, Well first of all, I can't find the article on your link.

Quite honestly, we no longer get much in the way of crowd trouble here, so I do not know what went on in this case. I would never have expected it to happen in US or envisage any reason why it would erupt. Those fans would probably have been pleased and excited to be there; big holiday for them.
I'll copy/paste it with quote tags.

The fans may have been pleased, excited, and celebrating by getting hammered...

I will say that there's not much reason for anyone to go to soccer games here in Columbus. After the game the nearest bar is 20-30 minutes away, and the only things within walking distance are a fairground that's empty 11 months out of the year, a historical society building that closes at 5PM, and a hardware store. :roll: Attracts fans in droves.

The article:
An official of the West Ham soccer club today condemned the actions of fans involved in a brawl yesterday at the Columbus Crew match, but said the trip to
Columbus was a positive one for the British club.
West Ham chief executive Scott Duxbury said the club was satisfied that "this was an isolated incident."
The incident, which began when about a dozen West Ham fans entered the Crew supporters section in the stadium’s northeast corner, ended when Columbus police made one arrest on the stadium concourse and helped security staff defuse the situation. No injuries were reported.
“While we take such matters seriously and utterly condemn the actions of those involved, we must not let this mar what has been a positive trip so far and the excellent way we and our supporters have been treated in Columbus," Duxbury said.
Crew general manager Mark McCullers would not comment on the matter today.
“It’s been our policy since the stadum opened that security matters are not going to be part of the public domain,” McCullers said. “It contradicts our ability to execute security plans, so we’ve got to stick with that.”
West Ham United beat the Columbus Crew 3-1.

Earlier story:
From the southeastern corner of Crew Stadium came the West Ham United chants: "East! East! East Lon-don!"
From the northeastern came the answer: "Co-lum-bus! Co-lum-bus!"
Yesterday's war of words turned physical at halftime of the Crew's exhibition match against West Ham, when a handful of West Ham fans ventured into the heart of the Crew's supporters section.
A scuffle broke out and stadium security quickly pulled the West Ham interlopers to the stadium concourse. The next few minutes were frantic.
While the West Ham fans were removed to a stair landing on the back side of the stadium, supporters of both teams gathered on the concourse. Several punches were thrown and one West Ham fan was thrown to the ground by security and handcuffed by police, who used pepper spray or mace to help break up the melee.
Police couldn't confirm the number of arrests and Crew vice president of operations Scott DeBolt said he would have no details "until I get a report, which might not be till (today)."
More fans were seen handcuffed in the parking lots after the game.
Shortly after halftime, West Ham fans unfurled a banner in the stadium's south end that read "ICF, 30 Years Undefeated."
The Inter City Firm, or ICF, is one of the most notorious hooligan groups in England.
Peter Witham, a fan of the English team Arsenal, said he was on his way to the restroom when he got hit with chemical irritant used by police.
"I've never experienced anything like that in my life and I've been going to English Premier League games for forever," he said.
One of the fans who entered the Crew's supporters section was not ejected despite being detained by security for several minutes.
"We just went over for some tea and crumpets and (the Crew fans) got mad," said the man, who identified himself as Dave Simpson from London.

Thanks for the info TOG. I will find time to come back to it soon, with an exhilerating response that will warm the cockles of your heart!

I always like to tell you something you don't know 'cos' then you'll know it. I like to share, you understand.
I'm working on it - brace yourself folks!:type:

Back