Call Me Mister

tetvet

Banned
When I went to Vietnam I had nine months to Discharge during the interim I flew a hundred missions shot down twice and all the other good stuff that went with it , I started to get short real short I began to wonder when I was going to get orders to go home , I went over to battalion to find out what was going on the first person I ran into was the fat ass Sgt. Major he jumped on me about my uniform my sleeves not rolled up above my elbow pockets not buttoned ect , I told him I didn't come over here to talk about uniforms , he asked me why did I come here I said in eight days from tomorrow you can call me Mister my time is up in seven days discharge not separation he went over and talked to one of the clerks sure enough I had seven days left , my orders were ready the next morning and I flew down to the repo depot and home , the rest is history .:-D

When I went to Vietnam I had nine months to Discharge during the interim I flew a hundred missions shot down twice and all the other good stuff that went with it , I started to get short real short I began to wonder when I was going to get orders to go home , I went over to battalion to find out what was going on the first person I ran into was the fat ass Sgt. Major he jumped on me about my uniform my sleeves not rolled up above my elbow pockets not buttoned ect , I told him I didn't come over here to talk about uniforms , he asked me why did I come here I said in eight days from tomorrow you can call me Mister my time is up in seven days discharge not separation he went over and talked to one of the clerks sure enough I had seven days left , my orders were ready the next morning and I flew down to the repo depot and home , the rest is history .:-D

Dear Tetvet,
We don't have to agree on subjects...
But I do respect you and hold you in high regard.

Dadsgirl

If I read your post correctly you only had 9 months left in service when they sent you to 'Nam. Is that right?

9 months and 11 days to be exacta to discharge not to separation not to end of tour , time up , I often wonder what would have taken place if it went to 8 days , would I have been a Mister .

I was just curious about the circumstances concerning your arrival in country without enough time to complete a full tour.
I was stationed at Fort Lewis with less than 10 months left on my enlistment when I received orders for 'Nam. As I wasn't happy with stateside duty I was more than willing to waive my "Conus Rights" and started packing my bags. Not only would I get out of a bad situation I would be a short-timer when I arrived in country.
Unfortunately during processing it was finally noticed that I didn't have enough time left on my enlistment to complete a full tour. I was informed that I would need to sign an extension for a further 4 months in order to go. I wasn't that desperate to leave Fort Lewis, so I refused and ended up surviving that last 9+ months at Fort Lewis.

Last edited:
Can't say about it other than it was known that I had less time to go than a full ta four in fact there was a couple of us one had seven months to go but he was a flight engineer and there was a serious shortage of them , I was a door gunner no shortage of them except during tet when we lost a full 20% of our air crews .

Back