C-4

C, C2 and C3 had different contents of cyclotrimethylene trinitramine (RDX, a ring molecule that decomposes at 170 degrees centigrade and is fabricated through a reaction chain of (CH2)6N4 + 4HNO3 → (CH2-N-NO2)3 + 3HCHO + NH4+ + NO3), C4 contains around 90+% and almost no TNT

Rattler

Last edited:
There are plastificators in it, it is basically the same as the UK PE-4, just the plastificators are different.

1.3 times the explosive power of TNT

Rattler

C-4 stands for, Composition 4. it was the Fourth in a series of similar explosive mixtures adapted from the British standard plastic explosive used in WWII. Comprising of 88.3% RDX, 11.1% oily plasticiser and 0.6% Lecithin. the plasticiser contains mononitrotoluene, liquid dinitrotoluene, TNT,nitrocellulose and dimethylformamide.

C-4 has undergone several changes at various times to overcome brittleness at extreme low temperatures but it is basically the same mix in varying proportions down to 80% RDX + Plasticiser.

It is not "Cheap" in any sense of the word.

Source: Department of the Army and Air Force Technical Manual 9-1910 Order 11A-1-34

Last edited:
Really? Used in WW2? I thought it's first war would've been like 'Nam or something. What I meant by cheap is doesn't cost too much. Correct me if I'm wrong. The piece of plastic isn't a joke.

While "shredding enemies" might be an occaisional use of explosives, C4 and similar stuff is used primarily as demolitions-like blowing trees, obstacles, bridges breaching and similar applications.
Claymore mines had C4 as a propellant, but I believe kinder gentler days may have rendered them un-PC.

I'm sure today we have improved and more effective explosives.

Semtex is better. More bang per pound! Why dont western military use it ?

I believe some still use it, but there are better things around then Semtex now. :smil:

If I don't remember wrong Semtex has a detonation/explosive velocity of around +7.000m/s in unconfined space.
C4 has around 8.000-8.400m/s, depending on the mixture (there are a few almost identical explosives to C4 just with different names).
And here in Norway and a few other western countries HMX plastic explosive is pretty common for military use, with a velocity over 9.000m/s it's a pretty nice "toy" for demolition work. :cool:

ah c-4, the lovable explosive that if used correctly can be controlled enough to breach a door and deadly enough to level a building. <3

Whatever happened to tactical nukes? If you're gonna do it, ya might as well make sure there aren't any witnesses!

ah c-4, the lovable explosive that if used correctly can be controlled enough to breach a door and deadly enough to level a building. <3
did you forget heating chow and water........ every woodsman who hunts should have a block or two.........:wink:

Semtex is better. More bang per pound! Why dont western military use it ?
can you use it for heating water? LRP (LURPS) rations are ugly if you don't have hot water - the *Chili* is ugly regardless of how you prepare it... it is best droped behind to let the enemy find it......... kills em off like rats, must be banned by the GConv as inhumane.

Back