Bush's farwell present from the Iraqi people

perseus

Well it looks like the Iraqi people have given their final opinion on the occupation and President Bush’s foreign policy, as if he didn't know already

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M8GOrc0-Ygg

Of course this is partially symbolic, the soles of shoes are considered the ultimate insult in Arab culture. The irony is that Iraq is going through a period of relative stability whilst the militias are being paid to keep the peace. However, once the American’s leave and the money dries up the factions will start fighting again and Iraq will descend into anarchy.

Meanwhile the US media has just published details of a US government report saying that post invasion reconstruction of Iraq was crippled by bureaucratic turf wars and an ignorance of the basic elements of Iraqi society. It reveals details of a reconstruction effort that cost more than $100bn (£67bn) and only succeeded in restoring what was destroyed in the invasion and the widespread looting that followed it.

We had a student council president get booed by thousands of students when he tried to tell a bad joke on stage. Thought that was bad enough.

i think this iraqi person gave bush what he really deserves.this iraqi person is courageous and wonderfull.bless him:)

That guy was just rude and most likely a Bathist. I doubt he was representative of the majority of Iraqi people in any way. You call that courageous and wonderful? Please, get real blackeagle.

I saw this and started laughing. If you see his face he's laughing most of the time. "Who throws a shoe! Honestly you fight like a woman!" -Austin Powers
But I was wondering, shouldn't Secret Service have tackled him once he threw the first one.

I'm sure a few will be facing the axe.
As for the reporter... inappropriate? Yes. Rude? Yes. Requires a wheel barrow to drag his nuts around? YES.

Goerge W. was very impressive in dealing with the two powerful shots; he can bob and weave fine; if it had been a punch he was ready to fire back.:cool:

That guy was just rude and most likely a Bathist. I doubt he was representative of the majority of Iraqi people in any way. You call that courageous and wonderful? Please, get real blackeagle.

Ah, but thats because you are looking at it from a western standpoint. What you consider rude is actually a very common Arab custom.

Throwing a shoe at someone's head is the highest form of insult in the Middle East. Its done to express extreme anger or distress. Rather than verbally criticize Bush as they do in the West they prefer let their flying footwear do the talking.

Frankly I think every future American president should take note at this incident, as there is a lesson here in the silverlining, as was once famously said:

"As ye sow, show shall ye reap". (Queenie to Dutch Scultz)

You cant expect alot of sympathy around the globe when you spent your entire administration taking a giant s*** all over it, and the Arabs in particular seem particularly pissed off.

Goerge W. was very impressive in dealing with the two powerful shots; he can bob and weave fine; if it had been a punch he was ready to fire back.:cool:

That's what struck me, pardon the pun, most - was Prez W's agility and elasticity, especially for an old man. Very impressive duck and weave executed with a slight grin.

There's a position for him post 20 January 2009, if they ever decide to make The Matrix 4.

:cowb:

yes i call him wonderful,not because he tried to harm bush but rather it was a massage to his hurroble policy for 8 years.

You cant expect alot of sympathy around the globe when you spent your entire administration taking a giant s*** all over it, and the Arabs in particular seem particularly pissed off.

As I recall, the Arabs took a huge dunk themselves on New York in February 1993, looooooooooong before W became President.

And another on the USS Cole in October 2000, looooooooooooooooong before W became President.

That's what struck me, pardon the pun, most - was Prez W's agility and elasticity, especially for an old man. Very impressive duck and weave executed with a slight grin.

There's a position for him post 20 January 2009, if they ever decide to make The Matrix 4.

:cowb:

Yeah, just a slight roll to let it slide past. Smooth. Never once, since 9/11, has he failed to stand strong, or taken a backward step.

As I recall, the Arabs took a huge dunk themselves on New York in February 1993, looooooooooong before W became President.

And another on the USS Cole in October 2000, looooooooooooooooong before W became President.

First of all, Lets not confuse ordinary Arabs (like these people) and actual terrorists who murder people shall we? Not even remotely in the same ballpark. Not all Arabs are Muslims for one. And two, the Catholic church has been hijacked itself by extremists several times throughout history we dont blame all Europeans for it do we?

Secondly, I never said W started the fire, but you don't put out a fire by pouring gasoline on it do you? Bush dumped an entire oil tanker on this one. If you read through the entire history of the Middle East their is one inescapable truth: The Arabs do not react well to invading armies on their land, and no invader has been able to occupy it easily or for very long.

mmarsh said:
Secondly, I never said W started the fire, but you don't put out a fire by pouring gasoline on it do you? Bush dumped an entire oil tanker on this one. If you read through the entire history of the Middle East their is one inescapable truth: The Arabs do not react well to invading armies on their land, and no invader has been able to occupy it easily or for very long.

I doubt most people would react to invasion well... And does that argument exempt the United States from being "allowed" to get mad because we got attacked?

No that's because no matter how you look at it, that was a rude action. It was meant to be rude. Who's seeking sympathy from the likes of that fool?
I wouldn't be so arrogant as to advise any future about anything never mind taking anything away from this insignificant incident by an equally insignificant little man throwing his stinking shoes at a world leader. If I wanted to insult someone I'd do it in a manner that they clearly understood.
BTW, I'd never expect it to happen but, it would have been hilarious if Bush threw his own shoes back at the fool.:-D

Ah, but thats because you are looking at it from a western standpoint. What you consider rude is actually a very common Arab custom.

Throwing a shoe at someone's head is the highest form of insult in the Middle East. Its done to express extreme anger or distress. Rather than verbally criticize Bush as they do in the West they prefer let their flying footwear do the talking.

Frankly I think every future American president should take note at this incident, as there is a lesson here in the silverlining, as was once famously said:

"As ye sow, show shall ye reap". (Queenie to Dutch Scultz)

DTop, I bet Nikita Khruschev, God Bless him, would have thrown his shoes - and his socks - back.

Krushchev-boot.jpg

Last edited:
Back