Bush's farwell present from the Iraqi people

BTW, I'd never expect it to happen but, it would have been hilarious if Bush threw his own shoes back at the fool.:-D

Now that really would have been a great video. A great Army boot returning at speed from the Pitcher! Bosh, man down.

If your post is spotted, someone will mock it up.

And God Bless you, Hokie; come back safe.

Last edited:
But people have already forgotten.
Actually it's quite typical.
In East Germany they forgot about how bad life was under the eyes of the secret police.
In Cambodia, the killing fields are almost a lost memory.
I guess it's better to be oppressed under someone who is the same nationality as you than to be given a chance at some freedom while temporarily under someone foreign.
Either way, Godspeed Hokie.
We follow the news like the Native Americans followed the buffalo... If the media doesn't make a big deal about it, then by God, we don't either.

LOL.Bush can duck like a pro. I thought it was very funny. And GW seemed to find it amusing as well, by his expression...

He is a politician they are used to ducking responsibility and generally so coated in Teflon that it would have just glanced off even had it connected.

I just noticed on the news that there are two schools of thought in Iraq over this issue according to a local news report:
1) He should be released and awarded a medal.
2) He should be locked up for missing.

There were two things in that assault that impressed me as well:
1) The man actually got two shoes away, I figured he would have been jumped after one.
2) Bush's agility and ability to crack a joke right away.

Last edited:
He is a politician they are used to ducking responsibility and generally so coated in Teflon that it would have just glanced off even had it connected.

I just noticed on the news that there are two schools of thought in Iraq over this issue according to a local news report:
1) He should be released and awarded a medal.
2) He should be locked up for missing.
3) He should be locked up for throwing it. Not all Iraqis hate Bush...

3) He should be locked up for throwing it. Not all Iraqis hate Bush...

Seems enough of them do to get out support the thrower...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7783608.stm

-----------------------------------------------------------

Iraq rally for Bush shoe attacker
Thousands of Iraqis have demanded the release of a local TV reporter who threw his shoes at US President George W Bush at a Baghdad news conference.
Crowds gathered in Baghdad's Sadr City district, calling for "hero" Muntadar al-Zaidi to be freed from custody.
Officials at the Iraqi-owned TV station, al-Baghdadiya, called for the release of their journalist, saying he was exercising freedom of expression.
Iraqi officials have described the incident as shameful.
A statement released by the government said Mr Zaidi's actions, which also included him shouting insults at President Bush, "harmed the reputation of Iraqi journalists and Iraqi journalism in general".
Correspondents say the protesters are supporters of Shia cleric Moqtada Sadr - a leading critic of the US presence in Iraq. Smaller protests were reported in Basra and Najaf.

The Iraqi government has demanded an on-air apology from his employer.
An Iraqi official was quoted by the Associated Press as saying that the journalist was being interrogated to determine whether anybody paid him to throw his shoes at President Bush.
He was also being tested for alcohol and drugs, and his shoes were being held as evidence, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The Cairo-based al-Baghdadiya TV channel said Mr Zaidi should be freed because he had been exercising freedom of expression - something which the Americans had promised to Iraqis on the ousting of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

"Any measures against Muntadar will be considered the acts of a dictatorial regime," the firm said in a statement.
The programming director for al-Baghdadiya, Muzhir al-Khafaji, described the journalist as a "proud Arab and an open-minded man".
He said he was afraid for Mr Zaidi's safety, adding that the reporter had been arrested by US officials twice before.
"We fear that our correspondents in Iraq will be arrested. We have 200 correspondents there," he added.
'Proud Arab'
Mr Zaidi leapt from his chair at Sunday's news conference and hurled first one shoe and then the other at Mr Bush, who was joined at the podium by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki.

The shoes missed as Mr Bush ducked, and Mr Zaidi was immediately wrestled to the ground by security guards and frogmarched from the room.
"This is a farewell kiss, you dog," he yelled in Arabic as he threw his shoes. "This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq."
Arabic TV stations have been repeatedly showing footage of the incident, which was also front-page news in many papers.
Correspondents say the journalist's tirade was echoed by Arabs across the Middle East who are fed up with US policy in the region.
"He [George Bush] deserves to be hit with 100, not just one or two shoes. Who wants him to come here?" said a man in Baghdad.
But his view was not expressed by everyone.
"I think this incident is unnecessary, to be honest. That was a press conference, not a war. If someone wants to express his opinion he should do so in the proper manner, not this way," said another Baghdad resident.
Courts criticised
Also on Monday, Human Rights Watch accused Iraq's main criminal court of failing to meet basic international standards of justice.
The New York-based group said torture and abuse of prisoners before trial appeared common, and legal representation was often ineffectual.
Human Rights Watch said some of the court's failings showed disturbing similarities to those that existed during the Saddam Hussein era.
The group called on Iraq to take immediate steps to protect detainees from torture, and ensure they had access to proper defence and received a prompt hearing.

It's the sign of the times Henderson. Everyone is obsessed with losing and MUST have another "Vietnam."

Do you believe half of what you post?

Seriously who is losing and what does Vietnam have to do with this?

You really need to get more positive outlook on things.

In terms of Bush I have no doubt not everyone hates him but I think most people would accept that he is probably one of the most disliked of American Presidents (certainly in terms of world opinion) in living memory and maybe of all time, deserved or not.

Last edited:
You have any idea how many industries and social groups require some kind of American defeat in order to gain or keep their power or legtimacy?
Vietnam made the media powerful.
Vietnam made the leftists powerful.
There are groups who require another Vietnam in order to boost their position. You wouldn't believe how upset they were that the first Gulf War didn't turn out to be a Vietnam.

You have any idea how many industries and social groups require some kind of American defeat in order to gain or keep their power or legtimacy?
Vietnam made the media powerful.
Vietnam made the leftists powerful.
There are groups who require another Vietnam in order to boost their position. You wouldn't believe how upset they were that the first Gulf War didn't turn out to be a Vietnam.

Which bit of this is remotely relevant to what we are discussing?

But just for kicks:
Do you have any idea how many industries and social groups don't think about America at all?

Vietnam made the media powerful no doubt about that but it was the failure of government and the military to control the situation that handed the power to the media, trust me CNN did not napalm anyone they just took the pictures.

Vietnam made the leftists powerful, no it didn't the government made the media powerful and the media made the people powerful and believe it or not that is the way democracies work, the authorities pass out information to the people who then make their own minds up.

Who requires another Vietnam?
The few people I know that have compared Iraq to Vietnam have done so because it was an example of a failure not because they want a repeat.

Now is there any chance we can get back to an Iraqi throwing a shoe at George Bush?

Last edited:
It is really a shame that people in this country can compare our President to Hitler. I guess we truly are Americanizing the Iraqi's because they are starting to act like Americans. (That is like spoiled, petulant little children who don;t get their way).

In terms of Bush I have no doubt not everyone hates him but I think most people would accept that he is probably one of the most disliked of American Presidents (certainly in terms of world opinion) in living memory and maybe of all time, deserved or not.

You hit the nail on the head, in the detail of your post; the devil is always in the detail - and you are clearly accurate in your summing up:-...............,"deserved or not".

y190138600041916.jpg

Is it just me, or does Prime Minister al Maliki look a little too nonchalant - as if shoe throwing at a press conference is just another day at the office. Conspiracy maybe?
Naw, but I think he looks kinda disgusted to be supposedly friends with the guy getting the arab version of the finger.

After a meeting with Hamid Karzai in the capital of Kabul, Bush said he told the president of Afghanistan: "You can count on the United States. Just like you've been able to count on this administration, you'll be able to count on the next administration as well."
Karzai should probably be placed on suicide watch, after hearing that.

No he looks to be disgusted by the disrespectful behavior of one of his countrymen.
I was surprised though that the secret service wasn't faster at stopping this guy. I remember how fast they were when Reagan was shot. They shoved the President into the car, knocked Hinkley down to the ground and the Uzis came out of nowhere in what seemed like an instant.

There's something not right about the shoe throwing. If you watch the al-Zapruder film there's not enough time for Muntazer al-Zaidi to get a second shoe off in the time recorded, ipso facto, there must have been a second shoe thrower in the room, perhaps on the palmy knoll. Someone call Oliver Stone.
:hide:

Good one Padre. :bravo:I guess we will see a conspiracy film on this in a few years. Ultimately it is disturbing that there is a noticable lack of courtesy everywhere you look.

There's something not right about the shoe throwing. If you watch the al-Zapruder film there's not enough time for Muntazer al-Zaidi to get a second shoe off in the time recorded, ipso facto, there must have been a second shoe thrower in the room, perhaps on the palmy knoll. Someone call Oliver Stone.
:hide:
DUN DUN DUUUNNN!!

Hahaha. I love it Padre. Very nice.

It is really a shame that people in this country can compare our President to Hitler. I guess we truly are Americanizing the Iraqi's because they are starting to act like Americans. (That is like spoiled, petulant little children who don;t get their way).

I agree with you. It is a shame people are comparing George W Bush to Adolph Hitler. Adolph Hitler was a fantacist. He was also a very muddled man who did things because of horoscopes and card readings. In other words, when he caused misery, his reasons were stupid, superstitious, and basically the product of a diseased brain. His rabid hate for Jews and Slavs is most definatly the product of a stunted world outlook. The man was a fruitcake.

Dubya, on the other hand. though not the brightest bulb in the room is a realist, and most definatly an opportunist. With the help of Mr. Cheney, Mr. Rumsfield and a few others the great excuse of WMD was invented to pilfer the the oil and mineral rights of a sovergn nation. Even in the charter of the United Nations this action has been described as an illegal war. I truly feel sorry for Ms. Condeleeza Rice who is an incredibly intelligent person working within a cesspool of war profiteers. Mr.Colin Powell also, should have gotten away from this pack of thieves well before he did. Its tragic It took him as long as it did. No, you are right its a shame people describe George W Bush to Adolph Hitler. A much closer fit would be Joseph Stalin.

Back