Gator

U of B and B Alumnus
Bush set to announce 20K troop surge in Iraq

NBC: Announcement expected next week in effort to reduce sectarianism

By Jim Miklaszewski
Chief Pentagon correspondent
NBC News
Updated: 35 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Although nothing is final until President Bush puts his stamp on it, administration officials tell NBC News the president has all but decided on a temporary surge of additional American forces into Iraq in an effort to bring sectarian violence in Baghdad under control.While no one is talking specific numbers, military officials believe it would involve some 20,000 additional soldiers and Marines.
Most of the increase would be achieved by extending the deployments of those troops already in Iraq by 90 days and accelerating the deployments for troops scheduled to deploy by sending them into Iraq sooner.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16453606/

I'm reminded of the old adage "a day late and a dollar short".

What is president Bush trying to achieve, I wonder? Is he just desperate, or does he have a plan? What are the political aims of this war?

Desperate is a fair analogy in my opinion.

To put it another way, it's now the start of the 4th quarter, Bush is down by a lot of touchdowns, no time outs left, and Bush does not wish to be remembered as a loser for all time.
Bush has yet to throw the hail mary, but unless things turn around fast the hail mary is not that far off.

Roger that Colonel, I believe when it is all said and done this White House will be remembered as the Gang who couldn't shoot straight.

Back