Bush on S-CHIPP

mmarsh

Well as most have you have read Bush as vetoed S-CHIPP, despite strong bipartisanship to pass it.

S-CHIPP is a program to provide health-care to 4 million kids on the poverty line. It was up for renewal this year.

I just don't get this guy. I mean I really don't. He seems absolutely determined to go down in flames as the most hated President ever.

Forget Iraq, Katrina, and the many others disasters that have due to this administration, here was a perfect chance to go out a positive, so that his presidential legacy isn't a total farce.

Both Parties wanted it, including the most stalwart of conservatives like Orrin Hatch. Its a nice, non-Partisan program, and its for a good cause. Its also been a successful programs to date, one of the few.

And what does this guy do? He says "F-YOU America" (especially you poor kids) and then he vetoes it. And for what??? According to inside sources
Bush's reason was that He didn't get everything his way in the negiociations. Once again "THE DECIDER" is throwing a tantrum and reminding everybody who is President.

No child left behind. What a farce! The should call it, "No Child Left ALIVE!"

The president knew he was doing was wrong because he refused to have C-SPAN film the signing, it was done privately behind closed doors.

Now he faces the rath of fellow Republicans such as Grasseley (a negotiator who begged Bush to sign it) who has promised to push enough GOP votes to get an override. Its not surprising as to why, who wants to be known as the "hates poor kids party" next election.

I wonder if Bush hates Republicans more than he hates Democrats now. He seems to be doing everything possible that the GOP loses big next year.

Its rare to have a congressional override on a presidential veto, I think the president's ego more than needs one.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/10/03/393524.aspx

That's because right now, Iraqis get, and so, Americans don't.
Well, Americans who are not in the employ of Department of Defense Civilian Contractors that is.
Seems President Bush can always find an extra hundred or so Billion for Iraq.... over and over.

Gator

That last statement is certainly true. SCHIP would have cost $60 Billion over 5 years that would have been been paid for by raising taxes on tobacco.

The current war in Iraq is costing us $1 Billion every week and is being paid for by money borrowed from China.

And all of the sudden the GOP thinks its the party of fiscal responsibility. Its so pathetic it laughable.

By the way all 4 GOP candidates have sided with Bush on this. I dont like the Dems, but I really hope the GOP gets its a** royally kicked next election. Its such a farce they deserves to lose.

Last edited:
I think if the Dem's are smart enough to go with a moderate and stay away from Clinton. They'd sweep it. Just have to wait and see who they nominate.

Is this some kind of self destructive urge?

Oh well,... I guess George can't do politics and think at the same time. Pity about that.

The main issue with the S-Chip program was that it did not go to "poor" families.

Under the new system, children would have been covered until the age that they are twenty five years old. And if you were over the age of eighteen you could still sign up for it. Children are not people 25 and under.

It would have increased the eligibility from couples earning up to 200% of the federal poverty level to couples earning 300% of the federal poverty level, approximately $62,000 for a family of four, or up to $83,000 for a family of four in the state of New York.

Sorry, but that does not cut it. It was a Democrat/Liberal attempt to bring in Socialized Health care. I'm all for helping the poor, but this is not it. It was just the standard liberal attack of "Think of the Children"....

I currently make $44,000 a year and I have medical insurance. I am covered by both the Police Department and a Private Medical Insurance Company called Cigna Healthcare. I pay into Cigna Healthcare. I use Cigna more then anything else. I don't even use the VA System. But then again the VA System is a proven system of socialized healthcare in America and look at how well that works.

Last edited:
The main issue with the S-Chip program was that it did not go to "poor" families.

Under the new system, children would have been covered until the age that they are twenty five years old. And if you were over the age of eighteen you could still sign up for it. Children are not people 25 and under.

It would have increased the eligibility from couples earning up to 200% of the federal poverty level to couples earning 300% of the federal poverty level, approximately $62,000 for a family of four, or up to $83,000 for a family of four in the state of New York.

Sorry, but that does not cut it. It was a Democrat/Liberal attempt to bring in Socialized Health care. I'm all for helping the poor, but this is not it. It was just the standard liberal attack of "Think of the Children"....

I currently make $44,000 a year and I have medical insurance. I am covered by both the Police Department and a Private Medical Insurance Company called Cigna Healthcare. I pay into Cigna Healthcare. I use Cigna more then anything else. I don't even use the VA System. But then again the VA System is a proven system of socialized healthcare in America and look at how well that works.

Wrong on all factors

1. SCHIP is a Republican program passed by a Republican Congress in 1997. The Liberal conspiracy theory ends right there.

2. FAMILES BRACE FOR S-CHIP DEMISE
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3685861&page=1

"Tobi Drabcyk, who lives with her husband and four children in Walkersville, Md., said she would not be able to afford health care for her children unless they were covered by SCHIP. "We are a family of six," she said. "My husband works full time as a maintenance supervisor at an apartment community. If we paid for insurance through his work, it would cost us $700 to $1,000 a month. My husband's salary is only $36,000 a year, and we can't afford private insurance. It would almost be food off of our table." Taylor said she is in the same situation. "If SCHIP is not renewed, it would really hurt," she said. "It would be a strain to the family, because I would have to put my son on my health insurance plan, and would have to spend over one-fourth of my income to insure my son and myself."
Many health policy experts agree that the veto presents a dire situation for these families.

You see 5.56, this family doesn't have insurance and are very likely to get hurt by Bush's heartlessness. The difference between you and them is that you are a STATE PUBLIC EMPLOYEE, which mean you get good perks from the PD that people in the private sector aren't so lucky to get. Nor do most people get any help from the VA. I certainly don't. Your comfy situation doesn't apply to a lot of us out there.

The fact YOU have insurance doesn't mean the rest of us do. There are 40 Million Americans with no insurance whatsoever.

The USA and Mexico are the only western countries to have no universal healthcare. The World Health care organization has the US at #37 with Cuba #38. In every study US health care has come out in a consistently bad light. Its time to stop pretending our system works, it doesn't. You have 43 Million Americans (thats about 20% of the population with no Health insurance).

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/opinion/12sun1.html

I would also point out that the Healthcare industry is one of the largest supporters of the Bush Administration and many GOP candidates. And since S-CHIP cuts into their profits I can gather a good guess as to why Bush killed it. Its similar to the reason Halliburton seems to own its own Middle Eastern Oil Country right now.

BTW I am reading the public's response in the press, I'll describe it in one word: OUTRAGE.

Way to go George, you couldnt have made the Dems any happier.

USMC03

They might even win with Hillary. Especially if Bush keeps doing things like this.

Last edited:
They might even win with Hillary. Especially if Bush keeps doing things like this.

I'm reminded of the old saying "be careful what you wish for".

I believe that not all that long ago many in the Republican Party were pushing for Senator Clinton to run, and win the Nomination, but thats back when the Republican Party seemed stronger Nationally, at least on paper.

I don't like Clinton. My money is on Edwards, Obama or Gore (if he runs).

But so far Clinton beats every GOP nominee except Guiliani where its a tie. And thats assuming Guiliani wins the nomination, there are strong indications he might not survive the GOP primaries. If he doesn't, its almost automatically a DEM lock in 08 barring some unforeseen disaster.

What I don't understand is why the GOP candidates are siding with the president on S-CHIPP. Its like holding a billboard saying: "Don't vote for us, we only care about the rich and we hate poor kids". Even if they were lying through their teeth, openly defending Bush on this its handing a gun over to the democrats.

Back