Bush: Mission Confusing

Ironside

Banned
George Bush does the aircraft carrier speech and claims the end of major combat.
Then he recently said Iraq wasn't going as well as he expected it to have gone by now.
Finally he said we can’t win the war on terror.

He's gone from, as John Edwards said:

Missions Accomplished
to
Mission Mismanaged
to
To Mission Impossible

Of course for damage control, he’s recanting now saying again, we will win it.

I’d like to know what he REALLY thinks.

I may catch hell for this, but here goes. I agree with the statement that the war on terror can never be "won." Winning the war on terror is like stopping every crime in the US...it ain't going to happen. The only thing we can do is eliminate or hinder those states who support terrorism. This will suppress acts of terror but never rid ourselves of it. History has shown that there will ALWAYS be acts of terror.

Speaking of history, Iraq reminds me of the Philippines during the Spanish American War. The Marines went into the Philippines in 1899 and kicked butt. President McKinley declared major operations in the Philippians were over. Yet a MUSLIM insurgency occurred that took the lives 4,234 americans and wounded 2,818 more. The democrats tried to use the anti war approach to win the presidency in 1900. The republicans were able to label the democrats as unpatriotic and they won. The insurgency lasted until 1904 with small acts of violence lasting until 1913. The people of the Philippines had figured out that life under the Americans wasn't so bad. History has a way of repeating itself and has proved right so far. Watch out in November.

Bush is a politician. If he were to go out and directly say to an address to the public that the war on terror cannot really be won, this is what would happen. You'd have a bunch of non educated fools yelling that the war on terror cannot be won, the press would eat it up and Bush would lose the election.

So I guess Bush is saying that to appease the people. He must have learned from Kerry, because Kerry has 30 years of experience when it comes to saying anything to make the people happy.

EDIT NOTE: I suck at spelling!!!!
Admin edit: Then try the spellchecker.. ;)

If Bush ever said we weren't going to win the war on , it was probably misconstrued, as is everything else he says. I believe he meant that the war on will never be over(like crime in the US is never eliminated). But, of course, the liberal media and John Edwards take it out of perspective and twist it to mean we will never win the anti wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's rediculous folks, petty and rediculous.

Looks like you've forgotten the rules again, Ironside. Although most of us know which incident you are referring to, you still need to provide a reputable source for all your information, and you need to clearly seperate fact from what is purely your opinion.

Link

Asked "Can we win?" Bush said, "I don't think you can win it. But I think you can create conditions so that the -- those who use terror as a tool are less acceptable in parts of the world."

That sounds reasonable.

You can't expect to completely eradicate the hatred, but you can frustrate it's development, stamp out the leaders, and seize the resources.

Do you think the US can achieve a complete and total victory in the War on Terror?

No, the resolve of our enemies is currently greater then that of America's citizens. Only if our nation was once again united, which it never will be again, would we be able to meet our enemy head on and overcome their evil.

Umm Doody, philippians are from the Bible, phillippines i think you mean, or however you spell it, but i see your point.

"Stanley: War? Who are we at war with?
Gabriel: Anyone who impinges on America's freedom. Terrorist states, Stanley. Someone must bring their war to them. They bomb a church, we bomb 10. They hijack a plane, we take out an airport. They execute American tourist, we tactically nuke an entire city. Our job is to make terrorism so horrific that is becomes unthinkable to attack Americans."

"London. Paris. Athens. Rome. Belfast. Beirut. We're not the first city to have to deal with terrorism. Tel Aviv. The day after they bombed the market in Tel Aviv the market was open and it was full. This is New York City. We can take it."

"This is the land of opportunity, gentlemen. You have the opportunity to turn yourself in. "

"What if what they really want is for us to herd children into stadiums like we're doing? And put soldiers on the street and - and have Americans looking over their shoulders? Bend the law, shred the Constitution just a little bit? Because if we torture him, General, we do that, and everything that we have bled and fought and died for is over, and they've won. They've already won!"

come quotes that might help you my friends, I agree with the first one the most.

Ladies and gents, this is my view of teh presidential elections and politics in general, its not about whose right and whose wrong; its what the hell do i have to do win the election, even if i have to lie, cheat, and buy my way in.

Thankyou, his mission is really messed up.

I hate the man he's sent two of my best friends to war and they have died because of it.

I wish that he goes to hell.

JFK will bring us out of it.

This:

Time said:
I wish that he goes to h**l.

is unacceptable behavior, as you have been told several times here, and by myself twice within the past few hours. For the rest of you who are walking the line between responsible and immature posts, you have had your last warning, and no further freebies will be handed out. If you are unsure what crosses the line, read the forum rules and information.

Redneck said:
Time, you are gone.

Yes I know this is not the place for me to be pouting about my personal problems so I stop as of now.

I still don't like the man, and find him very confusing at the best of times.

Time said:
Thankyou, his mission is really messed up.

I hate the man he's sent two of my best friends to war and they have died because of it.

I wish that he goes to h**l.

JFK will bring us out of it.

I am very very sorry for your loss. Do you think your friends were really that mad at President Bush for them serving their country? People join the military, and they may join at a time of "peace", or they may happen to join during a full fledged war. People tend to be killed in war, and unfortunately, its become something that goes along with it. If we could have war, and solve problems without fighting, that would be wonderful, but we are just human. So are Kerry and Bush.

My cousins hubby just returned from Kuwait after one year, not long ago. He said the whole time he was there, he was felt like he wasn't contributing what-so-ever to anything. He would have rather been closer to the front lines, then to have been doing whatever he was doing.

Give people a human chance.

I know its hard

I know its difficult losing a friend full stop. Its even harder to lose a friend in war especially if the war being fought is on behalf of someone else not directly linked to your country. I know this may come across as heartless, but your friends joined the military knowing that there was the possibility of them dying on a battlefield somewhere in the world. I have also lost friends in the war and was sorry I couldnt be with them when it happened, their are days when I think I would of gladly stood next to them and taken a bullet at the same time. I would of taken a bullet for these guys, at the same time I`m glad I havent been sent to Iraq because I want to see my son grow up. An option my friends no longer have, one of them left behind 3 cracking kids 2 girls and a boy who are just old enough to know what death is and believe me that was one of the hardest questions I ever faced "why is daddy dead?"
I dont have much love for Tony Blair or George Bush, for their policies or there past, but you do have to admire them slightly they said they would do it and they did its just a shame that so many have died.
I will not say it was a waste of life though because they died trying to bring freedom to an oppressed people and if I did say it was a waste I would be disrespecting their memory

Jay

Back