Bush hails McCain's leadership as GOP backs Palin

I think people have been discussing that to death here.
The Republicans feel he'll make a good President.
The Democrats don't think he'll make a good President.

Assuming hes elected (which is a big *IF*). This is what I think would happen:

Economics - There will be some improvement because of Market flow but will mostly stay stagnant. The GOP has always been weak on the economy and by McCain oen admission: he's no economist. I think he will continue the thrice proven failure of Reagans supply side economics (known as "Voodoo Economics" by Bush Sr), which is to give huge taxcuts to the rich and have it trickle to the bottom. It hasn't worked once in 30 years, and they only result will be that the chasm between rich and everyone else will only get wider.

Foreign Policy - Will continue the Bush stay foreign policy of bullying and intimidation instead of diplomacy which will of course make everyone else in the world madder than hell. Could be dangerous as countries like Russia dont like the US and dont like being bullied by them. And remember Russia is not the USSR of 1980 that McCain remembers. Russia is vast becoming a wealthy country due to its oil exports, that the death of 1000 cuts that ended the USSR. They would intrepret increased US Foreign Policy aggression as a security threat. Look what happened to Georgia if you dont believe me on that one.

And speaking of oil, McCain will continue the Bush Matra of drill, drill, drill specifically on the coast while failing to act upon the knowledge that the entire achilles heel of America (and the strength of her enemies) is oil. The only winners of this will be the oil industy. It will NOT reduce the price at the pump by much.

BTW, did anyone see Bush last night? I saw him on CNN. This here is a real doosy. His solution to fix the electrical problems in LA caused by Hurricane Gustav is to drill more oil off the Louisiana coast. Despite the fact that the mayor said the power woulld be restored in a 1-2 days. I kidd you not, thats how dumb he takes us for. Classic Bait and Switch. Think about that when you go to the ballot box. Bush up for reelection but the people who put him into power are still around, and they are supporting the candidate who supports THEIR interests, not yours.

Iraq will get worse, when the Iraqi nationalists realize that the USA has no intention of leaving and is starting to build permanent military bases like in Saudi Arabia something McCain has repeated stated he would do.

Immigration. Probably some guest worker program that will surely piss off the radical right. The plans he favors are more similar to the Bush+Democrats plan. This will probably be a success.

Social laws
. Same as every other GOP administration. He will talk a good line about pro-life, anti-gay, and faith-issues but leave everything as the status quo. McCain is smart enough not to actually run the wrath of the voters by making any drastic changes. He Will NOT try and overturn Roe V Wade by appointing a extremist because as I said hes not stupid and he knows Congress (which is almost certain to stay Democratic) would never allow it.

I am not a big McCain fan, but I will say this. He will be better than Bush because he doesn't have many of Bush's worst personal vices (dishonesty, arrogance, incompetence, ignorance, lack of intelligence, etc). McCain is a good man but hes wrong on the issues, and he is totally out of touch with the world. I also think hes too old and infirm to have the most difficult job in the world. Personally I think he be better suited as someone's Sec. Defense.

Last edited:
Assuming hes elected (which is a big *IF*). This is what I think would happen:

Economics - There will be some improvement because of Market flow but will mostly stay stagnant. The GOP has always been weak on the economy and by McCain oen admission: he's no economist. I think he will continue the thrice proven failure of Reagans supply side economics (known as "Voodoo Economics" by Bush Sr), which is to give huge taxcuts to the rich and have it trickle to the bottom. It hasn't worked once in 30 years, and they only result will be that the chasm between rich and everyone else will only get wider.

Foreign Policy - Will continue the Bush stay foreign policy of bullying and intimidation instead of diplomacy which will of course make everyone else in the world madder than hell. Could be dangerous as countries like Russia dont like the US and dont like being bullied by them. And remember Russia is not the USSR of 1980 that McCain remembers. Russia is vast becoming a wealthy country due to its oil exports, that the death of 1000 cuts that ended the USSR. They would intrepret increased US Foreign Policy aggression as a security threat. Look what happened to Georgia if you dont believe me on that one.

And speaking of oil, McCain will continue the Bush Matra of drill, drill, drill specifically on the coast while failing to act upon the knowledge that the entire achilles heel of America (and the strength of her enemies) is oil. The only winners of this will be the oil industy. It will NOT reduce the price at the pump by much.

BTW, did anyone see Bush last night? I saw him on CNN. This here is a real doosy. His solution to fix the electrical problems in LA caused by Hurricane Gustav is to drill more oil off the Louisiana coast. Despite the fact that the mayor said the power woulld be restored in a 1-2 days. I kidd you not, thats how dumb he takes us for. Classic Bait and Switch. Think about that when you go to the ballot box. Bush up for reelection but the people who put him into power are still around, and they are supporting the candidate who supports THEIR interests, not yours.

Iraq will get worse, when the Iraqi nationalists realize that the USA has no intention of leaving and is starting to build permanent military bases like in Saudi Arabia something McCain has repeated stated he would do.

Immigration. Probably some guest worker program that will surely piss off the radical right. The plans he favors are more similar to the Bush+Democrats plan. This will probably be a success.

Social laws
. Same as every other GOP administration. He will talk a good line about pro-life, anti-gay, and faith-issues but leave everything as the status quo. McCain is smart enough not to actually run the wrath of the voters by making any drastic changes. He Will NOT try and overturn Roe V Wade by appointing a extremist because as I said hes not stupid and he knows Congress (which is almost certain to stay Democratic) would never allow it.

I am not a big McCain fan, but I will say this. He will be better than Bush because he doesn't have many of Bush's worst personal vices (dishonesty, arrogance, incompetence, ignorance, lack of intelligence, etc). McCain is a good man but hes wrong on the issues, and he is totally out of touch with the world. I also think hes too old and infirm to have the most difficult job in the world. Personally I think he be better suited as someone's Sec. Defense.
The issues thing is a matter of opinion, hence bipartisan America. I don't actually think McCain is THAT out of touch, I mean, sure most old folks are a little behind the times, but that's to be expected. McCain has old fashioned values, something I respect and follow myself as a Southern military boy, and I think he definitely reflects that ideology. I do have to agree though, that there would be no more definite political suicide than to attempt to overturn Roe v Wade, or attempt to pass anti-gay legislation, etc. We get into a whole 'nother ball game when we talk about issues like that, but I'll say that it's a shame that America is becoming more and more tolerant of certain things. (Note I did not say tolerant as a whole. I'm fine with segregation and all that. LOL)

Economy- Crapper. I've come to the revelation that the economy will always be $#%^. Forever and ever amen. The cost of living will just keep on increasing at an ungodly rate, and we'll have to keep inflating the value of the dollar to keep up with it... I say we just need a big @$$ reset button as far as the economy goes.

Foreign Policy- We'll stay in Iraq because we need to stay in Iraq. I've said it before on here, we shouldn't have gone to Iraq, but now that we're there, we can't leave them. We can't leave them to their own devices because their own devices would kill them. We have to wait till the dust settles further before we hand over the reins completely.

Oil- Whether this was just campaigning bull or whether he really wants it this way is beyond me. But McCain says that he will continue to drill local oil AND continue to seek alternative energy sources. That's the way I think it should go. America needs to reduce it's dependence on other countries, and right now, we aren't capable of stopping the use of oil completely. So for now I think the best idea is to drill at home, and come up with alt. energy ASAP. It's the best plan I've seen so far.

Immigration- This is more my personal view on immigration... We need to beef up the security. I'm not saying Berlin Wall part 2, but we need a much better method of letting people into the country. We need a way to ensure that as many people enter the country legally as possible. I'm all for immigration, but PLEASE just do it the right way... I don't mind you coming in and taking my job, but I'd rather have a legal US citizen who's paying taxes work than an illegal who's just makin a quick buck to head back down to Cancun and live like a king.

Social Reform- Like I said before, you're right... Unfortunately. Republican ideals are more conservative than America can tolerate. A prospect I find rather disappointing. The "good ole fashioned" days are gone... Now it's acceptable for gays to take part in a holy sacrament, now it's acceptable for people to kill a child as long as it hasn't been born yet, but it's not OK for a parent to discipline their child. (Again, there are those who would take that liberty too far, but those are exeptions.) America is in need of a change, but, in my opinion, not the changes Barack Obama wants to make.

OH! I forgot your age remark... I personally feel that anyone who can survive 5 and a half years in Hanoi Hilton can definitely handle bureaucrats.

Last edited:
I think he'd make a decent president.

I just wish Bush would keep his mouth shut! McCain is probably in the back waving his hands for Bush to shut up. No one needs any help from Bush right now, especially when the Republicans are going to try so hard to hold onto the White House.

(I'd vote for anyone that wasn't Obama though - that guy scares me).

I

(I'd vote for anyone that wasn't Obama though - that guy scares me).
He's the bogeyman, you know? He's going to get you in your sleep!
*end sarcasm*

The American satrical paper, The Onion, ran a headline the other day:
Cheney To Speak At Republican Convention From Section 109, Row 56, Seat 3

This is a campaign that is trying its best to distance itself from the last Administration. However, it's voting record in support of Bush hurts its credibility.

He's the bogeyman, you know? He's going to get you in your sleep!
*end sarcasm*

The American satrical paper, The Onion, ran a headline the other day:
Cheney To Speak At Republican Convention From Section 109, Row 56, Seat 3

This is a campaign that is trying its best to distance itself from the last Administration. However, it's voting record in support of Bush hurts its credibility.
The Onion also had a reporter at the Republican Women Press Conference today, and he had the balls to ask how they connected sexism to the scrutiny/criticism of Sarah Palin versus that of Barack Obama...

Anyway, the McCain campaign isn't trying to distance itself completely... They are both Republican and stand together on similar issues, besides, McCain and Bush are friends...

(1)The Onion also had a reporter at the Republican Women Press Conference today, and he had the balls to ask how they connected sexism to the scrutiny/criticism of Sarah Palin versus that of Barack Obama...

(2)Anyway, the McCain campaign isn't trying to distance itself completely... They are both Republican and stand together on similar issues, besides, McCain and Bush are friends...
1- you sure you're talking about the right paper?

2- It can't be doing him many favors.

Yes, I am. His name was Greg something. LOL... You think I would have forgotten a name like The Onion?

Sure it can... Those who endorse the President normally like who he likes...

Imagine that, the Onion has a reporter. wow. :)

Do remember that we aren't dealing with rational humans here, we're dealing with the politely termed "swing voters," or, as Bill Maher calls them, "*ssholes." These people have no rational thought, and go on impulse. It's how the Swift Boat ads hurt John Kerry in ,04. Swing voters saw them and said, "my god, that's bad." It didnt' matter that there was no truth to the ads. They voted for Bush because he wasn't tainted-record Kerry, never mind that Bush had a somewhat tainted record himself, because that was reported later than the first 10 minutes of the newscast, during the hard part. They saw the commercial, and went with what they saw.

If they hear that McCain is linked to Bush, that's bad, because they've heard that Bush is bad from the Media. Thus, they'll vote Obama. Or, they'll hear that Obama is bad too and they'll do the really stupid thing: not vote at all.

Back