Bush did the right thing by going into Iraq.

gladius

First day of school was today, in my area at least. You could see the masses of kids and the traffic jams of the parents cars caused by all this.

I couldn't help but think, what if it was here in the US that the terrorist attacked on the kids first day of school instead of in Russia.

It was widely known that the terrorist and extremist flocked to Iraq in order to fight our troops. They saw this as a good and easy opportunity to harm the US. Who knows how many of them we killed. Each one of those we killed over there is one less that could potentialy come over here and do us harm.

I seriuosly believe that if we hadn't gone over to Iraq, some of those terrorist who got killed over there would have made plans to do some kind of strike somewhere. Out of those at least some would have picked the US as a target. If they would have been succesful, we will never know, and I'm glad.

I know we lost over a thousand troops in Iraq already. But I sincerely believe they didn't die vain. Because of them, the kids who went to school today all came home safely.

The United States, United Kingdom, Poland, Italy, and all the other various nations who supported the war and still do, rightfully acted.

Well, it's good to see a few people who see things my way, instead of what the general public thinks.

Just ask the soldiers who were, and are, over there. I don't think many of them disagree with the President. In fact many are speaking out for the war.

A lot of us were kind of at ends when we found out we were going back to the Gulf to start things with Iraq. The usual complaints flew around, "its for Oil, or Votes ETC. I feel for my brothers and sisters out in the sand right now and we pray for them everyday. The point of this is, I work in intel and operations. All of our doubts were cleared up as soon as we started to recieve some photographs of the "torture chambers." As well as stories of various villages where all the men were killed off. The was one place where the was a industrial sized shredder of some sort that Uday liked to send people through. Seeing these images and having them burned into my mind removed all doubt that what was going on in that country had to be stopped. No body should have to live like that.

Bad decision. Poorly planned. The American public will get tired of this fiasco. Honestly, do you really think you can win the peace in Iraq. Afghanistan is not looking to good these days either but I guess you don't want to talk about that one.

As far as enlisted US servicemen, especially those who are or were in Iraq, the consensus is very strong in favor of our being in Iraq. Now those that oppose the war need to ask themselves one very important question: Why is that? Are they deluded? Gullible? Brainwashed?

The truth is, they are none of those things. They just happen to have been there firsthand, and did not need the official press coverage and its telling of the events. No, oddly enough, they knew firsthand ... and for some odd reason they come to opposite conclusions compared to the civilians back home who depend on the media to keep them current on what's happenening. So why would that be? Rather than being predecided, ask a soldier who has been there what they think of things. You might just learn something.

Well Galidus what you said is true, that is one less terrorist that poses a threat, but i think we should have finished with afhganistan and at least caught Osama or confirmed his death before we moved on.

Al Zawahiri is the man you really need to get. He is the brains behind Al Queda. You boys seem to have a fixation with Bin Laden. Maybe the US media is getting in your heads just a little too much. :)

While you boys are getting very cosy and agreeing with each other, could one of you Marine boys out there educate us on the real security situation in the US sectors? You would obviously have a better perspective than the journos, observers, govt officials, contract workers (and the ones taken hostage), etc.

It doesn't look good in the media but I just guess we are getting it all wrong. Elections still looking good for January ?

Read the other day that the Marines around Tikrit are doing a great job. Things are very quiet relatively. They have been doing deals (money etc) with the local sheiks. The sheiks like to feel important. The Brits are doing similar things in Basra. Seems there will be a lot of deal making between now and January.

As for Afghanistan, the State Department Web Site list impressive achievements made. BBC web sites document major security problems outside the major centres. Upcoming elections in October need more security and observers/monitors. A real worry. Particularly as resources are going to Iraq.

My views are: I agree with the stand taken in Afghanistan but not in Iraq. Bill Clinton had the right idea. We should have waited and planned better for the peace.

gladius said:
I know we lost over a thousand troops in Iraq already. But I sincerely believe they didn't die vain. Because of them, the kids who went to school today all came home safely.

I think George W. Bush has made the American people afraid of terrorists more than ever. What does invading Iraq got to do with kids coming home safely. What about the years of the Clinton Administration, did Iraq kill any American citizens? No. Even though I agree with Bush's decision to take out Saddam Hussein. He should have done it with a UN force, instead of a American force. Thanks to Bush, the American influence around the World and Middle-East has diminished.

Red_Army said:
I think George W. Bush has made the American people afraid of terrorists more than ever. What does invading Iraq got to do with kids coming home safely. What about the years of the Clinton Administration, did Iraq kill any American citizens? No. Even though I agree with Bush's decision to take out Saddam Hussein. He should have done it with a UN force, instead of a American force. Thanks to Bush, the American influence around the World and Middle-East has diminished.

I am sorry, but the US cannot stand around and wait for the UN. In the last 10 years, I have not been impressed with the UN. Remember, it was the UN who was in Bosnia for almost 6 years. It was NATO, lead by the US, who came in and stopped the fighting in less than 4 months. The UN acted more like a barking dog than the world's authority when it came to Iraq. 15 different resolutions telling Iraq to disarm. AND the UN has ignored countries like Rwanda and Sudan.

If we had waited for the UN, we may have had action by 2010

SSG Doody

Back