Bush Commutes Libby Jail Term

Actually, President Clinton is not the sitting United States President, and, actually, George Bush is the sitting United States President, the sitting United States President with over a year left in office.

Actually, you're in the Republican bashing business so you ignore anything factual about your particular political leanings. That is the subject of my post.

In the future, keep your sarcasm to yourself or you may earn yourself a time out. If you would like to have more information on why, shoot me an email and I'll be glad to explain.

Actually, you're in the Republican bashing business so you ignore anything factual about your particular political leanings. That is the subject of my post.

In the future, keep your sarcasm to yourself or you may earn yourself a time out. If you would like to have more information on why, shoot me an email and I'll be glad to explain.

My Post was not meant to be sarcastic in the least, merely informational.

I will not be sending you an emal, and will not be responding to your Postings in the future, unless they are in your official capacity.

I cannot place you on ignore, but, I think I can remember for the future.

Last edited:

Just a quick question:
Does the same public warning go out the Democrat bashers?

Not that I care either way but for consistency sake it would be nice to know and the board does seem to have its share of both so I am sure they would like to know you are on their trail as well.

Missileer

You say that Libby was punished. I fail to see how. Libby was sentenced to 30 months in Jail, 2 years probation and a $250,000 fine.

1. 30 months probation is gone. -Thanks to our glorious leader.

2. The Probation period is gone too, do to the fact that Libby got "supervised release" not actual probation. The legal loophole of 'supervised release' its only in effect AFTER being released from jail. In other words, No Jail, no supervised release.

see below
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19591231/

3. Which leaves the Fine in which the GOP cronies will obviously pay for him.

So I ask again, where is the punishment?

Last edited:
Actually, President Clinton is not the sitting United States President, and, actually, George Bush is the sitting United States President, the sitting United States President with over a year left in office.

MonteB, do you see anything in this post that pertains to the presidential pardon and commutation records that I posted? All I see is a post that shuffled the topic to who was and is in office. Does it have anything at all about a response to my facts I posted?

This kind of response to any post is not necessary and by his using the word "actually" from my post is an attempt at flame baiting.

As for bashing Democrats, when have you seen me do such or condone someone changing the topic by doing so? I don't change my opinions from the thinking process to a feeling process on any subject and it's a good rule to follow. What I think about a subject is derived from thought, not how I feel about it. Too many people get the two confused and react from their "feelings" about a subject and that never ends well.

Missileer

You say that Libby was punished. I fail to see how. Libby was sentenced to 30 months in Jail, 2 years probation and a $250,000 fine.

1. 30 months probation is gone. -Thanks to our glorious leader.

2. The Probation period is gone too, do to the fact that Libby got "supervised release" not actual probation. The legal loophole of 'supervised release' its only in effect AFTER being released from jail. In other words, No Jail, no supervised release.

see below
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19591231/

3. Which leaves the Fine in which the GOP cronies will obviously pay for him.

So I ask again, where is the punishment?

Well, mmarsh, how's this, you are a convicted felon which is a career and sometimes, life ending judgement. That can only be changed with a full pardon, which he didn't get.

Look up all the ramifications to having a criminal background and judge for yourself if that is a dandy way to end a career. I think that is punishment similar to banishment from society used in the past.

My Post was not meant to be sarcastic in the least, merely informational.

I will not be sending you an emal, and will not be responding to your Postings in the future, unless they are in your official capacity.

I cannot place you on ignore, but, I think I can remember for the future.

Okay, you guys can ding me for triple posts but I need to respond to each in a different manner.

Gator, whether you believe this or not, I am sorry your reaction to my post hurt your feelings, nevertheless, I stand by my opinion that your motive behind your post was as I described. It doesn't take a master of semantics to detect sarcasm.

I won't grieve over the fact that you will not send me a PM. As for responding to my posts, ditto.

Now, can we get back to the topic at hand and decide what nefarious intentions were behind the Bush decision to pardon Libby and how it affects our everyday lives and futures?

Missileer

Oliver North's conviction didn't seem to bother his new radio career, neither did it G.Gordon Liddy. As a matter of fact, both their careers are brighter now AFTER they got arrested than before. Unknowns to Superstardom in a NY minute. You also forget that Libby isn't going to be applying for a clerk job at the next door 7-11 where a criminal record might be a problem. Instead, he's going to go work for some GOP Conservative Think Tank or GOP-aligned Company who will view his conviction as a PLUS rather than a MINUS.

The Second thing is Libby's full pardon is only a matter of time. Many/Most of the guys in Iran-Contra and Watergate (both of which were graver offenses) WERE pardoned. Bush might wait until he's almost out the door to do it, but I have a crisp new $20 bill that says Libby's criminal record will be as clean as a baby's butt before Bush is out of a job.

Last edited:
Missileer

Oliver North's conviction didn't seem to bother his radio career, neither did it G.Gordon Liddy. As a matter of fact, both their careers are brighter now AFTER they got arrested than before, and unlike Scooter Libby these guys actually WENT to jail. Many if not all of the guys in Iran-Contra and Watergate (both of which were graver offenses) WERE pardoned. You also forget that Libby isn't going to be applying for a clerk job at the next door 7-11. He's going to go work for some GOP Conservative Think Tank or GOP-aligned Company who will view his conviction as a PLUS rather than a MINUS.

The Second thing is Libby's full pardon is only a matter of time. Bush might wait until he's almost out the door to do it, but I have a $20 bill that says Libby's criminal record will be as clean as a baby's butt before Bush is out of a job.

Trust me, Don't worry for Scooter he'll be just fine.

The fact that conservative talk radio is more successful than their liberal counterparts is simply the market getting what it wants. Air America failed because not enough people listened to pay the bills. And you're right about those people, talk radio, taking care of their own. Libby may find a golden parachute out there somewhere but his reputation and his family have suffered enough. I saw his Wife, who didn't do anything, break down and cry in court, so not all is coming up roses in the Libby family.

People don't pay for radio, Corporations pay for radio. And corporations are almost always pro-GOP, they also happen to control the airwaves as well.

I am sympathetic, but her situation is no different than any other wife who husband becomes a criminal. Lets not forget that Libby chose his destiny. He chose to mislead investigators, and he chose to protect Cheney (who deserved to take Libby place at Trial). Libby chose loyalty over justice and he paid for that. So if Mrs.Libby is upset, she should be upset at nothing else than the very poor choices her husband made. I am sure the trial was an ordeal, but it was their own fault. Libby's lucky to have been working for the Vice President, because it he had worked for any other boss he'd be printing license plates at the state pen. -imagine how upset she'd be by that.

I don't think their a felon in the world who wouldn't want the deal Scooter got.

Look up all the ramifications to having a criminal background and judge for yourself if that is a dandy way to end a career. I think that is punishment similar to banishment from society used in the past.

I am sure that for you and I a criminal background would be devastating however when you are in a position where you are not working to make ends meet it becomes less of a hindrance, somehow I don't think this conviction will relegate him to pushing a can filled supermarket trolley home to his cardboard box as it possibly would the average Joe.

To be honest the fine is small enough to be irrelevant given the financial resources available to him and he is a lawyer by trade so I doubt the stigma is going to be crippling therefore the only real punishment was the prison sentence and he has escaped that.

Essentially at the end of the trial the judge could have saved a lot of time by saying you have been found guilty you are free to go which kind of makes a mockery of the judicial system, I don't think it matters which party the president supports over ruling the judicial process for any reason is dangerous.

Last edited:
^^^Agree with that.

Its very much like the Paris Hilton situation last month. The "haves" those in power, have wealth, or in this case have powerful connections have once again proven that they can afford to buy justice.

And secondly, that the President has absolutely no respect for the law, no respect whatsoever. He does what he please, damn the legality.

To quote George Orwell

"All animals are created equal, but some animals are created more equal than others". -Animal Farm

Last edited:
I gotta agree with Monty, it's ludicrous. Just because a man is President should not give him the right to absolve his friends of crime.

Next we'll have bank robbers walking in and saying, "Just give me the money, I'm a friend of the President y'know".

And before you bother to tell me that I'm not a US citizen, I don't give a flying f**k, as this should apply to everyone, in any country in the world.

Last edited:
I gotta agree with Monty, it's ludicrous. Just because a man is President should not give him the right to absolve his friends of crime.

Next we'll have bank robbers walking in and saying, "Just give me the money, I'm a friend of the President y'know".

And before you bother to tell me that I'm not a US citizen, I don't give a flying f**k, as this should apply to everyone, in any country in the world.

Libby didn't commit a crime!

Maybe in Iran under the Law there he did not commit crimes, but in the United States of America he did, and he is still, at this point in time, guilty of committing said crimes, but, in 2009?..... who knows.

Anyone know the law on convicted felons being able to work in a federally funded job? Just curious. The whole "He can go work for XXXXX" may be a bit of a stretch.

Well,.... could you please tell me why a U.S. court handed down a sentence of 30 months jail against him?

I read that he was found guilty of compromising a CIA operative, and I'm sure that the judgement wouldn't have been by some backwoods circuit judge. Not only that, it appears that Libby did it for no other reason than to settle an old political score.

What's next, Senators selling military secrets to the enemy?

F*ckin' marvellous!

No, he was charged with perjury. The outing of a CIA agent was not provable because the source was another person. There was also the problem of varying testimony from Ms Plame and her grandstanding husband. I doubt that very many people from East Coast to West Coast of America even know or care about Libby, Wilson, and Plame. It's a tempest in a teapot at best.

http://www.nationalreview.com/may/may200407121105.asp
Our Man in Niger
Exposed and discredited, Joe Wilson might consider going back.

"Joe Wilson's cover has been blown. For the past year, he has claimed to be a truth-teller, a whistleblower, the victim of a vast right-wing conspiracy — and most of the media have lapped it up and cheered him on."

"But now Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV — he of the Hermes ties and Jaguar convertibles — has been thoroughly discredited. Last week's bipartisan Senate intelligence committee report concluded that it is he who has been telling lies."

"For starters, he has insisted that his wife, CIA employee Valerie Plame, was not the one who came up with the brilliant idea that the agency send him to Niger to investigate whether Saddam Hussein had been attempting to acquire uranium. "Valerie had nothing to do with the matter," Wilson says in his book. "She definitely had not proposed that I make the trip." In fact, the Senate panel found, she was the one who got him that assignment. The panel even found a memo by her. (She should have thought to use disappearing ink.)"

"In particular he said that President Bush was lying when, in his 2003 State of the Union address, he pronounced these words: "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."
We now know for certain that Wilson was wrong and that Bush's statement was entirely accurate."

"There's still more: As Susan Schmidt reported — back on page A9 of Saturday's Washington Post: "Contrary to Wilson's assertions and even the government's previous statements, the CIA did not tell the White House it had qualms about the reliability of the Africa intelligence."

"The Senate report says fairly bluntly that Wilson lied to the media. Schmidt notes that the panel found that, "Wilson provided misleading information to the Washington Post last June. He said then that he concluded the Niger intelligence was based on a document that had clearly been forged because "the dates were wrong and the names were wrong.'"

"The problem is Wilson "had never seen the CIA reports and had no knowledge of what names and dates were in the reports," the Senate panel discovered. Schmidt notes: "The documents — purported sales agreements between Niger and Iraq — were not in U.S. hands until eight months after Wilson made his trip to Niger."

"Now that we know that Mrs. Wilson did recommend Mr. Wilson for the Niger assignment, can we not infer that she was working at CIA headquarters in Langley rather than as an undercover operative in some front business or organization somewhere?"

"As I suggested in another NRO piece (Spy Games), if that is the case — if she was not working undercover and if the CIA was not taking measures to protect her cover — no law was broken by columnist Bob Novak in naming her, or by whoever told Novak that she worked for the CIA."

"It is against the law to knowingly name an undercover agent. It is not against the law to name a CIA employee who is not an undercover agent. For example, I know the identity of "Anonymous," the CIA employee who has now written a book trashing the Bush administration for its policies. But since he is not — to the best of my knowledge — a covert operative, I would be committing no crime were I to name him in this piece. Nor, I should add, did he attempt to hide his employment when we sat across a dinner table some months ago."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/24/AR2005102401690_pf.html
[FONT=helvetica,arial][SIZE=-1]washingtonpost.com[/SIZE][/FONT] .correction
Correction to This Article
An Oct. 25 article incorrectly said President Bush asserted during his January 2003 State of the Union message that Iraq was seeking nuclear material in Niger. The president said that Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had sought significant quantities of uranium in Africa.

[SIZE=+2]Husband Is Conspicuous in Leak Case[/SIZE]
Wilson's Credibility Debated as Charges In Probe Considered

"To his backers, Joseph C. Wilson IV is a brave whistle-blower wronged by the Bush administration. To his critics, he is a partisan who spouts unreliable information."

"He published a book, "The Politics of Truth: Inside the Lies that Led to War and Betrayed My Wife's CIA Identity." He persuaded his wife, Valerie Plame, to appear with him in a January 2004 Vanity Fair photo spread, in which the two appeared in his Jaguar convertible."

"Now, amid speculation that prosecutors could bring charges against White House officials this week, Republicans preparing a defense of the administration are reviving the debate about Wilson's credibility and integrity."

"Wilson's publicity efforts -- and his work for Sen. John F. Kerry's presidential campaign -- have complicated his efforts to portray himself as a whistle-blower and a husband angry about the treatment of his wife."

"The Vanity Fair photos, in particular, hurt Plame's reputation inside the CIA; both Wilson and Plame have said they now regret doing the photo shoot."

"Wilson's critics in the administration said his 2002 trip to Niger for the CIA to probe reports that Iraq was trying to buy uranium there was a boondoggle arranged by his wife to help his consulting business."

"Wilson has also armed his critics by misstating some aspects of the Niger affair. For example, Wilson told The Washington Post anonymouslyin June 2003 that he had concluded that the intelligence about the Niger uranium was based on forged documents because "the dates were wrong and the names were wrong."

"The Senate intelligence committee, which examined pre-Iraq war intelligence, reported that Wilson "had never seen the CIA reports and had no knowledge of what names and dates were in the reports." Wilson had to admit he had misspoken."

"That inaccuracy was not central to Wilson's claims about Niger, but his critics have used it to cast doubt on his veracity about more important questions, such as whether his wife recommended him for the 2002 trip, as administration officials charged in the conversations with reporters that special counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald is now probing. Wilson has maintained that Plame was merely "a conduit," telling CNN last year that "her supervisors asked her to contact me."

"But the Senate committee found that "interviews and documents provided to the committee indicate that his wife . . . suggested his name for the trip." The committee also noted a memorandum from Plame saying Wilson "has good relations" with Niger officials who "could possibly shed light on this sort of activity."

"In addition, notes on a State Department document surmised that Plame "had the idea to dispatch him" to Niger.
The CIA has always said, however, that Plame's superiors chose Wilson for the Niger trip and she only relayed their decision."

"Wilson also had charged that his report on Niger clearly debunked the claim about Iraqi uranium purchases. He told NBC in 2004: "This government knew that there was nothing to these allegations." But the Senate committee said his findings were ambiguous. Tenet said Wilson's report "did not resolve" the matter."

"On another item of dispute -- whether Vice President Cheney's office inspired the Wilson trip to Niger -- Wilson had said the CIA told him he was being sent to Niger so they could "provide a response to the vice president's office," which wanted more information on the report that Iraq was seeking uranium there. Tenet said the CIA's counterproliferation experts sent Wilson "on their own initiative."
Wilson said in a recent interview: "I never said the vice president sent me or ordered me sent."

Last edited:
Well,.... could you please tell me why a U.S. court handed down a sentence of 30 months jail against him?

I read that he was found guilty of compromising a CIA operative, and I'm sure that the judgement wouldn't have been by some backwoods circuit judge. Not only that, it appears that Libby did it for no other reason than to settle an old political score.

What's next, Senators selling military secrets to the enemy?

F*ckin' marvellous!

Political reasons... :bored:

Back