Busch Sweeps Road Poles

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Kurt Busch may want NASCAR to add a few more road courses to the NEXTEL Cup Series schedule.

Busch completed a sweep of road course poles by taking the top spot for Sunday's AMD at The Glen with a fast lap of 122.966 mph in Friday's qualifying session.​

The Miller Lite Dodge paced the day's NEXTEL Cup practice session earlier in the day at the historic upsatate New York road course and backed it up with his pole-winning effort.​

It is Busch's third pole of 2006 to go with his Bud Pole Awards at Fontana and Sonoma and the sixth in his NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Career.​

Kasey Kahne was second fastest in the qualifying session with Ryan Newman third, giving a Dodge a sweep of the first three spots. Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson rounding out the top five positions.​

Robby Gordon, Kevin Harvick, defending race winner Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. completed the first ten qualifiers.​

There were a few drivers who suffered trouble during the session including Greg Biffle, who slammed the guardrail on his lap.​

"It just got away from me," Biffle said. "I just got a little bit loose up through the esses. It's so tight up through there that there's just no room for error. The car just got out a little bit in the back and I got off the gas. These road race cars, with bars in the front and back, are real sensitive and the thing just started sliding and I couldn't quite get it back. It's unfortunate."​

Sterling Marlin blew his engine on his lap. He used a provisional to start 42nd in the race.​

Bill Elliott qualified 31st in the Evernham Motorsports Dodge, the first race for the car without Jeremy Mayfield, who was released earlier on Friday.​

Seven cars failed to qualify: Chris Cook, Max Papis, Tom Hubert, David Murry, Dale Quaterley, Johnny Miller and Brandon Ash.​

Sunday's AMD at the Glen will take the green flag at 1:30 p.m. (ET).​
http://www.racingone.com/article.aspx?artnum=30253

I've driven the Glen; out of the four tracks that I've been to, it's my favorite. Very technical and demanding, yet a helluva lot of fun because it's fast. It's too bad NASCAR won't run the "Boot", that would make the race a lot more interesting (more passing opportunities, etc.) -- but I was told that the Cup cars don't have enough brakes.

TI: what's with all the news, man? Trying to up the Milbucks for a big purchase? ;)

www.scda1.com

Pay $250 or so per day, you get to drive your own car. Be prepared to be wowed, sometimes some really great cars show up (I think I got buzzed by a Lotus Esprit Turbo one time -- he wasn't there as I entered the Esses, and then all of a sudden he was sitting on my rear bumper as we were going up the back straight).

From my place in Rockville, sir -- about 315 miles (six hours or so), according to Yahoo Maps.

Back