Burton is well-positioned again

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

INDIANAPOLIS -- Jeff Burton says he's never been very good at qualifying, but this year he would have a hard time convincing his NASCAR Nextel Cup Series colleagues of that.
Burton, who won the pole for the season-opening Daytona 500, yesterday claimed the best seat in the house for today's Allstate 400 at the Brickyard at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Burton, driver of the No. 31 Cingular Chevrolet fielded by owner Richard Childress, combined with rookie teammate Clint Bowyer, driver of the No. 07 Jack Daniel's Chevy, to make it an all-Childress front row.
``Qualifying has gone well for us this year," said Burton, who also won the pole at Chicagoland Speedway last month. ``Winning both [poles at Daytona and Indy] is really something special for me. In fact, I think I've gotten more poles this season than I have in my entire career.
``Overall, our average start [this season: 14.75; last six races: 8.5] has been really good. We'll just keep putting ourselves in position and keep working and hopefully good things will happen."
Burton edged out Bowyer for his fifth pole in 424 career Nextel Cup Series races when he turned in a lap of 182.778 miles per hour (49.270 seconds), which was two-1,000ths of a second faster than Bowyer's best lap (182.771). Afterward, both drivers headed to nearby O'Reilly Raceway Park to practice for last night's Kroger 200 Busch Series race, which was won by Kevin Harvick. Burton finished fifth, but Bowyer completed only 109 laps and wound up 40th.
``This is my first time [at Indy] and I wanted to start up front," Bowyer said. ``Track position is everything and qualifying draw is very important. Burton got me a little bit, but, hey, hats off to everybody at RCR and on this Jack Daniel's Chevrolet. We're going to be a force to be reckoned with."
Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 2 Dodge, qualified third (182.752) but was forced to go to his backup car when he tagged the wall in Turn 1 during the first of two afternoon practice sessions. As a result, Busch will have to start from the rear of the 43-car field.
``We were on a seven-lap run with scuffed tires and just blew a left front tire," Busch said. ``Obviously, it was unexpected. The team has already pulled out the backup and gone to work. It's not our best foot forward because that was a great car, almost a pole-sitting car."
That car, however, belonged to Burton.
``It's real rewarding to sit on any pole, but to sit on the pole here means a great deal," Burton said. ``And for Clint Bowyer to be on the outside pole is really special."

It's just a matter of time until Burton gets that win. and when he does, he'll celebrate so much the motor will blow:p

Back