Burning the American Flag.

Should Americans be allowed to burn the flag in protest?

• Total voters
The American flag should not be burned for any reason if you ask me. The whole idea of protestors burning it even if it is for a political purpose is stupid. The flag represents more than just government. It represents our freedoms, our country, our way of life. If one does not agree with a political matter, then they should have their little riot or protest and hold up their mudslinging signs etc. etc. Due to the fact that the flag stands for more than just goverment and politics, to burn it means you hate the country itself. If you hate the country itself get the heck out of the country you hate so much and protest against it in some third world country that hates it too.

Pardon my venting and by saying "you" in the above wordings, I am not accusing anybody or saying the poster of this thread or a replier to this thread is that person "you" refers too.

Th american flag can only be burnt for these two reasons If it is being retired, this is usually not done and if it falls on the ground, this is also usually not done by most.

I do not believe the American Flag should ever be burned. Especially by an American. It is unbelievable when protestors burn Old Glory. They should be grateful that they live in a country where they are fortunate enough to be allowed to protest. People in some third world countries who speak out against their government would be executed. When Saddam Hussein was still the dictator of Iraq, for example.

If the country that you're livin in ain't good enough for ya, go find another one. If you can't respect the symbols of the nation you live ... well, who asked you to stay, so get the hell out. I don't care what country you're living in, you don't desecrate the symbol of that nation.
:rambo:

Damn I wish some of you were on NationStates, someone else started a thread on there and everyone on that post thinks it should be burnt, they do not understand what the flag represents, they do not understand how many people that have died to defend everything the flag represents, they all think that burning the flag should be protected allowed. Then I pointed out that in most cases when the flag is burned people rarely remember what the people were protesting, only that they burned a flag in protest of something or another.

The flag should not be burned, not in protest anyways, if it is being retired that is one thing, or if it has been soiled, but to burn it in protest of the Fur industry is just wrong and criminal charges should follow. (I have only seen the flag burned twice by Americans, once to protest the Vietnam, and once to protest the use of fur.)

That is how I feel, others have a right to there opinion, but I don't ever want to see people burning the flag in protest of Iraq, especially if I am over there.

Freedom of expression, gentlemen. If you take away an American's right to burn his flag - you're taking away some of his freedom. Freedom that men faught, bled and died for and continue to do as to preserve what was earned for us.

As citizen in service to my country, it bothers me greatly to see the flag burned in protest of whatever event they may be protesting - however, it would disturb me even more to see the some of very freedoms that make this country what it is, taken away.

RnderSafe said:
Freedom of expression, gentlemen. If you take away an American's right to burn his flag - you're taking away some of his freedom. Freedom that men faught, bled and died for and continue to do as to preserve what was earned for us.

As citizen in service to my country, it bothers me greatly to see the flag burned in protest of whatever event they may be protesting - however, it would disturb me even more to see the some of very freedoms that make this country what it is, taken away.

Well, when I see people burning the flag I am still think of them as commies and traitors.

Catch 22, that is what we have here.

To not allow burning of the flag is to deny some of the very freedoms the flag represents.

But to burn the flag spits in the face of everything it stands for and every man and woman that fought for what the flag represents.

Damien435 said:
But to burn the flag spits in the face of everything it stands for and every man and woman that fought for what the flag represents.

And taking their right to burn it away, would do exactly the same.

I have only encountered a few protests where the burning of the flag has taken place. In my few experiences, water works relatively well in handling the situation. Anyone that had a problem with it, was welcome to meet me on a side street - no one has taken the offer.
They have the right to burn, I have the right to douse. :D

we can always call the fire dept. and have them use their hoses, once when i was in Navy League they gave me and my team(there were 4 of us) one of those heavy duty fire hoses and we held onto it, those things are really powerful, so when they burn the flag we can use that to put it out then for crowd control if anyone gets to close and poses a physical threat to my body. what is a physical threat you ask, well any hippie within 25ft of me poses a health hazard.

God Bless the NYFD, they marched straight into hell on 9-11 and some never came back.

Now this is an interesting discussion. I personally believe it should not be allowed. And as an American, I have the right to express this opinion. On the other hand, flag burning, however it is, is a form of expression. And, according to our First Amendment Rights, freedom of expression is allowed in this country as long as it does not threaten national security. And flag burning does not threaten national security. On the other hand again, what does the burning of our nation's flag express? for the nation? for the President? Who knows? I'm sure that whatever the point is can be gotten across with signs, marches and chants. Burning Old Glory really goes against common sense and should be refrained from.

Jason Bourne said:
if anyone gets to close and poses a physical threat to my body. what is a physical threat you ask, well any hippie within 25ft of me poses a health hazard.

25ft? isn't that cutting it a little close? :p

How about this.

If you want to burn a flag in public, you pay a burn permit fee. The municipality donates the fee to the local VA hospital.

In essence, it is freedom of expression. If our nation cannot withstand a citizen showing such disgust, then our nation has lost something precious and becomes just one of the pack.

I don't want America to be one of the pack.

It is the Soldier,
not the reporter who has given us freedom of press

It is the Soldier,
not the poet who has given us freedom of speech

It is the Soldier,
not the campus organizer who gives us freedom to demonstrate

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Father Dennis Edward O'Brien

thats all i got to say

Freedom of the people, that is what our country was founded on. I don't think the people who burn the Flag realize how much it means to so many people. That flag is a symbol, a symbol of pride, stained with the blood of so many who have gone to support what it represents. My bottom line is I believe that we have the right to free expression, it is not the governments business stopping that in any way. Burning the flag included! Just don't let me catch you doing it!

I don't think a flag should be burned in protest.

The only time a flag should be burned is if it touches the ground. I made sure that it never happended in my Air Cadet Squadron.

Americans should have respect for the American flag. The flag represents them.

Only the enemies of America burn the American flag
Or when the enemies have conquered America

Back