Burning the American Flag.

Should Americans be allowed to burn the flag in protest?

• Total voters
I can understand what people are saying about if we do not allow people to burn the flag then we are taking away there freedom. But if they find something wrong with our nation and have the NERVE to burn the flag, then they have given the nation the right to take that freedom away. As people say, you don't like it here, then leave. Not like people in America want people who hate living here.

The ironic thing about this is that most of the protesters who burn the US flag are kids who have never been deprived of a single thing their whole life. It just sickens me that kids from my generation are this ignorant to all that they have. Along with that, most of the biggest opponents to Bush are young kids. Does anyone see a correlation, I do. :?:

Lupos said:
The ironic thing about this is that most of the protesters who burn the US flag are kids who have never been deprived of a single thing their whole life. It just sickens me that kids from my generation are this ignorant to all that they have. Along with that, most of the biggest opponents to Bush are young kids. Does anyone see a correlation, I do. :?:

You wanna know what I find odd? Democrats claim to be the common mans party, the working man, yet everytime I drive by a house with a Tom Daschle(D) sign in the front yard I see a Corvette or a Posche or a Mustang or a $40,000 brand new SUV in the garage or driveway. But yes, I did notice that few "adults" burn the flag, I only see the flag burnt by hippies who believed in "free love" and smoked their lives away.

Personally I think there are other forms of protest other than flagburning, i think anyone that would want to burn an American flag in protest in a post 9/11/01 America, should have the right as an American, but i think they should also, have there butt's run out of the country. If they hate us that much then there not truely an American and should go somewhere else. Oh and thanks for all the suggestions of hoses, if I ever come across flag burners in my lifetime, they had better be prepared to get wet!!!!!!!

It is wrong period.. What would another Country feel about someone from America burnin their Flag? Canada? Switzerland? Russia? Iraq? France? etc... Come on folks they would be all kinds of pissed. For the most part, whether you agree or disagree with the politics of a Nation there is no reason to burn one's National Flag. There are several ways to protest for what you think is right.

I have never agreed with the burning of the American flag in protest, in fact if I ever caught someone doing it they would have an extra wide size 13 boondocker lodged in their :cen: . However I cherish freedom and the second we begin regulating such things is the second someone is going to attempt to regulate something that I might not want regulated. The whole moral value system we live in is based on the choice. You take the choices away and the don't become that moral victory. Finally you have to look at it from the cost analyst point of view. Is is really worth to the tax payers to spend the money to write a new law and regulation, spend the money enforcing it and spend the money administrating it. More court cases more time in jail etc. The is a lot of money to be throwing around if you look at it and I don't think of it to be worth it.

This came up in my AP World History class today, the teacher made a comment about burning flags and if we should be allowed to do it or not, I said that burning the flag was like desicrating the memories of all those who fought to preserve the flag, she then said that those men died to protect our right to burn the flag. My response "I am not gonna go and risk my life so some ungrateful pissant can burn the flag." That managed to silent the class quite quickly, of course she did not believe that I was in the Army and said I had no right to make a comment like that, I just shrugged and ignored her for the rest of class, she proceeded to go further off the topic of the class and talk about her dog.

Good for you. We all served for people to have the right to do what they want, however you are right it is disrespectful in my opinion and they should all be burned right along with the Flag they are holdin.

Burning my country's flag? How could I ever teach my kid what respect, pride and courage are all about if I did such a thing?

I'm with RnderSafe with this one as in most things. I am deeply troubled to see the flag burned in protest, fortunately those have been few times, but I would be more troubled to learn that doing so had been banned. No errosion of liberty should be tolerated - that includes the liberty to say and represent things we do not like or agree with. When all you hear is people agreeing with you, you aren't learning very much. Such a thing as banning the flag being burnt would be the first allowance of supressing those who disagree. That is a much more terrible thing than seeing the flag go up in flames. Aside from that, how would you regulate the official means of retiring an old and wornout or weather damaged flag? The rules call for burning it as that means. Would you then have to go get a special permit to retire your old flag?

There are rights and there are rights. Your right to swing your fist stops at the end of my nose. There is a right to speech depending what is in the speech. Inciting to riot is against the law, screaming fire in a crowd is against the law. Rights are tempered by responsible use of those rights. There are limits.

No matter what the protest you shouldnt be allowed to burn the flag of any country. Its a disgrace if you ask me. All your doing is dishonouring your country thus dishonouring yourself. Your only letting yourself down by showing the level you can stoop to, to make a point. All the ones that do this need a kick up the backside. Its a different story when its not your countries flag and the protest is for human rights

Personally speaking I would consider it insult to all those that died fighting for their country, and a cheap protest at their expense

f1f63453.gif

No! A flag is a nation's most sacred treasure, a symbol of the people themselves. It should never be burned.

^^^ As do I. I realize that the freedom of expression should never be taken away, but when our Founding Fathers gave us that freedom, I'm sure they assumed we would be reasonable about where the line was drawn between expression and downright rudeness.

Back