Burning the American Flag. - Page 2

View Poll Results :Should Americans be allowed to burn the flag in protest?
Yes, any cause. (i.e. Anti-Fur protestors) 5 10.20%
Yes, only if it is to protest government actions. 4 8.16%
No. 40 81.63%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

September 5th, 2004  
AlexKall

I thikn anyone should be able to burn a flag if they want to heh
September 6th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

we can always call the fire dept. and have them use their hoses, once when i was in Navy League they gave me and my team(there were 4 of us) one of those heavy duty fire hoses and we held onto it, those things are really powerful, so when they burn the flag we can use that to put it out then for crowd control if anyone gets to close and poses a physical threat to my body. what is a physical threat you ask, well any hippie within 25ft of me poses a health hazard.

God Bless the NYFD, they marched straight into hell on 9-11 and some never came back.
September 6th, 2004  
silent driller

Now this is an interesting discussion. I personally believe it should not be allowed. And as an American, I have the right to express this opinion. On the other hand, flag burning, however it is, is a form of expression. And, according to our First Amendment Rights, freedom of expression is allowed in this country as long as it does not threaten national security. And flag burning does not threaten national security. On the other hand again, what does the burning of our nation's flag express? for the nation? for the President? Who knows? I'm sure that whatever the point is can be gotten across with signs, marches and chants. Burning Old Glory really goes against common sense and should be refrained from.
--
Boots
September 8th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne
if anyone gets to close and poses a physical threat to my body. what is a physical threat you ask, well any hippie within 25ft of me poses a health hazard.
25ft? isn't that cutting it a little close? :P
September 8th, 2004  
Airborne Eagle

How about this.

If you want to burn a flag in public, you pay a burn permit fee. The municipality donates the fee to the local VA hospital.

In essence, it is freedom of expression. If our nation cannot withstand a citizen showing such disgust, then our nation has lost something precious and becomes just one of the pack.

I don't want America to be one of the pack.
September 8th, 2004  
Darkmb101

It is the Soldier,
not the reporter who has given us freedom of press

It is the Soldier,
not the poet who has given us freedom of speech

It is the Soldier,
not the campus organizer who gives us freedom to demonstrate

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Father Dennis Edward O'Brien

thats all i got to say
September 8th, 2004  
Caffeine

Freedom of the people, that is what our country was founded on. I don't think the people who burn the Flag realize how much it means to so many people. That flag is a symbol, a symbol of pride, stained with the blood of so many who have gone to support what it represents. My bottom line is I believe that we have the right to free expression, it is not the governments business stopping that in any way. Burning the flag included! Just don't let me catch you doing it!
September 12th, 2004  
AFSteliga

I don't think a flag should be burned in protest.

The only time a flag should be burned is if it touches the ground. I made sure that it never happended in my Air Cadet Squadron.
September 12th, 2004  
AlexKall

"who allows the protester to burn the flag."

The law or the one who created that law.
September 13th, 2004  
SAINT

Americans should have respect for the American flag. The flag represents them.

Only the enemies of America burn the American flag
Or when the enemies have conquered America