Burglar sues homeowner that shot him

Quote:
Originally Posted by major liability
I don't see the point of arguging over whether a firearm is a tool or a weapon.
The point of establishing the fact is to keep the subsequent debate on track. If you go into a debate accepting erroneous basic information as fact, the rest of the debate is a complete waste of time.

It's more along the lines of: A weapon IS a tool. It's like arguing over whether or not lettuce is a vegetable or a plant.

Last edited:
What a crock .....

The point of establishing the fact is to keep the subsequent debate on track. If you go into a debate accepting erroneous basic information as fact, the rest of the debate is a complete waste of time.

What the hell does whether a gun is a tool or a weapon have to do with whether you kill a burgler when you catch them in your home?

Let me catch one of them suckers in my home, and I'd kill em with an iron, rock, feather duster, knife or a gun ... it don't make a dam(n) whether it is a weapon or a tool to me ... what is important is whether this dude who is in my home to rob me, is fit for a slab or not - his body will be stone cold when I am done and the law be damned.

What the hell does whether a gun is a tool or a weapon have to do with whether you kill a burgler when you catch them in your home?

Let me catch one of them suckers in my home, and I'd kill em with an iron, rock, feather duster, knife or a gun ... it don't make a dam(n) whether it is a weapon or a tool to me ... what is important is whether this dude who is in my home to rob me, is fit for a slab or not - his body will be stone cold when I am done and the law be damned.

To paraphrase our illustrious Chief...
Ugh, me kill bad man, ugh. Chief not like bad man. Chief not like books.
caveman.gif

I just don't like persons trying to skew the facts to suit their upcoming argument. It's best nipped in the bud.

How about we quit with the exercise in semantics and declare it to be both a tool and weapon?

That way we can move on with discussion as everyone wins.

Last edited:
I couldn't see the point of stating the obvious. Unless of course, someone denied the fact, but that situation never arose.

Any of youse guys heard of Venn Diagrams? Oi, let me make this simple...

All weapons are tools. Though not all tools are weapons. Weapons are a sub-set of the larger group we call tools. If you find yourself unable to comprehend this logic, YOU are in fact a tool and not a member of the subset we call weapons, you are just a tool.

:)

^^^^

Good point, I can accept that. I just don't accept the fact that somepeople try and equate a hammer and a shotgun as being one and the same. The English language differenciates the two. Our nations Law enforcement do not refer as weapons as tools. For example: The crime "Assault with a deadly WEAPON" is clearly defined as a WEAPON. As a matter of fact if a screwdriver is used as weapon its still referred to as "a weapon".

But yes, a weapon can be considered as a sub-category of a tool.

No doubt. I can't even remember the words to look them up. I tried pronouncing them outloud and got told to deposit my pocket change in the curse jar.

Jesus H. Christ... ( :) ) an enthymeme is the common ground in an argument. A point that all sides can agree on. It is crucial in any debate or argument that is to have any impact. Once you have the enthymeme you can then move on to logical statements (syllogisms) that move the listener from the enthymeme to your point of view. It is argued that once you get someone to agree to an enthymeme you can lead them down a logical path to ANYTHING you want them to believe.

Now, dontcha just feel smarter already.

:)

Jesus H. Christ... ( :) ) an enthymeme is the common ground in an argument. A point that all sides can agree on. It is crucial in any debate or argument that is to have any impact. Once you have the enthymeme you can then move on to logical statements (syllogisms) that move the listener from the enthymeme to your point of view. It is argued that once you get someone to agree to an enthymeme you can lead them down a logical path to ANYTHING you want them to believe.

Now, dontcha just feel smarter already.

Why didn't you say so in the first place?

Reading comprehension not your strongsuit eh? Try reading the Sergeant's post directly above yours.

As for the usefulness of your plinking should you be drafted- NO. It does not help you in the least. What you are doing now and what you would be taught (assuming you are in fact trainable) are world's apart. In point of fact all those little things you do now when shooting are in fact bad habits your Drill Sergeants will have to break you of and then RE-train your sorry butt into something that can SHOOT, move and communicate.

As you were, I now return you to your previous delussional state.
:dive:

Actually, I was taught proper shooting technique by a Marine in the family. What part of my post was delusional? Or did you just feel like insulting me?

What I was trying to say in my post was
Firearm used for plinking/target shooting - tool
Firearm used for hunting/fighting - weapon

Last edited:
:cen: And here I sat, thinking this was a discussion about a man who shot a burgler and was sued by the burgler ... didn't know it was a discussion about language and the root definition of words ... how gauche .......

Actually, I was taught proper shooting technique by a Marine in the family. What part of my post was delusional? Or did you just feel like insulting me?

What I was trying to say in my post was
Firearm used for plinking/target shooting - tool
Firearm used for hunting/fighting - weapon

How often do you practice suppressive fire? How often do you practice moving and shooting and communicating with a platoon? How often do you engage in night fire exercises? THAT is the point. And I'll stand by the fact that you would have a lot to unlearn... but then you don't feel the need to volunteer to serve so what's the point discussing it, right?

See previous post regarding tools and weapons. Engage dictionary.

Chief, you cannot divorce language and the meaning words convey from a discussion. Especially when trying to alter the opinion of diametrically opposed parties in an argument such as gun control, abortion or slavery. Knuckle draggin is great but at times you can win the fight by elevating your discourse and educating your opponent to your side.

I find it absurd that criminals recieve protection when in progress of their evil deeds. People have every right to defend themselves, their family and belongings. The problem is people think that taking away people's right to do some cleaning out the gene pool of these scumbags is good for us. It is also gave birth to sue happness and paramilitary police.

We need to go back to the old way of doing things. Where everyone had guns and they had the shieff and his deputies. That kept the crime at a fairly low level.

I don't understand how people can say it is wrong to protect yourself with lethal force when it is possible that the intruder is armed with a firearm and may have an intent to kill if he deemed it necessary. You CANNOT assess this while you're suddenly awakened during the middle of the night due to some noise downstairs, lights are generally off, you have no idea how many people are inside etc.
It's easy to say "it was excessive force" when it's all over but in reality, you as the homeowner has only ONE chance to get it right. If you are wrong once, your life and perhaps that of your family as well, can be over.
As for the burglar, he shouldn't be in anyone's else's house to begin with. Period.
As for shooting in the back, you don't know when this guy is going to turn around and shoot. Maybe he turned around and ran to get some distance so he could pull out HIS pistol. You just don't know.
If you have trouble getting any grip of this, then here's something you can try as an extracurricular activity. Go paintballing with your buddies. Make sure there are lots and LOTS of obstacles. Make sure the playing area is pretty small. Make sure it's DARK. Enjoy. Let's see how well you assess the situation while knowing your life isn't in danger.

Back