Bullying in the Armed Forces

Cesar

My brother is in the Army, and has told me about cases of bullying, intimidation and violence. They're not a massive issue, but they do happen - some people aren't as strong as they may have thought they were, and find themselves out of their depth.

Just wondered if anyone here had experienced cases of it - hazing I think some people call it, or if you knew how widespread it is.

My brother is bullied by no one, but he knows people who have been.

Yes, you're right of course. I suppose one of the differences in that in the Armed Forces, it would be more difficult to get away from it. That's one of the reasons that a career choice like this shouldn't be made lightly.

From what I've seen, the majority of it is because some people decide they don't want to do their job, and be sh*tbags. Or they're just plain stupid and get people screwed over.

It depends on how you define it, and what is acceptable I guess.
Had a SNCO that indulged in mind games that fuked everyone around to his malicious pleasure.
Never seen anything really physical in my career other than the odd slap across the back of the head for someone being really stupid.....

You have to consider the unit or type of troops involved.
Airborne infantry would be a good extreme for several reasons.
I saw that.
Rough tough guys not necessarily the best nor brightest can get pretty rough and tough.
The new PC army has prolly changed some of that.
Rough and tough is what is needed for such a job.
Marines very similar.

Good point Mike about particular units etc. USMC used to revel in their tough punsihments etc. Plenty of books with that theme in them.
British Royal Marines are a pretty hairy bunch as well. Would hate to deal with them after one of their drinking binges!
Any redcaps care to share a story or two?

Back