Bullpup or classic rifle design?

Bullpup or Classic design

• Bullpup

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Classic

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
I prefer the "classic" design...it's what I'm trained on, and I find it less cumbersome to reload, among other things.

With more and more of the infantry combat being a strictly urban affair, I feel that bullpup is going to be the neccessary compromise to make.

Although I loved the SLR, I am a big fan of the Steyr AUG. So I voted for Bullpup design, because I've found it to be a very handy, very accurate, and very easy to use.

Missileer said:
Classic, the bullpup is okay for small, special squads working in close ranges.

Yes, but fighting in buildings and out of Humvees is the way wars are wom now-a-days. There arn't big maneuvers around pastures and farmhouses anymore.

Prefered the SLR, enjoy the compactness of the Steyr and the off the shelf add ons for it.
M4 is pretty good too if you like the M16 family of weapons.

5.56X45mm said:
For rifles I'm for the classic design. For CQB I think that the FN P90 takes the cake.

Well, I'm with you in theory that I'd actually like to see standard rifles issued for "general" army units and carbines for MOUT fighting. However, I think it would be a better expenditure of money to have one rifel to do the job, which is why I like bullpup designs.

The other remedy is the compactness in the XM-8s flexibility. You can do the same thing as having two weapons by switching out a shorter stock and barrel in the same XM-8 you used in the field before being deployed to the big city.

Last edited:
Whispering Death said:
Yes, but fighting in buildings and out of Humvees is the way wars are wom now-a-days. There arn't big maneuvers around pastures and farmhouses anymore.

That right? I reckon 2/3 Marines who operate up in the Kunar province in Afghanistan might disagree with you there.

Yes, but searching caves is a pretty specialized task that is not going to be the norm in warfare over the next century. you surely will not disagree.

I'm not saying there are never going to be situations where a long rifle is prefreable, in fact a long rifle has proven to be an excellent weapon through the test of time.

But the fact is that by 2010 75% of the world's population is going to live in cities. You don't have to clear country roads or nameless patches of ground anymore and when you do it's usually going to be done out of a humvee or other such vehicle.

Whispering Death said:
Well, I'm with you in theory that I'd actually like to see standard rifles issued for "general" army units and carbines for MOUT fighting. However, I think it would be a better expenditure of money to have one rifel to do the job, which is why I like bullpup designs.

The other remedy is the compactness in the XM-8s flexibility. You can do the same thing as having two weapons by switching out a shorter stock and barrel in the same XM-8 you used in the field before being deployed to the big city.

Yes but what prevents a soldier from changing his upper on the M16 to and M4, or vise versa?

Whispering Death said:
Yes, but searching caves is a pretty specialized task that is not going to be the norm in warfare over the next century. you surely will not disagree.

I'm not saying there are never going to be situations where a long rifle is prefreable, in fact a long rifle has proven to be an excellent weapon through the test of time.

But the fact is that by 2010 75% of the world's population is going to live in cities. You don't have to clear country roads or nameless patches of ground anymore and when you do it's usually going to be done out of a humvee or other such vehicle.

I'm not talking about searching caves.

Your assertion seems to be that 'open country' conventional land operations are a thing of the past. Is that is based on what you know of the nature of operations being conducted in OIF right now?
If so then you are being extremely short sighted with regards to possible future operations.
MOUT have been conducted for thousands of years. It would be a huge mistake to predict future warfare based on the operations being conducted at present.

Well, I think Bullpup is the way to go in the near future. Singapore has developed a very good Bullpup rifle named SAR21. They are going to replace the M-16 and AR-15 they are using now to SAR21!

Bullpup's great if you don't have to retrain a million people that have been trained on standard-style weapons...then it just gets painful.

Back